Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Domain name availability notification…
  • the-muffin-man

There is a domain name I’ve wanted for a while and it appears the company that used it has gone into administration.

Is there anyway I can get notified when the domain becomes available, or do I just have to keep checking?

According to Nominet it expired 16th Oct this year.

Ta

jambalaya
    Free Member

So just apply to buy it ?

poly
    Free Member

If it is not publicly available and you really want it, track down the administrator and offer him money for it..

He may not be willing to sell it on its own, but if it’s not a core part of the business, he might or he might if he can’t find a buyer for the whole lot.

CraigW
    Free Member

You should be able to register a .uk domain name 90 days after it expired.

Some companies will let you backorder it, so you can buy it as soon as it becomes available. eg 123-reg. https://www.123-reg.co.uk/domain-names/backorder.shtml

pdw
    Free Member

Worth speaking to the administrators and making an offer.

There is an entire industry of “drop catching” – re-registering expired domains the moment that they come on the market, and using them to host ads, or trying to sell them on. UK domains are sufficiently cheap that for domains that saw any reasonable traffic when they were live, the ad revenue will cover the registration costs.

If you really want the domain, it’s probably worth paying a drop-catcher rather than trying to get it yourself: we’ve got some drop-catching businesses that host with us because we can get them a few milliseconds closer to Nominet’s servers – if the domain is in demand, you won’t get it by trying to do it yourself.

the-muffin-man

Cheers PDW – got any recommendations?

It’s a domain I’d just like, rather than a money-no-object must have.

the-muffin-man

Bump for pdw…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Domain name availability notification…’ is closed to new replies.