Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dogs Cesar Milan
  • anagallis_arvensis

What are peoples thoughts on him, I seem to meet loads of people when out walking the dog who waffle on about dominance and pack leadeship but they all seem to have really badly behaved dogs. Then I was pointed in the direction of this
    http://www.dogwelfarecampaign.org/press-statement.php

Andy-W
    Free Member

""Aversive training techniques, which have been seen to be used by Cesar Millan, are based on the principle of applying an unpleasant stimulus to inhibit behaviour. This kind of training technique can include the use of prong collars, electric shock collars, restricting dogs? air supply using nooses/leads or pinning them to the ground, which can cause pain and distress. The use of such techniques may compromise the welfare of dogs and may worsen the behavioural problems they aim to address, potentially placing owners at considerable risk""
    ……………………………………………………………….
    When I got my Frankie (Jack Russell Terrorist) I watched a lot of Cesar Millan and never once saw him do any stuff like it says above

anagallis_arvensis

I've hardly ever seen his programmes (Kea doesnt like the barking :lol:) but he almost always pins a dog to the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQUegRGo0kw

and even if he's not using a shock collar this looks pretty cruel to both the cat and dog to me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi3ve9sWslI

tron
    Free Member

He's a tit. Proven by the number of dogs he seems to think are untrainable.

TooTall
    Free Member

Great – some half-baked pish from viewers of TV shows and readers of the internet.

Some of what he does is great, some not so. Most of it is based upon the natural behaviour of dogs. Not people. Dogs. Too many people humanize their dog and therein lies one of the biggest problems.

Reward based training is great and I use it. Sometimes, a dog needs more. Just like kids. Do you smack their hand when they reach for a hot stove top or do you wait and reward them for not doing it again?

tron – he says very few dogs are untrainable. It is usually the owners who have messed them up. Some dogs are untrainable.

anagallis_arvensis

so why is your opinion any better than the half baked views of the RSPCA, Dogs Trust, WSPA amongst others.

What is this natural behaviour of pdogs you talk of? He bases his methods around some shit about how people thought Wolf packs functioned 50 years ago but is no thought entirely wrong.

soobalias
    Free Member

Aversive training techniques, which have been seen to be used by Cesar Millan, are based on the principle of applying an unpleasant stimulus to inhibit behaviour.

This kind of training technique can include the use of prong collars, electric shock collars, restricting dogs? air supply using nooses/leads……

pathetic manipulation of words to achieve a desired effect.

reward is quicker and more effective than aversion, both have their place, either taken to extreme has the potential to backfire.

Sandwich

Anything backed by the RSPCA is suspect in my eyes, search for threads about them on this very forum. Any charity that uses captive bolt guns to try and kill dogs is not preventing cruelty.

anagallis_arvensis

This kind of training technique can include the use of prong collars, electric shock collars, restricting dogs? air supply using nooses/leads……

See youtube's above

anagallis_arvensis

If a captive bolt is good enough for cattle and sheep, and I've seen it done, its good enough for dogs.

TooTall
    Free Member

a_a – what is your experience of dog training?

anagallis_arvensis

Had dogs from as soon as I could walk, trained one up to be a good enough beater/retriever on local shoot when I was in my early teens. Used working collies on the farm. Then wasnt able to have a dog until recently, she seems much better behaved then any of the people's dogs I meet that are alays banging on about cesar milan. All of which is fairly irrelevant anyway as it has no bearing on what he does.

TooTall
    Free Member

If people watch his shows then they will talk about it. If they then don't apply any training you get what you get. I meet dozens of badly behaved dogs and almost always see the trait(s) in the owner(s) that make that dog badly behaved. It is often inconsistency (oh, she is soft with the dog) or the inability to understand that 'no' should not be repeated 30 times if you really mean it.
    Working dogs are a far cry from pets. I'm sure your minimum expectation of dog behaviour is far above most people you have met – hence your post. Stupid dog owners have dogs that are smarter than they are. Their kids are probably as bad.
    a_a – do you have a view on Millan's training methods? Not out of context and worded like that link mind you.

anagallis_arvensis

My opinion is that is programme is very dangerous. A lot of what if says makes sense especially about exercise, my lurcher has currently got a broken nail so cannot run and she has been a relative nightmare compared to normal. However I think his filming of seriously aggressive dogs and application of some of the techniques causes people to try it on their under exercised pet, which is quite wrong. I also think that both the youtube vids posted above are cruel because he is setting up the dog to fail from the start so that he can dominate it. Sometimes a dog may deserve a clout if its trying to stick its head in the fire or something but his dominating and blocking of dogs behaviour is not the way forward imo.

This seems like fairly close to my view
    http://www.gundogmag.com/training/GD_wolf_1109/index.html

Sandwich

Captive bolt is used to stun large animals. SW Police are currently investigating RSPCA for animal cruelty as a result of this case involving 10 alsatians I think it was. Captive bolt is specifically banned for dog use. Newer César programmes follow the leader follower model mentioned in the reference.

anagallis_arvensis

Captive bolt is used to stun large animals.

Indeed, stuns them pretty much to death, used in conjunction with pithing (wiggling a stick in teh hole). Whilst I wouldnt use it to kill a dog, like I said if its good enough for cows and sheep, cant see why it cannot be used on dogs.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

From what i've seen, what he does & the methods he uses aren't much different from the bloke "Mick" on Dog Borstal tv programme. Simple & effective without harming them.

On Cesar's show, he also often sorted out dogs that were on the verge of being put down for being so agressive too.

I'm pretty sure that both those shows has a warning about trying to use the techniques yourself without trained supervision/advice, etc, for all the reasons above & more.

I tried the techniques on my cats, but I just got owned. 🙁

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dogs Cesar Milan’ is closed to new replies.