Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • [DOGS] Greyhound rehoming
  • mortuk2k
    Free Member

Hi,
    After some considerable and lengthy consideration we’ve decided to get a dog. Primarily I wanted a companion as I work from home in the wild depths of Norfolk, also for long walks etc.

After some research I ended up visiting a re-homing centre today with my kids to look specifically at Greyhounds/Lurchers and we had a great time with 3 different dogs.
    I’m aware that the praise for these dogs is almost universally positive, but I’m slightly concerned that they maybe too lazy.

The hope was that I could have a dog that could join me on occasion on long distance walks/off road bike rides. Am I asking too much of a Greyhound? Certainly the two Lurchers we’re pretty sprightly, but I’m unsure on the stamina for a days plodding.

Any advice appreciated.

Pembo
    Free Member

Greyhounds are not really suitable for long distance walks, or bike rides. We’ve had ours for 7 years now and he normally does an hour tops.
    They do have the need for speed though and ours regularly takes himself off to the garden and sprints at full speed for about 3-4 minutes before coming back in the house and sleeping for another 4 hours.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I’d echo exactly what Pembo said. Great dogs for company, and great with kids, but not really suitable for long walks. More of a sprint and sleep dog. Mine is now getting old (12 ish), and realy doesn’t want to go for out for more than 1/2 an hour at at a time.

The greyhounds natural home

mortuk2k
    Free Member

Thanks for that, that’s kind of what I suspected. I think I may have to look at more working type breeds. Or maybe even both (rest of the family have heart set on a Greyhound!).

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Well, lots of greyhounds have been kept in kennels, so like to have company, human and canine. Maybe get a greyhound and a friend. They can keep each other company then.

I know I’m biased, but you’ll never regret getting a retired greyhound.

Go on. 🙂

itsup
    Free Member

Took our two lurchers to the North Pennines, 4-6 hrs walking a day…dogs loved it especially when let off to chase the rabbits.

Dunno were you got you’re info from but they’ll walk all day if you take them out, yes they are sprinters but plodding along is no prob for them.

Wouldn’t take them biking though.

PS. Me and the missus have fostered over 30 lurchers out over the last couple of years and we’ve had all manner of x’s, the only one that needed careful exercise was the 3 legged one…’pod dog’.

Look up http://www.lurcher.org.uk/

miketually
    Free Member

A lurcher would be okay – I’ve been on a group ride with someone who had a salouki-x lurcher. Ace dog.

A greyhound is ideal for kids and as a first dog. We’ve had ours for 3 or 4 years now.

mortuk2k
    Free Member

Excellent thanks for the replies. In fact the dog that shot to the top of the favoured list today was a Saluki Lurcher.

We’re going back on Sunday for another walk about, but it’s almost certain we’ll be getting one of these, and I’ll just see how things develop. If later I need another dog more suitable for long runs then I’ll consider an addition.
    The dogs I walked today were stunning, it was almost as if they had known us for years.

anagallis_arvensis

[img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/anagallis_arvensis/frank/P1000951.jpg[/img]
    Our Lurcher is a mix of greyhound and whippet mostly with a dash of collie and bedlington terrier. She’ll walk further than you could in a day! Dont think she’d enjoy going out on a bike ride though but I suppose if it was an hour or so dashing about in the forest it would be fine. Saluki’s are known to be somewhat aloof and not easily trained, so I wouldnt recommend a lurcher with a big splash of saluki for a first dog. Have a read of “Walking Ollie” that bloke was from Norfolk. http://www.lurcher.org/llink/forum/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=29dfd24c88716f39cf431be8c59258cf might be helpful.

RustySpanner

Daughter has just rehomed a 3-4 year old greyhound abandoned by travellers after they were arrested for hare coursing. They denied all knowledge of the dog and he ran off and spent a few days fending for himself before being rescued by the RSPCA.

Lovely dog, obviously had the crap kicked out of him at some stage, but gradually learning to trust people again.

