• This topic has 46 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by devs.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • dogs on cycle tracks.WTF
  • hainman
    Free Member

oot at carron valley today havin a wee blast down the runway when oot from nowhere comes 2 big **** dugs bouncin oot onto the track.how **** thick are some ppl.,only takes one whack and dugs dead and im in bits.MORONS.rant over……..

Zedsdead
    Free Member

*hears the stamped of dog owners feet heading this way and takes cover*

elaineanne
    Free Member

oooh the dogs just wanna have fun too ! maybe in its past life he was a famous MTB’er.. :mrgreen:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I went for a ride at Swinley last weekend and there were loads of dogs out, must have met 30+ on the singletrack,

Dogs are ace

Singletrack is ace

Dogs on singletrack is awesome squared

sheldona
    Free Member

Is your spell check not working?

firestarter
    Free Member

why do jocks feel the need to type in the silly way they speak ?

runs of to hide, lol

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I like mince dog with ketchup.

Seriously love dogs but owners should be responsible if the dog causes a cyclist to crash.

And pay for repairs.

bigyinn
    Free Member

hainman is typing in weegie dialect.
    Never get why people type the way they talk. Surely its easier (and dare I say less pretentious) to type the words how they are spelt rather than phonetically?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Access rights – the “cycle trails” in Scotland have the same access rights as the rest of the place – right to roam. This includes walkers with their dogs – stupid as it may seem. It might not be reasonable for them to be on the trail but its arguable.

So the usual provisions apply – the dogs must be under control. Riders must ride within the limits of what they can see. Dog owners are liable to make good any damage the dog causes if its because the dog is not under proper control

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I’ve seen a bunch of folk up there walking huge big rhodesian ridgeback dogs.
    Those things will ruin your day if you hit one at pace.

Thinking of heading out to CV again tomorrow, actually. Hangover permitting.

yetiguy
    Free Member

I walk my dog on the cycle path every morning, i also use that path a lot as a cyclist.

let me tell you, dogs aint the problem is them there chavs, and old people, no concept of getting out the way !!

project
    Free Member

About 3 years ago, Seacombe prom about 50 foot wide the council put a cycle track down the middle, 6 foot wide, 2 white lines 6 inches wide, to mark it, riding long a roadie passes us at speed, woman doggie turd emptying animal on an extending lead, she, by the railing dog about 15 foot away on its lead, roadie runs over lead, lead caches on crank,dog hurtled off the floor,as old biddie lets go of lead, roadie falls off, pizzas his face and leg.

We ride up, and ask if he is ok, which he isnt, ring for an ambulance, just as old biddie walks up and starts hitting him.

Beware of extending leads, the work of the devil.

jahwomble
    Free Member

I grew up in a house overlooking the prom at Seacombe/Egremont, Dogs and the prom were always a nightmare. You could be all day day watching a procession of s**t for brains dogs and their owners doing all kinds of strange stuff. Dogs getting washed into the sea during bad weather was quite common

rewski
    Free Member

What’s worse than finding dog eggs on your tyres? Finding them as you’re putting your bike on the car rack.
    😥
    I love animals – they’re delicious. Koreans have got it right IMO.

uplink
    Free Member

It’s the cyclists on cycle trails that do my head in

Only the other week on a trip to Glentress, I was running the black route, every time I got to an incline would I come across cyclists pedalling infeasibly small gears trying to get up, getting in the way.
    Some of them weren’t much quicker on the downs either 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

What’s worse than finding dog eggs on your tyres?

Finding it on your camelback mouthpiece

MrNutt
    Free Member

I blame the magazines that incourage this kind of behaviour ;D

hainman
    Free Member

im all for dogs and owners out on cycle tracks but these two halfwits were just sitting just as you come round the downhill corner ready to take the table top so over you go then wham a big **** dog bolts out in front of you.puts the shits right up you may i add,then they walk back up the run with dogs in tow and start f***ing about at another corner,to quote “CHEWIN THE FAT” a couple of fannies…excuse the weegie spelling earlier.on positive note still had some fun but going to have to learn to jump higher and longer next time….

jahwomble
    Free Member

I read the title as “Dogs on cycle racks”

trailertrash

I think dogs and their owners have the same rights, more if you live in England and Wales(?), as cyclists to be on paths and some trails so never really thought much about it, just accepted it. I was however pretty against dogs at trail centres. I thought they would get in the way, possibly dangerously, and poo in trafficked areas, leading to camelback mouthpiece poo syndrome. Yak. I should say at this point that I rather like nice dogs although I don’t have one myself.

However, I was at Glentress with my mate and his dog last weekend and we had a really nice time. It was a real added dimension to the ride and a lot of fun. She was bright enough not to get run over or get in the way at all, she had a ball, was fun to have around, and although I think she might have taken a dump in the grass off the trail at one point which I didn’t like too much that was it problem-wise.

So yeah, sort of on the fence-ish on this one.

However, I rode in the Pentlands on Sunday and got a mouthfull of horsesh*t which was really effin unpleasant. Horses leave a mountain when they go for it.

Given that most dog owerners do worm their dogs the actual health risk (toxicara canis if you wish to google) is pretty small, although it’s smelly and unpleasant of course. I wonder what you can catch from horse sh*t. Anything? Dicky tummy for sure….

