Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Donnie Darko
  • GrahamS

Huh?

Just watched it on BBC2. Think I followed most of it, though a joint would definitely have helped. But the ending was kinda odd. Montage of all the characters, some of whom seemed to somehow know about what happened to them in the parallel universe.

Anyone care to explain?

ton

tis very good, but i am a bit of a thicky, so no.
    and i had to watch 12 monkeys back to back too.

Drac

Massively overrated film.

GW
    Free Member

bobby ewing in the shower init?

DomC
    Free Member

Yep. It’s a load of teen-mystic, Dawson’s Creek-at-a-slumber-party arse gravy. As far as I can tell there isn’t very much TO get. It’s intensionally incomplete to confuse and befuddle young minds. ‘Ooooh, Jake Gyllenhaal’s soooooo cute, but, like he’s mental or something and he travels through time, but he died at the beginning, and there’s a guy in a rabbit costume but he doesn’t really exist and…..’

AmyYoung
    Free Member

Watch the directors cut – it explains it a bit more.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i think they maybe remaking it or making a follow up………

thought it was excellent but i dont really think there is anything to get its all implied, however others would argue!

TN
    Free Member

We watched S.Darko the other day which is a ‘7 year later’ sequel to DD. It was just as confusing and was most definitely NOT helped by alcohol. That said, I am not sure I’ll bother re-watching it to try to understand it…

mudshark
    Free Member

There is some help on Wikipedia for those who are interested:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnie_darko

Mackem

Th directors cut has extracts from the book that Sparrow (or whatever the old woman is called) wrote, it said that some people would experience what happened in the parallel universe thru dreams. Or something like that, I like the film.

GrahamS

Thanks. I read the IMDB synopsis and it does sound like the Director’s Cut is a bit more coherent.

Quite enjoyed the film to be honest, though it was a bit of emo-fest!

aw
    Free Member

One of my top ten films…I saw it last night and it was excellent.

That rabbit costume fills me with dread so spooky

AmyYoung
    Free Member

Why is there such a thing as the ‘Director’s cut’? Shouldn’t there be the director’s cut and nothing else?

DavidB
    Free Member

Great film ..but a marmite one

skidartist
    Free Member

Shouldn’t there be the director’s cut and nothing else?

what you normally get is the accountant’s/distributor’s/test-audience’s cut. The people who fund and sell films are very risk averse.

I think its a great wee film. Made for chuff all money and in chuff all time. I’m not really bothered about where its going its just nice being along for the ride.

HackneyRider
    Free Member

Jesus, just read the director’s interpreatation on wikipedia it’s aint hard to follow as films go…

if you like films with paradoxes try Primer

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I like it. Just sit back and enjoy.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s ok. Not tricky to understand IMO. It’s not hugely clever though, perhaps you’re trying to think of it in that way. I find there’s quite a few films that I think might have been extremely clever but then realise it’s just a half rated director trying to convince you so, and they’re not.

There will be a huge following of people who tell you you don’t get it but in reality it’s because there’s nothing particular to get.

See also….
    Pulp fiction
    Memento (although this is actually quite a good film)
    Fight Club

mamadirt
    Free Member

Watched S.Darko last night . . . not bad . . . hey, I stayed awake all the way through. But not as good as Donnie Darko imho.

GrahamS

Jesus, just read the director’s interpreatation on wikipedia it’s aint hard to follow

Well yeah, the “director’s interpretation” is full of concepts that are never mentioned in the film at all: the Living Receiver, the Fourth Dimensional Construct, the Manipulated Dead and the Manipulated Living.

I suspect that makes sense if you read the Philosophy of Time Travel book or possibly if you watch the Director’s Cut.

It’s ok. Not tricky to understand IMO. It’s not hugely clever though,

Yeah it’s not a difficult film. The plot is pretty straightforward.

My “Huh?” was really just at the end where some of the characters appeared to be aware of the events in the Tangent Universe and some were not.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I thought the rabbit did it in the cellar with an aeroplane?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Donnie Darko’ is closed to new replies.