They’ve taken him out on a few rides, but after about an hour he just sits down and refuses to move!
    Heather has actually had to pick him up and carry him a couple of times 😀
    A genuinely great dog, but happiest by the fire and having a proper fuss mafe of him.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Saluki X can be a handfull, certainly not great around sheep as a rule. However, don’t let me put you off. We’ve 2 lurchers, one is deerhound x and the other saluki x both are fantastic dogs … and yes, they’ll walk all day as long as it’s not too hot or raining 😉

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Snoopy is our second lurcher (actually a long dog, 2 x sight hounds)who’s a saluki x. If I was honest he’s not the most active dog in the world. 1 hour is the max he’ll go for. Same for our late whippet/greyhound x. He meet with an early end as we think we ran him to death, but thats another story! Long dogs/greyhounds aren’t very tough and don’t like being cold and wet, but you may be better off with a lurcher, say a sighthound cross collie. Plenty of those around.
    However, greyhounds make ace house pets and are loyal and very loving. Be aware that some/most have issues since they are often abused and or neglected. Have had mixed experiences with greyhound rehoming charities. Often they can give you a limited chose of animals. If you see a dog on say GRWE or Tia webiste, be strong and keep asking for that dog. If you want any other info feel free to contact me via email.

anagallis_arvensis

Whilst some rescue hounds may have had the crap kicked out of them you shouldnt assume they have because ours trembles and whimpers if we argue and if you shout at her she gets even worse and she’s never been hit.

mortuk2k
    Free Member

Saluki X can be a handfull, certainly not great around sheep as a rule

Oddly enough I had a problem with the saluki passing by a field of sheep today, but was relatively easily brought under control. We took out a Greyhound, and 2 Lurchers, think the other was a Border Collie x (which was batshit crazy if I’m honest). The Greyhound was simply the most placid dog I have ever seen in my life and had clearly had enough after an hours walk. The saluki sat somewhere in between. Fantastic temperament but had some real spark about it. They were all gorgeous dogs, I would take them all!

Been informed by other half we’ve abandoned plans for tomorrow to go back to the re-homing centre to get an extra session in, with a view to final walk/decision sunday.

Really appreciate the info, we’re hoovering up any info we can find at the moment.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Some good advice on this thread…greyhounds totally unsuitable for proper long walks or bike related activities. Lurchers more suitable dependant upon what the cross is.

Two random pics of our greyhounds (we have 3)

midlifecrashes

We have a rescued Saluki cross who’s had a bit of a hard time. He’ll happily walk for miles with the occasional sprint. He does like his sleep and comforts though, and he feels the cold pretty badly so needs a coat. He’s very good natured, but if you startle (or stand on) him reacts teeth first, so he’s always muzzled on walks and when the house is busy.

Rebel and Fred

midlifecrashes

Oh, and if the rehoming doesn’t come off and you decide to go for a puppy, a mate of mine has some lovely lurcher x dalmation which are going to make lovely dogs.

(odd cross to have, he took in a lurcher after it had been kicked out of a van at the end of his street, just as his pedigree dalmation bitch was coming on, oops! They’re mostly black, long legged and floppy eared.)

colnagokid

I walk Jim for 45 mins early morning, 30 mins at tea time and 20 before bed. Then he does this for the rest of the day/night

bed time by greyhoundjim, on Flickr

69er
    Free Member

My lurcher is slowing down a bit now (he’s 12). A world champion eater and sleeper, he can do distances walking, certainly farther than I can. In his heyday (age 3 – 10) he was great company on the s/s too.

If you want a biking dog get something bred for a similar purpose, possibly Dalmation. Otherwise I can highly recommend a lurcher as a child friendly, relaxed but energetic dog. I’d have another, definitely 😉 .

Sounds like the lurcher/dalmation cross up there ^^ could be good!

vdubber67
    Free Member

colnagokid – Member
    I walk Jim for 45 mins early morning, 30 mins at tea time and 20 before bed. Then he does this for the rest of the day/night

Love how Jim looks like a giant dog in that pic because of the perspective on the books 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Awwww 🙂

MrGrim

Lurchers are great. My dog Tara is a Bedlington Terrier/Greyhound cross. We regularly have her out for long walks – 4/5 hours and as long as we take a water bottle for her she’s fine and is usually looking for another walk as soon as she gets home. She tires out my mates collie.

