Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • *dons flameproof suit* What supermarket available pre-ground espresso?
  • prawny

A tassimo for me, don’t drink enough espresso for it to be worth buying bags of coffee.

Still going after 4+ years too so happy days,

phil40
    Free Member

I used to think nescafe gold was posh proper coffee! I don’t have much taste 😀

RichPenny
    Free Member

You can get Union Roasted coffee in Waitrose, the beans i had were recently roasted and reasonably good. They also do preground. Your krups will do espresso grind but you may need to mod it to go fine enough, see Google.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I recently signed up to pact coffee, got a 5 quid intro discount. Massively underwhelmed, Aldi beans taste better.

kayla1
    Free Member

Lidl’s Guatemalan (#4, purple topped bag) is very good.

ahwiles
    Free Member

we have a healthy, loud, enthusiastic population of italians at work, the (bean to cup) coffee machine is under their expert care.

After years of using Lavazza red, i asked if we could try different coffee… after a few moments of bafflement, Guatano suggested tentatively ‘Lavazza blue?’

so, there you have it, according to the italians, it’s either Lavazza Rossi, or Lavazza Crema e Gusto.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The stuff from Booths isn’t bad… currently putting beans through a Jura, but that is being upgraded (or maybe downgraded since I am going for a cheaper brand, but up to date rather than 8 years old) imminently… well… as soon as the delivery man gets it to me!

I like Lavazza of all varieties too. And Illy. And pretty much everything. My only burning question is… why don’t Taylors sell Hot Java Lava beans 😉

ElShalimo

Booths do very good coffee for a supermarket

maccruiskeen

I used to think nescafe gold was posh proper coffee! I don’t have much taste

You probably enjoy coffee more than anyone else on this tread 🙂

neilthewheel

Whatever we do with Taylor’s it comes out tasting like over-stewed tea.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Modern standard or the new Taylor’s stuff in the different bronze coloured packaging single varietals (not the rich Italian etc)
    Just about all the rest are burnt/ashy tasting

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I keep meaning to put an order in to Redbank Coffee in Coniston – if any of you non-locals are visiting the trails hunt out some of the coffee shops that sell their stuff (the wee kiosk in Grasmere Village springs to mind, and I think More in Staveley too)- properly good stuff!

Alas I can’t pop in and get some, just keep meaning to get them to drop off a delivery when passing! I may treat the new machine to some next week….

PiknMix
    Free Member

This is my current go to Oxfam machu picchu coffee

edhornby

another vote for Lavazza red – had taylors last time, wasn’t that impressed tbh

the aldi ones are ok, I think they do an ethiopian that is the best of them

stovetop is great, way less arsing about than a full coffee maker

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

The thing which the makes the most difference for ground coffee IMO is the actual coarseness of the grind. I have bought some premium ground coffees and they have been okay, but i find that the grind is normally to coarse and do not work well in my stove pot.

Lavazza black, sainsburys espresso, and the waitrose own brand in a tin work best for me. Illy works ok as well, but for the price i get an eual cup of coffee from the sainsburys own brand.

I have a coffee grinder and occasionally think that i should freshly grind my beans, but to be honest, it’s not worth the faff for me.

anagallis_arvensis

I use Lavazza red also

And me in my stove top pot. But I keep it in an Illy container to keep up with the Jones

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Kellies heros – Member
    The thing which the makes the most difference for ground coffee IMO is the actual coarseness of the grind.

This is a big part of it, buying roast and ground you’ll get a cafetiere ground for most things, including some “espresso” blends. Good espresso needs finer ground and will only come ground that way in “espresso” coffees as far as r&g goes, obviously beans you do your own so not relevant.

For actual espresso, illy is good according to folks in the know (not me) but they look for acidity and citrus flavors and i prefer tobacco and burnt rubber in mine. Equally i know a chap who drinks camp by choice and enjoys that so who am i to judge?

It’s like beer, can’t stand this hipster IPA stuff and i drink best or mild by choice but plenty folks are the other way around, asking for advice isn’t going to help too much other than by chance.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘*dons flameproof suit* What supermarket available pre-ground espresso?’ is closed to new replies.