Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • Don't agree with daughter being christened
  • Duke
    Free Member

Well you started it..

gonefishin
    Free Member

Just waiting for the argument of the evolution of eye…

What you’re waiting on some creationists to say that the piss poor “design” of the human eye must be the work of some deity?

Cougar

Really? You really aren’t aware that’s what people do? IME, that’s exactly what loads of people do.

I’m aware that’s what people do. Point is, Catholicism is a very specific wing of Christianity, with very specific beliefs and practices. If you’re a Catholic but then start picking and choosing bits, you’re no longer a Catholic, you’re a Christian.

I’m vegetarian. By that logic I could say I’m vegan, I just don’t believe in the ‘no dairy’ clause.

I appreciate that on the face of it I’m just being pedantic. However, I don’t think I am – you had a situation in Northern Ireland not all that long ago where people factioned off into “Catholic” and “largely Catholic but in a slightly different way” and look what happened there. Perhaps if all the Protestants just called themselves Catholic like the good lady in question seems to be perfectly comfortable with doing, there wouldn’t have been all that fuss.

Why wouldn’t it be a problem? If you called me silly

I’ve already clarified this once already, but I wasn’t calling anyone silly. Read back. Believing “your bike is better than your car” may well be a wholly rational statement, it’s a straw man.

If you don’t think it’s possible to learn anything from people because they claim to be religious, then you are missing out on some interesting stuff.

I never said that, you’ve made it up. Please don’t do that.

For the last point, of course there are no atheist suicide bombers. My point is that there are almost no fundamentalist suicide bombers either.

You know, I wasn’t being entirely serious here. (-:

@cougar, the aggressive agnostic comment.

Ah. Ok. Uh. Well, yeah, it’s quite easy to be an obnoxious atheist (or a non-obnoxious atheist, or an obnoxious anything else). I’m not quite sure what you’re getting at.

Just waiting for the argument of the evolution of eye…

There’s a Creationist website somewhere that I can’t immediately lay my hand on, which gives advice for people wanting to ‘spread the word’ about Creationism. It has a list of “arguments we don’t use any more” because even the Creationsts themselves acknowledge that it’s nonsense. I’m pretty sure this one is on the list.

Well you started it..

Yes you did, you invaded Poland.

Cougar

Here’s the web page I was thinking of.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/get-answers/topic/arguments-we-dont-use

I wasn’t quite on the money, however they do discuss the topic.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2010/09/14/darwin-and-the-eye

RichPenny
    Free Member

If you’re a grown adult and believed in Santa Claus, how would you expect to be treated? You probably wouldn’t expect to be abused by other grown adults, but you really shouldn’t be all that surprised when people go “Santa Claus? Really? Isn’t that a bit silly?”

I think that’s how I feel about the religious.

I’ve put the bit in bold that makes me think you’d call religious people silly. Am I wrong Cougar? You can claim that you’re only insulting their beliefs if you want, but I think most wouldn’t make that distinction.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ah veggie that explains it.
    I consider you to be part of the broad church of vegans, the fact you cannot adhere to our central tenant is but a minor blip 😉
    [tenous link]i need little excuse for this so here it is again[tenous link]

I am a vegan btw but this made me chuckle

Cougar

I’ve put the bit in bold that makes me think you’d call religious people silly. Am I wrong Cougar? You can claim that you’re only insulting their beliefs if you want, but I think most wouldn’t make that distinction.

I wonder who’d best know what I mean, me or you?

But I’ve explained myself multiple times and you’re still labouring on a “fact” you’ve made up. Hey, you’d make a good theist.

Cougar

I am a vegan btw but this made me chuckle

Yeah, I’ve seen that before, it’s quality.

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Don't agree with daughter being christened’ is closed to new replies.