Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Don't speak ill of the dead….. (Ian Brady)
  • mt
    Free Member

Of course his death should be reported, this guy cast a shadow over a whole region for many years. There may be many who will be pleased he has at last gone, some of those sad that he left a question un-answered. On the whole the report of his demise is welcome but will any lessons have been learned.

anagallis_arvensis

Since he went to Ashworth he’s cost the taxpayer in the region of £1,280.000

Worth every penny, killing people like that is an easy way out.

tjagain

What I have never understood is why when more than ten years ago Brady went on hunger strike wanting to die was he force fed as he has been since. Expensive, why not let him die and in no other circumstances other than a prisoner are people ever force fed

garage-dweller

We were debating this last night at home. The conclusions we reached were…

While he was alive there was a prospect no matter how remote (and I accept it was incredibly remote) he would give a clue to or reveal the last body’s location whether deliberately or by accident.

While he was alive and particularly when so unwillingly his punishment and discomfort continued.

I’m a bit biased in my view because I am against capital punishment for all sorts of reasons but that’s not a debate for here.

Edit and in my view to an extent the cost is irrelevant, it is the price of a civilised society and in the scheme of national finances it is a drop in the ocean (£1.2million was the figure I believe). Edit, deleted last sentence way too easy for someone to miss / misunderstand the point

Edukator
    Free Member

If just one innocent person is saved from hanging the cost of keeping all the other “life means life” prisoners is justified. Consider the number of convicted rapists who had to be released in the US when DNA testing became available. The justice system isn’t perfect and it’s good that the Birmingham six (for example were still alive to be let out when the miscarriage of justice came to light.

I agree that force feeding should not be carried out.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll pile in. I know very little about the story, other than News feeds, but I get the impression that at the time this case was a really big deal and most of the Country was horrified at the acts of brutality.

So, whilst I’m inclined to come down on he side of humanity in this instance there could have been a far better way of an ending a few years ago by all accounts…

thegreatape
    Free Member

What I have never understood is why when more than ten years ago Brady went on hunger strike wanting to die was he force fed as he has been since. Expensive, why not let him die and in no other circumstances other than a prisoner are people ever force fed

AIUI – Mentally well prisoners are allowed to starve themselves. Mentally ill ‘patients’ are not. Brady was, legally, the latter.

Going off on a tangent, I don’t know if deliberate starvation is then used as evidence of mental illness? Perhaps not on its own – the IRA hunger strikers weren’t force fed, although that was a long time ago.

theotherjonv

The force feeding argument – the official answer is because he was deemed to be mentally ill and therefore not capable of deciding for himself. Hence why he was kept at Ashworth, and not in prison.

Moot point, I guess, about whether a serial torturer and murderer of small children could ever be considered sane, but that’s the actual reason.

I too am totally anti- capital punishment, but this pair and their like do stretch my thinking more than most.

Coyote
    Free Member

If you are allowing someone to starve themselves to death then aren’t you effectively assisting them in suicide? Is there not a legal precedent for maintaining life wherever possible? IANAL.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, hard to come to terms with in some respects, but that’s what differentiates us from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-39926914

Agreed. We can’t criticise savages like the Saudis for chopping peoples heads off in the street, then execute mentally ill people.

People like Brady are broken – they are hard-wired differently to ‘normal’ people. They can’t be fixed, and personally I think it would be unethical to execute people who are in effect ‘disabled’
    The only thing we as a civilised society can/should do is lock them up for ever, but treat them with dignity and respect. (unlike the Saudis)

I think keeping him locked up and ‘treating’ him against his will by keeping him alive for years was the right thing to do.

beefheart
    Free Member

Calling someone like this ‘disabled’ is a bit of a cop out- some people are just wronguns.

When guilt has been proven beyond question, I don’t see why drugs/torture techniques could not have been used on him (as he did to children) to extract information about where he buried those kids- to at least give the families some peace.

teasel
    Free Member

Woah…! What’s with all this “feed ‘im to the pigs” shit? I like a bit of bacon and the thought of somehow digesting a molecule of Brady…

Let’s just say I’ve seen enough horrors films to know what comes next!

GrahamS

Why is his death the lead on BBC news website?
    It should not be reported.

Agreed. Brady reportedly loved his notoriety.

He would have enjoyed seeing the papers and media screaming his name in headlines one last time.

It should have been a footnote on page 9.

RustySpanner

Because we’re better than that.

