Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Doh! I'm an idiot! Hose shortening mishap help.
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So it’s official I’m an idiot.

I’ve shortened so many disc hoses before but never on a U-turn fork, well you can guess what happened next!

Now I’m stuck with a brand new front break that is perfect at 100mm of travel right upto 130mm but nothing more.

What is my best option here, how easy is fitting a new hose to a Hope Tech X2 calliper?

Is it worth getting a braided hose whilst I’m at it?

bruneep

Now I’m stuck with a brand new front break

Its brake 🙄

anyhoo its easy peasy to do if you can shorten a hose which you’ve proved you can then you can change a hose. Just cut it to the right length next time.

Get braided for looks if nothing else.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Fitting new caliper-end fittings is as simple as the lever end. Personally, I think the braided hose is an improvement, although moreso on the rear than the front. This guide covers the fettling of fittings on the braided hose; the standard hose is obviously simpler.

GW
    Free Member

cut your bars down – you’re good at cutting! 😆

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ha can’t believe I put break instead of brake. My brain was thinking too fast.

I’m guessing because the brake is brand new I can just use the insert and olive etc again.

Can I just buy the actual hose or should I get a kit? Will be my first time braided so I’m clueless about this.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You’ll need new olives (they deform when you tighten things up- that’s how they seal). If going braced, you need fittings for each end as well.

Oh, and remember: Measure Twice, Cut Once!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

New olives? I thought Hopes could just be used again? It’s a split olive on the X2’s.

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah i thought that too. til i tried to use them they are a right pain. i ended up getting new ones after a days faffing and they worked straight away , i wont be trying to re use old ones again its not worth the bother or the skin

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Hope hose is around £4 a metre on CRC, or check eBay for Hope 5mm (standard) hose. Your local shop might even have some in stock. All of your fittings can be used again, even the olives. The guide I linked above clearly describes how to treat them. Hope braided hose uses the same fittings as their standard hose.

Here’s an eBay auction for braided hose minus fittings. The same seller sometimes does front hoses for around £6.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Thanks Three_Fish think I might stick with standard hose. More to go wrong if I get braided.

Is it then just a case of emptying/bleeding the old hose and filling up the new?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Yes; just swap the fittings to the new hose, fit to caliper/lever and pump fluid through from the MC. It’s really just an extended bleed process. The only word of warning would be to remove the pads before you start undoing fittings. It only takes a little brake fluid to wreck your pads…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cheers Three_Fish I’ll just order some standard hose then. Yep on the pad removal I’ve wrecked some before.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

When I’m putting in the new fluid do I just do it top down as normal? What I mean is do I need to open and shut the bleed nipple or can I just leave it open till the hose is full then flush any excess air out?

bruneep

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhYX1fHmMvA[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzGQpS6fd3E[/video]

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah sorry bruneep I meant because there will be no fluid in to start do I need to shut the bleed valve until fluid starts coming out the calliper end?

jimmy

pahahahahahaaaa I can’t believe you did that

(no one saw me do it with 150mm bombers locked down at 60mm, right?? pwned BY a pair…)

bruneep

open bleed valve and fill chamber with fluid and pump lever until fluid comes out topping up all the time without letting more air in.

coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth checking the i.d. of your current shrouds before buying braided hose, there used to be two types for different type hose, braided compatible had a larger bore(not sure if this is still the case).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Doh! I'm an idiot! Hose shortening mishap help.’ is closed to new replies.