Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Domains
  • jcromton
    Free Member

Hi again,

So it seems my 55 idea was a bad one, so what do you reckon of the Rockshox Domain? Seems awfully weighty and I don’t know how to feel about coils. I want to freeride and do XC epics with them. Is it a goer?

Cheers again

C

rolfharris
    Free Member

Chris, they’re awful.

Get some Wotans!

CountZero

I wouldn’t say they’re awful, I’v just replaced a pair with 160mm Nixons after a couple of years use. They would certainly suit the heavier rider, and they ain’t light by any means! They are very strong, dead simple and very reliable, I’m just not a heavy rider and wanted a lighter long fork. The reason I bought them was I needed a fork for a new frame that would take up to a 7″ fork, and they were cheap! £300 against £6-700 for Lyrics or Fox. No contest. I had to put a soft yellow spring in mine to get any travel, but I’m 180lb, and the standard spring was much to strong for me. If you want something to thrash the nuts off that’s cheap, I don’t think you’ll go too far wrong. Dirt magazine thought they were OK.

akira

I quite like mine, wasn’t fussed about weight and they work pretty well, same lowers as Lyriks but in use seem really solid and reliable.
    If you want light then Wotans wouldn’t really be the best option.

MtbCol
    Free Member

Got them on my Faith, bought them as I was building to a budget and for the price they’re a fantastic fork. On a beefy bike like mine, where weight isn’t as much as an issue(it’s not as if I’m haring up hills on it now) I find they do the job required of them rather well.

will
    Free Member

I have to say i really really like mine. Had them 1 year and 3 months now. No issues what so ever! Very reliable and super smooth, very strong and i find with the U-turn easily sutiable for all day epics, well taht is what i use mine for.

I’m very light (11 stone) and coil was fine, wasn’t sure about coil initially, but there brilliant, no messing, good quality forks.

fliptophead
    Free Member

Rode a set on a SC Nomad in Bootleg Canyon last week. It was a hire bike, which I think tells you how reliable they are; yes the bike was heavy, but they worked fine. I really missed the travel adjust on the Talas 36s on my Orange 5, but they took took the rocks and bumps as well as my ineptitude required.

Cheap Light Strong etc etc…

irish_chris

i’ve got a set on my patriot. bought as a quick cheap option to get me downhill ready, and i love them. they are too bloody heavy for xc, too heavy really for any long rides, but superb if you do uplift or mainly push up hill. for a cheap, simple fork the suspension action is great.
    Chris

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

not for the ns bike chris,

as good as that orange would look, they weigh a ton. and generally aint the best.
    Air pikes imo, magura have too many reliability issues.

what was up with the 55’s?

will
    Free Member

2009 Rock Shox Lyricks Air U-turn weight = 2566g (5.66 lbs)
    2009 Rock Shox Domains U-turn weight = 2920 g (6.44 lbs)

Is that worth the extra money? I’m not sure. I have ridden both Lyricks and Domains, bought a set of Domains as i really couldn’t see why i should spend the extra…

jcromton
    Free Member

Some interesting comments here. Luke, I’ll have a look at Wotans…

I’m on a budget Oli and I want a 120-160mm fork with a 20mm bolt-through! These are my criterium and I thought the Domain fitted neatly. Can they really be that heavy?!

jcromton
    Free Member

That’s cool Will and I agree. I don’t think the extra weight would be that bad, and definitely not worth bunsing out for. Surely it’d make me faster on my Scale too, no Oli?! Besides, apparently I’m used to heavy forks.. :p

will
    Free Member

As i said, i have been riding with mine for 1 year and a bit. Not DH, taken on all day epics around the peaks, trail centres, Scotland, Wales, even taken it around Sherwood Pines a few times 😆

Although yes, they are heavy forks, tbh more weight = more effort, so you’ll get fitter, well that is the way i look at it.

Put it like this, the weight has never bothered me, and i’m a light weight person.

jcromton
    Free Member

Amazing Will, you’re swaying me. I’m 11st too, which one’s do you use? The 302s or 318s? I just don’t think I’ll find anything as reliable so cheap and for what I want. Just worked out the weight of my current forks: All Mountain sls and they’re 4.4lbs! The extra 2 pounds may be noticed somewhat. I’ll just lose it in other places…

will
    Free Member

Ummm…I’m not sure what models i have lol, as they came on the bike (was going to upgrade you see) sure there the 302s so a couple of pounds heavier than 318s i think.

They are supurb, there was a set on STW a couple of weeks ago for £150 😆

LINK

MrNutt
    Free Member

can you not get the 55’s sorted?

jcromton
    Free Member

the 55s have been slated to the max on here, in reviews, on CRC. The reliability just seems gash unfortunately. Apparently you can send them back to be fixed, but that’s just needless hastle. I was all up for gambling, but have been strongly advised against it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Domains’ is closed to new replies.