• This topic has 46 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by devs.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • dogs on cycle tracks.WTF
  • richc
    Free Member

depends on how fast he is going, and how far away he is from the dog when its called doesn’t it? Some peoples idea of close control and right on top of something is very different to others. For example TJ has commented in the past that any dog that is within 10M of him is out of control, and invading his personal space 😯

Personally mine knows ‘stop’ which is to stand still and wait. However if someone boots it past in the woods and I’am not quick enough with the command the chase instinct kicks in, he will chase for a short distance (well until I find the whistle to call him back)

grumm
    Free Member

However if someone boots it past in the woods and I’am not quick enough with the command the chase instinct kicks in, he will chase for a short distance

And you consider that to be fine?

richc
    Free Member

well its either than or petition for bikes to be banned, and the illegal trails removed ……

and seriously, do I consider a dog, when buzzed/passed by riders to move to investigate the sudden and interesting event that has just occurred to be fine?!? Well yes, to be honest its an animal with instincts and desires, and not a machine.

It’s not as if he is; jumping; biting; barking; he is just moving closer to them to get a better look; sometimes admittedly however he does cause people to cut short the section to pat him on the head and generally fuss him; which on here might be considered a heinous crime for which he should be flailed alive and sprayed with salt, however most riders seem to quite like fussing him, so let him off lightly with a good boy, and a bit of chuckle.

If you don’t like dogs, ignore them, as generally they ignore boring people so you won’t get hassled by 99.9% of them.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Most dogs are just fine. Much like everything else in this world the majority are cool and there are a few out of control and dangerous. This is mostly down to the owners though.

In my experience I’ve only had one problem and it thankfully wasn’t too bad. I had to shout to the owner to control their dog as it was getting a bit excited around my kids and jumping up on them. Now all you dog owners might think “oh, he/she’s only being playful” but when your 5 years old it’s pretty scary. I suppose it would be like a huge bear trying to play with an adult (sizewise). Anyhow, it was fine, the dog was called back.

And as for dog poop! yeah, it’s pretty unpleasant and lazy/ignorant owners are the culprit.
    But if you think they’re bad you should try walking down a street in India. I’m having to dodge dog poop, cat poop, cow poop, bird poop, donkey poop and human poop! crazy!

grumm
    Free Member

If you don’t like dogs, ignore them, as generally they ignore boring people so you won’t get hassled by 99.9% of them.

I don’t particularly like dogs, and I especially don’t like being chased by them – I’m not sure why that’s so unreasonable.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I got chased by the little lap-dog thing of a little old lady i passed on the canal towpath earlier. Had to turn around & ride back to said little old lady so she could get her dog back! 😆 Nice little fella he was, liked having his tummy tickled.

devs
    Free Member

I’m just about to take poochie out for a ten miler, ten of which he will do alongside my back wheel. If he poos he does it as far away from the path as possible but against a tree or on a molehill or tuft of grass. I’ve never taught any of my dogs to do this but they all do. I think they prefer to do that. If it was ever anywhere someone would stand in it (Spetznaz and flashers excepted) then I would flick it or bag it. When I’m not on my bike and if someone comes past at anything faster than walking pace they get a mouthful or a diversion off the path. It’s all just about being responsible. Walking dogs on dedicated MTB trails isn’t responsible and nor is going hell for leather on shared trails. It’s not really rocket science is it.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘dogs on cycle tracks.WTF’ is closed to new replies.