I wouldn’t recommend one as a biking dog as mine will chase deer, rabbits, cats, squirrels and anything furry. She is really obedient, but I’ve not been able to train out the prey drive. She locks on and goes for it.

Here she is at the beach in Kinghorn:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow5xX7Ygz1A[/video]

cupra
    Free Member

To answer your question – greyhounds and long walks are not a good mix. We have 2 lurchers one loves long walkw as he has collie in the mix, the other doesn’t so much, so you won’t know 100% until you get the dog and try it. They are fantastic dogs though. The current two are the third and fourth ones we have had, when they go I’ll be gutted but we will get the fifth and sixth!
    I agree with what has been said about salukis but that Walking Ollie book is one of the worst dog books I have ever read.

goon
    Free Member

What everyone else has said about greyhounds is true, probably not the best dogs for long days out. I’d say you are looking for a smaller lurcher, with a good rough coat. Smooth coated lurchers tend to be very thin coated / bald on the under sides and inners of the back legs.

Sighthound feet are generally small in relation to the size / weight of the dog, putting more pressure on them, and hastening fatigue and soreness.

I know a whippet x bedlington who will run all day long, is happy out in all weathers.

Don’t discount collie X dogs. My previous lurcher was a collie x grey and was the most sensible, trustworthy dog I’ve ever met. Utterly bomb-proof around stock, faultless recall, etc.

ransos
    Free Member

My sister has had two salukis. They have a lovely, placid temperment, but are very difficult to train, and will go after sheep. Plus if you ever leave any food out, a saluki will eat it.

goon
    Free Member

Ooh, can I also plug Lurcher Link and Greyhound Gap.

Both have the vast majority of their dogs in foster homes, so have detailed assessments of a dog’s character and can match one to your requirements.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack slightly, but we’d really like to get a dog that fits in with our lifestyle (both Mrs Geordie and I work 4 days a week, she looks after Geordie junior who is 2 years old on Fridays whilst I entertain him on Mondays). So, there’s always someone about for 4 out of 7 days, the remaining days I guess we could arrange for a dogwalker to come in if necessary. In addition we have a 12 year old cat who is more than used to getting her own way.

Anyway, we both really like greyhounds and lurchers because of their good natures, and were wondering about their compatability with how we live our lives and particularly the cat. Much as I have an uneasy relationship with the cat (she seems to think she comes higher up the food chain than I do), I don’t want to see the dog tearing lumps out of her. So, cat-friendly is a must.
    Cheers,

Andy

BeardedDave
    Free Member

mortuk2k, I think I might have known you in a previous life, judging from your user name and the fact that you mention Norfolk!

Can’t recommend greyhounds and lurchers enough. My missus has a lurcher and she has completely converted me. My mum also now has a greyhound on the back of meeting my missus’ lurcher. On my experience, a greyhound crossed with something else would be a better choice if you want a companion for long walks/rides. Pure greyhounds don’t really have the stamina. Excellent dogs that they are though!

It sounds like you’ve got somewhere to adopt from sorted, but if you haven’t, I can’t recommned these people enough, based in Norfolk too: http://www.kerrygreyhounds.co.uk/

goon
    Free Member

It can be done Andy. We both work full time, and have a lurcher (longdog really). Ted will have been out for an hour this morning before work, and will be sleeping off his breakfast. At lunch time I will visit him for 20 mins to let him out for a wee and give him a snack, and before I leave he will be fast asleep again. He will be out for a good hour again this evening as soon as I get home. Then he will sleep off his tea, before being roused for a wee at 22:00 and more sleep. He is no different when we are in all day at the weekend.

Greyhounds can be both cat and child friendly, and the two organisations I linked to will rigorously check for both with their foster dogs.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Thanks goon – much appreciated.

user-removed
    Free Member

Just a thought, but if you do go for a lurcher, get a leggy one – we got Kasper the hairy lurcher from a rescue centre – he looked like he was going to get quite big, quite quickly, but he didn’t! He’s still only the size of a small collie and is good for short bursts of speed, but no good as a bike-hound. He just doesn’t have the stamina.

