Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dogs – neuter or not?
  • scotabroad

Had my wee dug for nearly three years now, getting on for four years old. Hes well mannered, great with kids/ people etc., but is getting increasingly unpredictable with other dogs, fine with bitches, its only specific dogs but still. He is fine when he is with me but the missus and kids walk him as well so I think its time for sans dangly bits. Any thoughts / experiences on here?

Edric64
    Free Member

My dog had his nads off at 18 months .He is 7 now and it didnt make any difference to his behaviour

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s most likely not the answer to your exact issue but I’d still do it with any dog I didn’t want to breed from. There are a lot of other health benefits to it.

pingu66
    Free Member

Lots of health benefits but I would look elsewhere if there is a behaviour issue.

johnny5
    Free Member

Have two springer/cocker cross dogs ( brothers) who are now 3 years old

did not get them neutered initially as some people had asked to breed form them.

however had one done after about 15 months as he had a terrible habit of pi&&ing on everything- dogs, other dog walkers, a little girl, but his favourtie was on the backs of fishermen when walking along the canal where we live. he had also started to bark at any other dog he saw.

It sorted him out almost completely. he no longer barks and rarely cocks his leg.

the other one was very well mannered, but at about 2 years old started to become possessive of our dog walkers van and was trying to dominate when with the dog walker.

Castration stopped all this as well.

so in summary, i think castrated dogs are perhaps more socially acceptable when in contact with lots of other humans/ dogs.

my two have put on any weight or changed their behaviour in any other than a positive way. i was reluctant to do it, but it has definately helped

i would recommend it, as at worst you are no worse off, and it might help

TooTall
    Free Member

Our local vets offers a temp chemical castration for dogs. It is cheap enough and enables you to see whether the behaviour will be changed before you spend a bit for the nads to get removed.

petrieboy

We were advised to get them off the first time he cocked his leg (as a sign of maturity) as leaving it until much later could mean the territorial pi$$ing could become a habit that the chop wouldn’t fix so may not be the solution you expect. That said, plenty reasons to get it done otherwise.
    It was also a stipulation of the rescue center ours came from.

mightymule
    Free Member

Unless you are seriously planning to breed from your dog (or cat, for that matter), you should definitely neuter IMO.

skink2020

My beloved is a dog walker/sitter/etc and in my careful study over a few years i’ve concluded that it makes no difference as to aggression or attitude. The only difference is whenever there’s a bitch in heat around, Dogs with balls(so to speak) are generally a lot less controllable outwith their usual behavior/obedience.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dogs – neuter or not?’ is closed to new replies.