Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Don't trust me electric meter
  • sandwicheater

Recently set up my own business and the office I rent has a flat above it.

The electric is fed into my office where the elec meter is situated. The flat above has a meter that is fed of my own. As such, I get the bill, deduct what there meter shows and pay my portion. Fair enough.

My only gripe is they are unemployed and are in the flat all day running a washing machine/fridge etc every minute of every day*. I run two pc’s, printer (that I turn off after use every time), lights (LED lamps), pdq machine and an electric radiator. Hmm, it all adds up actually.

The bill has arrived and we’re using the same amount of leccy as the flat. Now this could be true but i’m ever so suspicious. Does a cheap devise exist that I can attach to my plugs (4 plugs in use) to check the usage against the meter?

*may be a slight exaggeration

peterfile
    Free Member

The thing is, you can get a device that will allow you to check what’s actually going on, but you need to think about whether it’s worth it at this stage. Once trust has gone, it is very very hard to build back up, and it sounds to me like you and your electricity meter are having problems already.

Have you tried Relate?

Are there any children involved? If no, I say just cut your losses and move on.

sandwicheater

I’m not sure i’m ready to pull the plug on our relationship.

peterfile
    Free Member

Has the spark gone?

Sometimes the resistance to change, or not keeping things current can place a huge drain on a relationship.

sandwicheater

Damn it, I was just writing about my resistance to commit.

nickjb
    Free Member

Plenty for around a tenner:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLUG-IN-ELECTRICITY-COST-USAGE-CALCULATOR-METER-NEW-/201024716307?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p90072?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googleshopping&mkwid=syEju3Hn&pcrid=25046301263&gclid=CO3tpc-I4L0CFefMtAod_DQAlQ

Have a go if you like but depending on how much use the rad gets it sounds about right. Domestic use would be low during the day. TVs don’t use much, lights won’t be on. The odd cup of tea and a fridge won’t be much

jon1973
    Free Member

I would expect they’re electricity bill to be higher if they’re at ohm all day.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I run my fridge all day too.

Yours,

A. Scrounger

sandwicheater

I’ve unplugged the fridge. Was just cooling my milk.

I now have tea without milk.

Blooming heck I’m tight. Even changed the way I wipe to save on paper.

trail_rat
    Free Member

2 pcs and an electric rad ….. Not surprised if its similar to a house costs …..

scotroutes

Install your own meter and pay according to what that records (the Red Bull Racing option).

sharkbait
    Free Member

The bill has arrived and we’re using the same amount of leccy as the flat.

The only way they could be doing that is to have an extension cable running from your office up into the flat above (unless the wiring is messed up and there are sockets in the flat that are wired to your meter – not inconceivable).
    PC’s can be thirsty little sods and a monitor is the same as a TV screen.

You’re electric rad will probably be 1.5-3Kw. How do they heat the flat?

sandwicheater

How do they heat the flat?

I’m so suspicious right now I’m going to assume burning kittens, children and electric radiators*

I’d not considered the computers & monitors would be so thirsty. Think a vest and turn the radiators

With the new business money is very tight and I think it’s effecting my ability to reason.

* or gas. Yes, definitely gas.

jonk

Check how much the standing charges are they can eat into your bill especially if your a low user.

wwaswas

Unless you genuinely think the people in the flat have some circuits running off your meter there’s nothing to worry about is there?

Just turn everything off in your office when you know they’re in and see what your meter does?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Just go up an smack em about a bit, after all their only unemployed and why are they using a washing machine if they are unemployed, most unemployed people are dirty arent they ??

sandwicheater

good call cheekyboy, I could sell it to cover my leccy bill. Blooming unemployed, trying to take our jobs smelling of roses, why in my day they had the good manners to stay in the streets.

bikebouy
    Free Member

eating Cadbury’s Roses

FIFY

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Don't trust me electric meter’ is closed to new replies.