Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Don't you think that XTR 2011 looks gopping, quite frankly..?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong – this stuff probably all works amazingly well and remains seriously bling, but Shimano seem to have seriously beaten it with the ugly stick this time IMHO! Or is it just an acquired taste?

Exhibit 1:

THAT chainset. It looks like something camp from Buck Rogers, or a chainset melting into a blur of stupid artistic whirringness.

Exhibit 2:

The rear mech has just degenerated into something of a vaguely robotic and clumsy unfinished mess.

Okay, shoot me down in flames if you like… 😉

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

No, I completely agree.

Think they will sell a lot of brakesets though.

😆

Houns

Think it’s gorgeous (well as gorgeous as kit for a mountain bike can look)

mattp
    Free Member

Teeth missing from the chain ring – that doesn’t look like a good design to me

bassspine
    Free Member

Looks fine to me. I love a nice swooshy reverse swastika.

I want some of that giant chain…

or maybe it’s just a bloke with teeny hands…

druidh
    Free Member

Looks stunning IMHO – although the new brake levers really are the best bit of all

markenduro
    Free Member

Was looking at the brakes today in Swinnertons and they really are a thing of beauty, not sure about prices though, bet they will be more htna this years xt…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Those brakes look sort of retro to me. Still wouldn’t mind a set like. I think the ‘Trail’ cranks look better than the ‘race’ ones, too.

Tom83

The brakes are nice, not fussed about the chainset or mech though.

bol

I think it will look better on some bikes than others. Nice on very blingy carbon and Ti; dumb on heavy duty, industrial ally bikes.

Oggles
    Free Member

I’m going to go against the grain here and say that those brake levers look horrid.

Cranks good. Calipers good.

rtb25
    Free Member

Yep, agreed – the brake levers, derailleur and crankset all look awful! On the other hand, I’m quite a fan of the SLX design…

RealMan
    Free Member

Chainset looks great, rear mechs look nearly identical to the old ones IMO. Brakes look good, but when you see them on a bike they look too big. Wouldn’t say no to a set though.

Nezbo
    Free Member

I’d have to aggress with Oggles, but the brake I wouldn’t say horrid but not the best looking brakes out there.

tandaylor
    Free Member

Tourney mech looks wicked! The lower jockey looks like it could replace your back wheel.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Function over form for me. Looks like a chain set to me.

RoterStern
    Free Member

In the flesh the XTR cranks look more ‘complete’ than last year’s model. They have gone back to using a pinch bolt to hold the left crank rather than that ugly lock ring.

brakes
    Free Member

they look really nice in the flesh, apart from the brake calipers, which look a bit amorphous like all shimano brakes and I don’t like the chrome finish

paulwf

Why do the tourney rear mechs have huge lower jockey wheels?

Junkyard
    Free Member

fairly gash Surely XTR is mainly about going look I can afford XTR whilst telling everyone you bought it for it’s reliability /durability?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

XTR is funny, cos you can’t see it and not want to touch it… I have the new “trail” brakes and they are truly epic! I think i will stick with my old xtr drivetrain though cos the cranks do look better, and it has never missed a beat.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ugly or not its overpriced and a waste of money, despite the added designer obsolescence.

ziggy
    Free Member

ugly or not its overpriced and a waste of money

In your opinion obviously 😉

How many of the above posters have seen or even tried new XTR in the flesh I wonder.

brakes
    Free Member

me

cynic-al
    Free Member

tried all the previous ones, this ain’t gonna be any different.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    tried all the previous ones, this ain’t gonna be any different.

So you haven’t… There you go.

snakebite
    Free Member

The brakes do look nice and they are amazingly powerful. I’m probably gonna stick with the 10 speed XT chainset/mech though…

GW
    Free Member

XTR has almost always been uglier than XT IMO.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone know how much a set of the finned brake pads will cost?

I’m tempted to buy a set as pads for dry days abroad which seem to galze over normal pads really quickly even when I’m trying not to mince.

Also, do they fit other/older XTR callipers?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If your Buck Rogers analogy is anything to go by, then I’ll be ordering 2 sets

steve_b77
    Free Member

I think it all looks rather nice, can’t afford it though 😥

snakebite
    Free Member

rrp is 29.99 for the standard XTR pads, the finned ones hadn’t arrived on Friday when I called in for some-and they wont fit older XTR brakes..

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

The finned ones are £34.99, but they are sintered, so SHOULD last a fair wee while…

snakebite
    Free Member

my finned ones lasted a ride….Shimano have them at the moment 😯

chrisdb
    Free Member

seriously considering the brakes – how good are they – any comparisons?

snakebite
    Free Member

Better than any I have used for power.

Starrman28
    Free Member

Whats not to like? But do we really need finned brake pads, esp in UK?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Don't you think that XTR 2011 looks gopping, quite frankly..?’ is closed to new replies.