Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Doing A to B cycle tours and bike bags for planes
  • ibnchris

So, I have a challenge for you seasoned cycle tourers. I plan to do a tour through Eastern Europe in May. Going to fly into one city, cycle a few hundred miles and then fly back from a different city.

I know taking bikes on planes can be a pain and think I will probably tour with my steel swift (May do some off road touring too to spice things up) rather than carbon road bike to avoid any really nasty surprises the airline staff may have in stall for me.

So how do you get your bike bag from A to B? I did consider getting a CTC big plastic bag and then carrying it with me. Could always double as an emergency bivvy 😉 but not sure all airlines will take it. Wizz Air state it must be ‘nylon’ bag.

Think that finding a bike box in Bulgaria prior to getting flight back might’ve more faff than I can be bothered with…any ideas?

smashit
    Free Member

Two options really…

1. Find a bike shop in the city you intend to depart from and organise to get a cardboard box from them before departing.
    2. Plan one night in a decent hotel before you depart and forward them you bike bag after you arrive and build your bike.

Not sure which is less faff to be honest!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

There are soft bike bags about. I used to sell one that packed up to the size of a shoe box and could be easily carried with you. If you use one of these make sure all delicate parts of your bike are protected inside the bag.

ibnchris

that sounds ideal mostly balanced. Where did you get it from? Know anyone else that sells them now? Why did you stop selling out of interest?

RickyRah
    Free Member

CTC do a plastic bike bag which folds up very small. You obviously need to source other packaging to make it reasonably protective.

FWIW I’m doing a similar thing this summer and going down the cardboard box route.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Doing A to B cycle tours and bike bags for planes’ is closed to new replies.