Was up there walking a few weeks ago and ride the Isle of Skye road a few times a year.
    I try not to think about what happened there, but it always crosses your mind, especially when you’re near to where the three children’s bodies were found.

Like everyone else who grew up in Manchester around that time or shortly after, it was part of our consciousness.
    Our parents were perhaps a bit more cautious than usual for the time and it was talked about in hushed voices.

I hope Keith is found.
    [video]https://youtu.be/tHaUiHextFk[/video]

gonzy
    Free Member

good riddance to the evil bastard c***!!
    i really hope he suffered unimaginable pain in his final moments….its the least he deserved.
    he spent 79 years on this earth when he should have really been executed for his crime if the death penalty was still in place.
    what galls me is the fact that he knew he would be treated with kid gloves in prison because he had a bargaining chip….the locations of his victims.
    the bastard should have had that info tortured out of him straight after his conviction and then put to a slow and painful death.

i hope he burns in hell for what he did along with his bitch girlfriend Myra Hindley

my heart goes out to the family of poor Keith Bennett

BoardinBob

😆

freeagent
    Free Member

Calling someone like this ‘disabled’ is a bit of a cop out- some people are just wronguns.

Yeah I know – can’t quite think of the right term, hence me suggesting he was ‘broken’
    I still think as a civilised society we did the right thing with him.

CountZero

I wasn’t suggesting he be fed to pigs, rather that his ashes tipped into the mud in a pigsty, or preferably, a midden.
    While there was always that faint hope that the bastard would finally ease the suffering of the poor lady whose son’s remains are still missing, I’m increasingly of the opinion that the body was put somewhere so anonymous that Brady could no longer remember the location clearly anymore.
    Keeping him alive, against his wishes, and suffering a number of terminal diseases I feel were better punishment than allowing him to die earlier.
    I hope that the missing lad’s remains are found one day, and he can be given the decent burial he’s been denied all these years, for the sake of his extended family.
    Anyone who’s heard any of the recordings Brady and Hindley made of the children as they were raped and abused, or read the transcripts of their words can only feel the utmost horror, and be haunted by their suffering.
    Lesley Ann Downey’s words, for example: “Please, God, help me… I want to see my mummy”
    😥

teasel
    Free Member

It’s cool, CZ, no need to get paranoid… 🙂

Pondo » Head on a spike, feed the rest to the pigs

Though I see my outrage was preceded by Alpin’s protest on page 1. Addled minds n all that…

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

This probably won’t do any good for my popularity, but Ian Brady’s death brings to mind this:

http://thesumpplug.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/uncle-jim-cobley-and-all.html

According to extracts from Myra Hindley’s diary quoted in Emlyn Williams’s Beyond Belief, she and Ian Brady were indeed regular punters at the New Elizabethan Ballroom at the now-demolished Belle Vue pleasure grounds, in Manchester’s Gorton district. She daydreamed about the two of them being billed as featured dancers there one day, and we know that they attended at least one of the many “Carnival Nights” hosted by the venue’s resident DJ at the time, Jimmy Savile. Myra Hindley was a Gorton girl, living at her grandmother’s house on Bannock Street. Savile’s big red ****-off Rolls Royce was a local landmark, regularly parked on ostentatious display right outside the entrance.

Flash-forward fifteen years. Janie Jones, the tabloids’ favourite sex-party hostess with the mostest, answers a summons to appear before Jimmy Savile soon after her release from prison. His grounds for demanding the encounter? To read her the riot act for having the temerity to campaign for Myra Hindley’s release. Not for the reason why most people would have objected to the idea of freeing Hindley — you know, her having helped kidnap, torture, rape and murder other people’s children and bury them on Saddleworth Moor, all that stuff — but because, as Janie Jones explained, “he said it was disgraceful that I was siding with Hindley against Brady.” Ian Brady was Jimmy Savile’s pal.

Where and when Savile first met Brady, whether at HMP Parkhurst or at Broadmoor Hospital, is unclear. Savile was famously — now infamously — associated with hospitals and care homes, but not with prisons, yet he definitely pitched up at Parkhurst at least once. That may well be where he met Ronnie Kray for the first time as well. And it’s definitely where he first met Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper, before going on to deepen their friendship at Broadmoor.

Not a particularly savoury thought, but how long was Ian Brady associating with Jimmy Savile?

dannyh
    Free Member

Can’t they just sling his ashes in the clinical waste with the rest of the noxious excreta?

He can then be thoroughly forgotten.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Don't speak ill of the dead….. (Ian Brady)’ is closed to new replies.