This was a huge disappointment to me, and I cycle much less because of it. That said, he’ll quite happily walk long distances, all day, every day, even over really rough ground and through deep heather etc.

Here’s my blog post about looking after a retired racing greyhound…

And here’s a pic of Kasper the non-bike hound!

Any excuse…..!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Exilegeorge
    Ref: cats. Our last longdog and our current saluki x both had strong hunt instict as they were working dogs trained as a mass bunny killers. However, it was surprisingly easy to train them not to chase our two cats, despite what the rescue centres said.

paul-thomas
    Free Member

We’ve have Lady the Lurcher for almost 10 years now and can confirm you will be hard pressed to find a better familt pet than one of these. We got her from the SSPCA because she kept chasing sheep on her original home and was about to get shot!

Lady9 by NaneandPaul, on Flickr

Not a good biking dog because of chasing everything that moves but loves a good long walk it the hills.

Lady2 by NaneandPaul, on Flickr

Also at home on the beach

Lady8 by NaneandPaul, on Flickr

But if you take them camping on a cold night be prepared to share a sleeping bag!… they aren’t the hardiest of dogs!

Lady5 by NaneandPaul, on Flickr

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I think if you get the right mix for a lurcher, there should be no problem for long walks. Mine is a, well this is guess work as is rescue, but grey hound, collie, lab mix. What she really loves is chasing tennis balls in the park and in and out of rivers and bogs but she can handle a very long walk. She has done many Munro’s with out any problem and been almost to the top of Ben Nevis, had to turn back because she didn’t like the snow and ice blowing into her eyes, which is understandable!
    Stamina never seems to be really an issue, she will occasionally get bored on a long walk but perks up when the tennis ball comes out!

Biking wise I have never taken her, not really technical enough round here, so speed would be an issue, I would either have to go rather slowly, so don’t see the point or she wouldn’t be able to keep up for any length of time. Plus she would no doubt stop just in front of me or just look really worried all the time! Wish she could ride a bike! She would be soooooo fast with her thunder thighs.

Mine strangely does chase anything (that not round and yellow or another doggy friends!), she’s had a rabbit run across her feet and not batted an eye lid, she is a bit odd though!

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Sparky AKA Fuentez Flash in his racing days. 9 (nearly 10)

Pictured below in his “something is about to get chased pose”

They will walk long ish distances, sparky doesn’t have a problem with 8 mile walks but like humans they need working upto it.

No chance as a riding dog, I doubt I’d get to the end of the drive before he’d have me in the nearest hedge or wall.

paul78
    Free Member

I have a whippet x greyhound and have to echo all the above comments … they are built for speed not endurance.. although a friend has a whippet that from a puppy was a bike dog so is brilliant..

Besides that they are the best dog you could ever hope to own … loving and friendly … a constant source of amusement… I have had Jay for near 2 years now and am currently looking to rehome another lurcher .. If I had my way I would fill the house with whippets, greyhounds and lurchers 🙂

Inbred456
    Free Member

Lurcher’s may be suitable depends on the cross. If it’s more collie than greyhound you may be all right. Greyhounds are sprinters not distance runners. Lurchers do have a habit of trying to remove you from whatever you’re doing at high speed ( ie back of the knee at 30mph, they are a bit bonkers!)

mortuk2k
    Free Member

Rain very nearly spoiled the day, but it brightened up enough to get out with 2 dogs today. Also had a very long chat with the kennel staff.

What has become quite apparent is the difficulty in choosing. I think we’d happily take them all!
    What we’ve decided to do is take on a Greyhound in the first instance as a family pet. With a view to potentially adding a lurcher later (new year). As a family we’ve all been really struck by the beautiful animals we’ve got to know over the last few days, which has meant the requirement for a bike/long walk capable hound is less of a priority as that is only what I want, and not really a need for the rest of the family! And I’m quite happy with that, it really is just the beginning I’m sure.

We’re going back on Sunday to reserve the dog we’ve chosen, and then it’s a home visit from the greyhounds trust.
    Thanks for all the replies, they have helped enormously.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘[DOGS] Greyhound rehoming’ is closed to new replies.