Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Domain registration and email
  • ads-b
    Free Member

Looking at setting up a mynewbusiness.co.uk domain and getting an email set up. Tried googling, but it just comes up with a load of sites trying to sell me stuff. What’s the best way of doing it? Is there somewhere online with impartial advice?

deadkenny
    Free Member

^ not impartial either. Google are also trying to sell you a product. It’s an option though, but you may want to weigh the pros and cons of tying your domain to Google and email to GMail.

A lot of domain registrars will offer domain plus email, for a monthly fee.

There are options like Google’s G-Suite stuff as above. Similar is Outlook Premium, which is currently being offered as a free trial for a year. You can use one of their domains or bring your own (have to buy one somewhere but a domain itself is cheap). Limits though, like up to 5 email addresses, despite you owning the whole domain. Office 365 for business has full options like Exchange online and can do a lot more with the domain. Monthly fee and various tiers, though a good deal if you get the full 365 product including all the Office software and get email with it.

Some ISPs will let you use a domain with their email, possibly for a fee.

If this is for your business, and it’s a small business, take a look at Microsoft Action Pack. Costs £300 a year but you get all the latest operating systems, servers, Office suite, developer tools if you’re into software development, and a 365 Enterprise subscription for 5 seats including full Office online or local installed plus Exchange online email and can use one or more domains with it.

ads-b
    Free Member

Ta. That’s the only place I’ve looked at so far. Charges £3.30 a month for email. If you register the domain (say on godaddy for 99p a year), can you get free email from anywhere?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Plenty of free email options, but using your own domain with it usually costs. Though some registrars will do email forwarding to an address you specify. It’s not quite the same but may be a way to get started. You’d have to fiddle with the mail software to make it appear your email is coming from your domain when it’s really the free account, and that might cause spam software to flag it as spam.

Ps I get my domains from 123reg. They do email forwarding plus offer email packages if you want,

Also be careful with some domain registrars. Some take ownership or administrative control of the domain which may make it difficult to transfer out without paying a ransom fee.

ads-b
    Free Member

It’s not really a full blown business. Just some pocket money. £300 will be more than I will get in a month.

Could I register a domain for 99p on somewhere like godaddy, I could get free email from zoho. Would that be ok?

Drac

Reg123 for registration then look for seperate hosting site. I use TSO Host.

Cougar

What DK said. I use 123-reg also.

I wouldn’t go anywhere near GoDaddy personally.

Sandwich

We use 123-reg for the domain and a single seat Microsoft small business sub for one person is £6.30 plus VAT a month. The MS help info is good and will allow a quick set up of mail with your domain.

Greybeard
    Free Member

You’d have to fiddle with the mail software to make it appear your email is coming from your domain when it’s really the free account, and that might cause spam software to flag it as spam.

This. An increasing number of organisations and some mail services are now using tools like SPF and Domain Keys to cut down spam – they compare the ‘from’ domain with the mail servers that are registered for that domain and can block if they don’t match. It’s relatively easy to set up email with any ‘from’ address (eg, Thunderbird does has this) but requires a bit more tech knowledge and more extensive features from the domain host if you want to avoid some of your mail not arriving.

If your customers will not be put off by it, it would be simpler to get a free email address with the domain in it, such as mybusiness@gmail.com

DaveP

I use 1and1 and forward email, so I just use my ISPs email with reply set to my domain.
    Gmail sends my emails with “on behalf of”.

So I just pay the few pounds per year for the domain and no extra email costs.

If I used (say) outlook application and not gmail then it the receiver would only know about my public domain name.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Been with 123reg for a few family/personal domains for years.

They have al sorts of options. I just use email forwarding which is free.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Domain registration and email’ is closed to new replies.