Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 356 total)
  • Dont call me Babe.
  • mcboo
    Free Member

I love the Guardian, I do. But sometimes it does disappear into delicious self-parody. In Scotland the collective working-class term of endearment used to be Hen, that still the case?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/01/dont-call-me-babe-on-the-bus

What is my crime? Just politely contacting my local bus company to let them know that I don’t like it when their bus drivers use terms such as “love”, “darling” and “babe”. I pointed out that I generally find their drivers friendly and courteous but that when some of them use that language I find it demeaning. I wasn’t angry, I didn’t ask to make a formal complaint, I wasn’t trying to get anyone into trouble, I’m not trying to get anyone fired, I didn’t threaten legal action – I just thought they might like to know how the actions of some of their staff made me feel.

grum
    Free Member

Er….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Why not babes?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Long since been the standard for public employees – are you still living in the 70s?

donsimon
    Free Member

I often use sweetheart, I am often surprised at how often people see it as some kind of insult or attack. Some people are just too sensitive.

iDave
    Free Member

round here they call you ‘shug’. no idea WTF it’s supposed to mean, it’s bloody annoying though.

D0NK

What she wrote sounds fair enough to me

<edit>I don’t like it when strangers call me “mate”, I’m not your mate

(and “excuse me mate” is normally a prelude to either trying it on or requesting me to do something I probably don’t want to do)

jota180
    Free Member

Sounds like she needs to calm down a bit

They always take it positively when you point out that calming down helps 😀

br
    Free Member

I call all women ‘love’ and men ‘mate’, mainly as I have the worlds’ worst memory for names – but with a broad (well Southerners’ think it is) Yorkshire accent it seems all accept it as fine.

And tbh my misses (Southern girl) calls everyone ‘darling’, or her good lady-friends ‘chick’.

binners

OI! TJ! PUT YOUR NICKERS ON! AND MAKE ME A CUP OF TEA!!!

😉

jota180
    Free Member

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s not a term I’d ever use. I leave gender specific terms of endearment for my g/f although I do reserve the use of the word “sweetie” to female pals who’ve done something above and beyond the normal call of duty. Like giving me cake.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eoejedW7a4[/video]

jota180
    Free Member

Sugar tits is a favourite of mine – not really got a favourite for the girls though

D0NK

good shout Rad 🙂

BR if I’ve met someone atleast once mate is OK but not complete strangers.

BTW I don’t go mental about this sort of thing, just irks me a little.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Binners, that’s post du jour for me. Well done. Have a gold star.

RustySpanner

Everyone says ‘love’ round here when speaking to someone of the opposite sex.

I think it’s a very nice term of endearment.

grum
    Free Member

What Donk said, it’s actually pretty difficult to argue with any of what she says, though I notice mcboo hasn’t actually bothered to make an argument so it’s just trolling really.

I used to get called ‘love’ by male bus drivers in Leeds though, which always seemed a bit odd.

TBH love seems ok to me, but sweetheart or darling do seem a bit patronising. Dunno why.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

‘shug’?

Proper West Ox locals use ‘shag’.

Allllroiiyyyte Shaaaaag?

mcboo
    Free Member

Its the epic snobbery implicit in the article, working class folk everywhere talk like this.

Me I’ve taken it to an extreme, where I call the 50yr old SE London geezer sitting opposite me “Suger-Lips” and “Hot-Stuff”. He’s getting used to it after 2yrs but I do get the odd “Shaaaaaaaraaaaaap” in retaliation.

jota180
    Free Member

They tend to call everyone duck around Notts/Lincs sort of area

D0NK

working class folk everywhere talk like this.

Sweeeeping generalisation.

grum
    Free Member

Its the epic snobbery implicit in the article, working class folk everywhere talk like this.

Hmm, shouldn’t the same standards of behaviour apply whatever your social background? Apart from anything else in a customer service role it’s just a bit unprofessional. I’ve worked in call centres before and would never dream of saying love, or even mate.

You are the one bringing class into it, who’s the snob?

Edric64
    Free Member

The one I hate is “my friend” when used by strangers usually shop assistants .As in hello my friend can I help you ?

Edric64
    Free Member

Old Bristolians still call people babber ,as in alright me babber ?

richc
    Free Member

personally I find it degrading when wimmin, call me: pet, love, darling or drive

Who do I write to get these evil patronising women fired?

🙄

IHN

Some people are just looking for stuff to offend them.

When the phrases babe, hen, love, mate, fella, me duck, guvnor, sweetheart, darling etc are used by a cabbie/bus driver/person behind a counter in a shop/whomever, it’s generally an indication that they are not a po-faced, miserable git.

Anyone who finds those terms offensive when used in that manner, generally, is.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mcboo – Member

Oh the irony. You really do have no idea do you. How snobbish does that make you

🙄

Peyote
    Free Member

Isn’t “Shug” short for Sugar?

I quite like being called “Treacle” by the Chip Shop lady! Always used to get “Moi Luvver” when down Bristol way too. I don’t think I’ve ever been offended by it though, it’s nice to be informal.

Also, did anyone else automatically think of “Voice of the Beehive” when reading the thread title? No? Oh, okay…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Or

GrahamS

Yep. People casually using terms of endearment and friendship.
    That’s what’s wrong with the world these days… 🙄

MSP

Last year when visiting Cornwall with my German girlfriend, the bloke behind the counter at a bakers said something along the lines of “hello my lover, what can I get for you then”, to which my girlfriend turned to me in a state of shock and proclaimed she had never met this man before in her life.

I laughed uncontrollably for a very very long time.

mcboo
    Free Member

TJ I’m as common as muck and proud of it. How’s your po-face this morning?

IHN

to which my girlfriend turned to me in a state of shock and proclaimed she had never met this man before in her life.

The lady doth protest too much 😉

grum
    Free Member

Noticeably its all men criticising the woman quoted in the OP. I guess you might feel differently if there was a cultural legacy of men being belittled and discriminated against (and still got paid less for doing the same jobs).

wwaswas

Problem with ‘Babe’ is it’s hardly without sexual connotations, is it?

Unless the drivers call every female passenger babe then there’s a possible element of judgment being shown prior to using it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Two things Mcboo – you show your snobbery with the sterotypical reference to “the working class” and you don’t understand the difference between “Hen” which has no sexual connotations and is not degrading and “babe” which is.

I suspect yo really do live in the 70s

Bagstard
    Free Member

So what do you say if you bump into someone? Oops, sorry sir?! apologies my good man?

grum
    Free Member

TJ I’m as common as muck and proud of it. How’s your po-face this morning?

Didn’t we go through this in another thread? Where you were claiming to be a ‘salt of the earth’ ‘common as muck’ type but to turned out you had a totally normal middle class upbringing?

timc
    Free Member

pathetic

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 356 total)

The topic ‘Dont call me Babe.’ is closed to new replies.