Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Domestic violence – guilty of GBH but only given a suspended jail term
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

This was a domestic abuse case, where the attack resulted in the victim needing 19 stitches to their genitalia! The plaintif did plead guilty but I’m a little surprised by the leniency of the sentence. Just out of curiosity – based on this limited information, does anyone else think it’s far too lenient a sentence?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Missus try to rip your junk off? 😉

scunny
    Free Member

Anything else running along side the suspended sentence? Supervision? Unpaid Work?

Highly unlikely that they’d recieve a suspended sentence with nothing else unless there were other factors involved, or a first time offender.

sounds like GBH without intent, which carries a maximum of 5yrs at the Judges discretion. But, i’d struggle to believe that there isn’t something else going on.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Googling gbh suspended sentence suggests that it’s not an unusual occurrence.
    I guess it depends a lot on the context of the incident.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Anything else running along side the suspended sentence? Supervision? Unpaid Work?

Highly unlikely that they’d recieve a suspended sentence with nothing else unless there were other factors involved, or a first time offender.
    150hrs unpaid if the OP means the same case as the one I just read about.

philconsequence
    Free Member

anyone care to post a link or something? was it a female attacking a male or the other way around?

defydude
    Free Member

philconsequence
    Free Member

at what point during a drunken argument with somebody who’s already been done for GBH do you get your nutsack out? 8O!

defydude
    Free Member
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

anyone care to post a link or something? was it a female attacking a male or the other way around?

I think the OP deliberately avoided saying that the perpetrator was a female…

hels
    Free Member

I think the scariest thing there is “45 year old DJ”

gonefishin
    Free Member

I think the OP deliberately avoided saying that the perpetrator was a female…

Personally I think the lack of a pronoun made his intentions very clear. The real question should probably be is this sentence in line with other GBH, convictions, are there any mitigating circumstances that should should be considered. Looking at a single sentence in isolation and asking whether or not it is lenient is pointless.

kevin1911

The thing that always grates with me when I read summaries of court judgements is that they always seem to view being drunk as somehow being a mitigating circumstance. Like “So you violently bit this man on his testicles to his severe injury, and if you had bit 2 inches to the left or right you’d possibly have ruptured one of his main arteries and perhaps have killed him, but I see you’d been drinking so we’ll let you off”. It’s the same with other cases, violent assaults and the like where it seems to be the drink that’s found guilty and not the person themselves. When is the judicial system going to start holding people accountable for the amount of booze they consume and the consequences to society?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

at what point during a drunken argument with somebody who’s already been done for GBH do you get your nutsack out?

When she asks you to?

druidh
    Free Member

kevin1911 – Member
    The thing that always grates with me when I read summaries of court judgements is that they always seem to view being drunk as somehow being a mitigating circumstance. Like “So you violently bit this man on his testicles to his severe injury, and if you had bit 2 inches to the left or right you’d possibly have ruptured one of his main arteries and perhaps have killed him, but I see you’d been drinking so we’ll let you off”. It’s the same with other cases, violent assaults and the like where it seems to be the drink that’s found guilty and not the person themselves. When is the judicial system going to start holding people accountable for the amount of booze they consume and the consequences to society?

Try the “I was drunk” excuse for rape and see how far that gets you.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

My ex sister in law used to lash out every time she was drunk to her husband he would end up restraining her as she’d chuck stuff and claw and scratch at his face and try to bite him this went on for 8 years and once he hit her back as he just flipped and as he’d been a bit of a bad lad (footie fighting with other blokes) it was seen he’d got previous in GBH and he was charged.

I’ve also seen the other side with a friend petrified to leave the house in anything more than mascara on her face or she’d ‘get a slap’.

Both genders should be treated the same I think I guess its all relative to the extent of the injury in the courts eyes is it???

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I personally cant stand getting drunk never see the point and if people get angry when there drunk they should be permanently banned from being aloud to drink when i was in the forces i used to watch good people turning into F**king monsters who i didn’t want to be around, the problem is people think on a whole its exceptable to get into these states if the government made drinking into a dirty habit say like smoking that (you know they wont they love the tax money) so that if you get into a state its seen as a taboo and unsightly maybe crap like this would happen less.

I under stand many like a good drink but how hard is it really to go out and have a good time and not get wasted and go home safe thinking one word moderation not hard but some people just don’t get it

Ps im not some left wing nut just seen the really bad side to drink and what it does

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Well, he was probably asking for it wasn’t he?

Probably secretly liked it, If he’d been that afraid of her, he would have left her years ago.

😐

philconsequence
    Free Member

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Domestic violence – guilty of GBH but only given a suspended jail term’ is closed to new replies.