Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Done a million times but..650b tyre. Bont or Spec?
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

Narrowed my choice of new trail tyres for biking in the Dales and occasional trail centre down to a pair of XR4’s OR Specialized Butcher and Purgatory… Help me choose?

qwerty
    Free Member

I think that with a tubeless set up you need to consider the sidewall strength as well as the tread pattern/compound. I like the Specialized Grid casing, I have the Butcher / Purgatory combo, fine at the moment but not sure how well they’ll clear clag. I’m hoping the Hillbilly gets released in a 650b Grid, but with the Enduros coming with a 2.6″ it’s looking doubtful.
    Dunno owt bout XR4s (Sierra?).

whitestone
    Free Member

Currently ride XR2/XR1 (front/rear) in the Dales but that’s for mixed road/trail long distance stuff. I’ve used XR4/XR3 for more trail oriented riding and which will go on for winter riding. Both combos are tubeless.

qwerty
    Free Member

Maybe one of each then?! 😉

kimbers

Chunky monkey/ smorg 13quid each in the on one sale….

scotroutes

I gave XR4s a try and would heartily recommend them.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Ok convince me to get/not get the Chunky Monkey/Smorgasbord set up….

thorpey0
    Free Member

Chunky Monkey out of stock… So back to XR4 or Butch/Perg me thinks.

Any good prices out there on either set up?

simonside
    Free Member

Thoroughly happy to run XR4s on all my bikes (loam/slick roots/wet sandstone rock
    ..well apart from when I need a tougher sidewall. Then its got to be an SE4 innit 😀

thorpey0
    Free Member

Ok, gonna go for the XR4 – I have seen the XR4 ‘Expert’ at a very good price, any one know the difference between the expert and team issue, is it compound?

Do the 2.35’s run big?

whitestone
    Free Member

Bontrager sizing is pretty spot on – within a mm or so (should be 59.69mm, came up at 59mm at 25psi).

Not sure about the difference between “Expert” and “Team Issue”, I’ve always had the latter.

jaylittle
    Free Member

I’ve got the butcher/purg combo both with grid casing. We’re spot on for this year’s ard rock, not sure how the purg will deal with sloppier conditions though.

alextemper
    Free Member

Always go with the Team Issue. Better compound and the side wall construction is superior.

jamj1974

XR4’s are next on my list to try, so go for them and report back!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Done a million times but..650b tyre. Bont or Spec?’ is closed to new replies.