• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Doing my first TT at the weekend – eek
  • IHN

As part of a duathlon relay with the little lady, she’s running, I’ll be riding 10 miles around Castle Combe circuit.

Any hints/tips. I’m trying to work out how to warm up whilst she’s running, as I assume the bike will need to be kept in the transition area…

What’s a respectable time for a reasonably flat 10 miles ridden by someone who’s not as fit as he should be? 😕

trickydisco
    Free Member

1.Don’t go off to hard
    2.Don’t go off to hard
    3.Don’t go off to hard

last lap give it everything you got! my last mile in a TT feels like my body is falling apart

Castle combe circtui can be an absolute bugger for a head wind. I did a dualthon a few years back and i was reduced to 11mph into the wind it was that bad

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Aye, pace it.

flange
    Free Member

time wise on a flat course for a TT – anything sub 27 minutes is decent enough if you haven’t done one before. Are you using tri-bars? If so, try and stay on them as much as possible during your stint. Practise cornering on them, its not as easy as it looks

Warm up is quite a personal thing. Some sit on the turbo, some just go for a ride up the road. On a 10 mile TT you do need to be properly warmed up though so do whatever you can.

And don’t go off too hard. My mate (who is pretty handy) says that he goes off at 80% then just winds it up when he feels ready. But make sure you finish completely spent. If you can sprint for the finish, you’ve not gone hard enough!

Good luck!

IHN

Tri-bars – nope, I’ll be on the CX bike with slicks on.

I might nick my old turbo back off my mate, spin on that and get the bike into transition as late as possible.

If I get to spitting distance of 30mins I think I’ll be chuffed.

IHN

So, I know you’ll all have been sleepless with anticipation of how I got on.

28:08.8. 181st out of 261

Splits of 05:29.2, 05:30.0, 05:39.0, 05:44.8 and 05:25.6

Given I’ve barely ridden a bike properly hard in months and had no idea how to pace myself, and the fact that the first step on the scales in months on Saturday morning told me that I’m (un)comfortably on the wrong side of 14st, I’m quite chuffed to be honest.

And of course I’m now asking how fast would I go with a bit more training and a bit less weight…

njee20
    Free Member

Good splits, paced yourself pretty well!

trickydisco
    Free Member

good work si

My 1st TT was a 29.09 on the frome evening 10 (with Chas thurman merman off of STW)

IHN

Cheers chaps.

Good splits, paced yourself pretty well!

I know! I’d like to say it was planned, but it wasn’t; I just tried to keep just on the right side of hurting the whole way through, which left me with a bit for the final half lap. That final spurt left me absolutely buried at the end, so I reckon I got that bit pretty much bang on too.

*trying very hard not to start thinking about training plans and looking for future events…*

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Doing my first TT at the weekend – eek’ is closed to new replies.