Kevevs
    Free Member

were they dugs frim Glasgae? I widnae mess bigman!

SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

Dog should be phased out imo, £5000 licence fee and £5000 litering fee – do owners ever get fined for the filth they leave though?

_tom_
    Free Member
    MrNutt
    Free Member

I wonder how many folk who ride with their trail dog actually stop and bag any trail turn outs? Would you tie it to the bars? Pop it in your camelbak? Or just ignore it and whistle a happy tune of hypocrisy?

zokes
    Free Member

Beware of extending leads, the work of the devil.

I had this on a cycle path in Wales. Thankfully for me, the lead caught the head tube, so didn’t affect my riding. Bloke holding the lead didn’t let go very quickly, which was rather unfortunate for the dog, which discovered a new means of forward motion at great speed…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I hate dogs and dog owners. If you need to resort to having an animal as a friend then you have failed somewhere socially.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I nearly collided with a reindeer coming around a corner on a track near Granton-on-Spey

Father Christmas…what an arse

bullheart
    Free Member

I hate dogs and dog owners. If you need to resort to having an animal as a friend then you have failed somewhere socially.

Deep. Insightful. Clearly you’re a man in the know.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Having a dog as a best mate could hardly be called deep or insightful either. It’s two steps away from having Harvey the Rabbit as an imaginary friend.

bullheart
    Free Member

Having a dog as a best mate could hardly be called deep or insightful either

That wasn’t the point.

If you need to resort to having an animal as a friend sweeping generalisations then you have failed somewhere socially.

There you go. Sorted it for you.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You do realise that you have just alienated the entire forum membership with that last statement dont you?

Lummox

Love dogs, not an owner but hope to be one day. Think it’s great that your doggy friend can share your day out. Think it becomes more of an issue when in high traffic areas.

Last wed one of the guys riding the DH at cwncarn ran a dog over that was playing in the track at a high speed blind corner. 3 riders just missed it and a fourth went over it. No sign of doggy or owner when they went back to check but surely the owner must have thought this is a bad place for pooch to be running free? Hope pooch was ok and it just frightened it a bit.

Brainflex

you know, as a motorist I find it really inconsiderate that people ride their bikes on roads, do they not realise that roads are for cars? Its terrible trying to get all that blood n gunk put of the grill when they get in the way. They should all grow up. Just as bad are those ones that ride in the forests on the walking tracks, energy bar/gel wrappers thrown on the floor, shouldnt they pick em up and put them in a bag?

(tongue firmly in cheek)

rewski
    Free Member

For years I thought dogs could play snooker and smoke tabs, but really all they seem to do is eat babies and lay stinky eggs for my tyres to roll through.

richc
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    So the usual provisions apply – the dogs must be under control. Riders must ride within the limits of what they can see. Dog owners are liable to make good any damage the dog causes if its because the dog is not under proper control

So according to that TJ if someone isn’t riding within their limits, and what they can see its there fault. Regardless of if a dog runs out or not! as if they can’t stop they aren’t in control.

MrNutt – Member

I wonder how many folk who ride with their trail dog actually stop and bag any trail turn outs? Would you tie it to the bars? Pop it in your camelbak? Or just ignore it and whistle a happy tune of hypocrisy?

I wonder how many MTBers bag there human poo, which is much more toxic.

Personally if my dog shits in the woods I leave it, it it shits on a path I follow the FC guidelines of:

‘Flick it off the path’ may be the best option away from intensively used areas, playgrounds etc., through reducing maintenance costs and landfill of a biodegradable product.

Problem with MTBers and dogs, seems to be there are some right tossers who rider MTBs and think that the whole world revolves around them, luckily you rarely meet them actually riding as they are too busy being internet experts

Cougar

Dogs aren’t the problem per sé, more that a number of them seem to be owned by cretins.

Their party trick near me is to have dog and owner either side of the path, wait until I’m just passing, and then call the dog to them so that it shoots across the track right in front of me. Really, what goes though your mind? A light breeze?

I’m sure that the majority of dog owners are sensible and considerate etc etc, but my god there’s some knuckle-draggers with dogs round our way.

richc
    Free Member

Sounds like the owner calling it to heel to ensure it doesn’t chase you. So seem pretty sensible to me.

If you are going to fast to stop however; I think we might have identified the cretin*

I see loads of good cyclist when out with my dog, on the bike and walking, and I have yet to see/experience one person who has a problem with it.

Mind you that might be because he is huge, and I am extremely protective so if someone tries to boot him for simply being a dog; I will do my upmost to ensure that person has a very bad day.

* this is meant tongue-in-cheek btw.

lock
    Free Member

i use my dogs to clear the way of anyone mincing down the trail

tinribz
    Free Member

Dogs! bloody luxury, last time I went up Hamsterly for every dog there were 3 prams, pushchairs, or toddlers. I even circumnavigated a wheel-chair.

And this is on the Red Route.

IdleJon

richc – Member
    Sounds like the owner calling it to heel to ensure it doesn’t chase you. So seem pretty sensible to me.

Not if you are calling the dog across the flow of traffic which is what Cougar is describing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘dogs on cycle tracks.WTF’ is closed to new replies.