Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 274 total)
  • Dogs biting
  • billyboy
    Free Member

I have a bruise on my shin at the moment as a result of a leg/pedal interface after a dog chased after me and tried to nip at my ankles and I had to do an emergency stop to avoid running it over. Sadly I think these incidents are on the increase and it becomes on all too regular occurance to be hunted down and attacked by some idiot's pooch.

I find it grossly ignorant and insulting on the part of the owners.

I've yet to see an owner discipline a dog which has had a go at me. Apologies are rare (the ower of that last dog above did actually do so), abuse from the owner quite often follows and on one occasion one of these idiot owners even tried to punch me after I tried to ward off his Jack Russel's attacks by clocking it with my front wheel. The dog had been trying to bite me for about a minute without him doing anything to stop it.

I do not like killing things but I think it would provide me with some personal satisfaction if I were to shoot one of these bloody things whilst it was launching an attack.

Has anyone tried a deliberate policy of running them over when they do attack?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Never been bitten, but have been chased once and on that occasion I used the go faster method 🙂 I don't think I'd be comfortable kicking a dog in the face intentionally, but in the heat of the moment you can see why people might do it to stop the attack – especially if they are afraid of dogs.

For the people recommending stopping and asserting themselves; you know how to behave with dogs, that response just isn't going to happen from someone who's scared. A riding buddy hates dogs (but isn't cruel to them) and ironically has been bitten several times while riding. There is no way on earth you'd get him to stop when there's a dog about.

Edit for matey above, the same bloke has actually run over a dog as well, totally by accident. We do tell him that the bites are some kind of organised retribution 🙂

billyboy
    Free Member

Thinking about it………….

In a different life I was once running after a criminal who had crashed a stolen car into somebody's house. I was with several others and we were all doing our bit to catch this man when a less than bright police dog handler unleashed his dog behind us. I was told later that this dog had a bad/good?? reputation for biting people. The dog came racing into the middle of us eyeing us up and ignoring the criminal sprinting ahead of us. The dog was definately looking to bite someone, but was obviously confused by the number of potential targets to bite. One of my friends had the good sense to yell "Sit" and the dog did so immediately. The humans then succesfully retrieved the criminal.

Maybe yell "SIT" is the order of the day

anagallis_arvensis

I have never been biten by a dog and would think most of you just need to man up and face down the dog rather than posting on internet forums about your prowes at kicking dogs, whilst no doubt sipping on warm milk whilst mummy tells your its all better.

jim_bob

Our kitten bites people. I haven't kicked it yet though.

singletrackmind

Another Collie attack yesterday. Was out on my local loop when these 3 girls with a youngish collie walk across prob 50 meters away. I am not aiming at them , as I am on a parrallel track. Collie drops its haunches, tail drops, body drops and comes straight at me. I unclip . and come to stop, as the collie circles.
    The girls had to come and grab it in the end as it stayed just out of boot range, barking. I told them if it is disobediant and won't come when called it should be on lead.

MrNutt
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Report it to the police. Give as much identification as you can regarding both the dog and the owner. They may well be regulars in the area.

+10

the next time it could be a child.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AA – you are the one being ridiculous – I have been bitten twice by dogs when out cycling so wtf do you know?- get off your bike and face down a biting dog – don't be absurd. If the owner has not controlled and trained the dog then a swift boot might do so. No way on earth am I stopping and taking the risk of being bitten more. Boot the dog and it may learn that biting cyclists hurts.

Note several dog owners on this thread agree with this approach. I am not talking about maiming the dog but making sure it know who is boss and that biting cyclists hurts

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

billyboy – Member

Has anyone tried a deliberate policy of running them over when they do attack?

Might depend on size of dog (or owner), this labrador type dog caused chaos in the TDF a few years ago

Admittedly dog hit bike, rather than bike hitting dog, but there is another incident where bike hits dog, and rider doesn't come out that well either.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3p0dmeecwE&feature=related

Fat knacker labrador compeltley pretzels the front wheel, must have been made out of stone – little fücker gets up unhurt and walks away too!!

anagallis_arvensis

Collie drops its haunches, tail drops, body drops and comes straight at me. I unclip . and come to stop, as the collie circles.

So in other words dog ran towards you and nothing bad happend, who gives a ****, a disobidient dog isnt great but its not a huge drama. From your description the collie genes kicked in and it wanted to round you up as long as your dont start acting like a sheep and try to get away you'll be fine.

I have been bitten twice by dogs when out cycling so wtf do you know?

I know I havent ever been bitten by a dog and that includes separting dogs fighting in the park on a number of occasions recently. Your current actions seem to be driven by fear and dont seem to be working for you too well.

zaskar
    Free Member

If the dog bites can we bite back? or bite the owner?

😈

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AA – bollox – both times the dog attacked without warning. No chance to do anything – no warning no barking or growling – just one moment cycling along the next a dog fastened to my ankle.

I wouldn't kick the dog until it bit

What you dog owners fail to understand is the rest of us have a right to go about are lives unbothered by your dog. Control it or accept the consequences – of which a booted dog is the least. Want to be in court? Want the dog put down? Want to be paying dsamages?

You are responsible for your dog.

singletrackmind

AA = Cock .
    FACT

sherry
    Free Member

TandemJeremy, you quite clearly don't have or like dogs and that's up to you. I do feel your approach is all wrong though. My dog has never bitten anyone but she can get a little exited as dogs do but is under control. I have had people swing kicks at her when she's been out biking with me for no other reason than her going up to them and even try to mow her down because they don't want to slow down. This is completely unacceptable and I make sure I get an apology even if that means chasing them down!

I have been bitten myself very recently of some Jack Russell's and while it is annoying, kicking it would just be over reacting and it is the owners fault anyway. I would only ever kick a dog as a last resort in self defence if I thought the dog could inflict some serous damage.

I have to say kicking a pup is pretty low its hardly going to savage you is it? If people slow down/stop when approaching dogs and owners (which is what your meant to do) it can make a big difference to the dogs behaviour and preventing anything silly happening. If you don't slow/stop then get a nipp you are part to blame and have no right feel aggrieved. If someone actually did kick my dog and it would need to be a very very good reason, if not I would be aiming a kick straight back at the person who did it. Thankfully this has never happened though, maybe being 6'5" has something to do with that? lol

anagallis_arvensis

I'm well aware of that, but the point your apparently tiny mind cannot cope with is that I am not able to be reposnible or control other peoples dogs and so insead of trying to kick any dog that runs up to me uninvited or wave a letter from my solicitor under its nose or scream and swear at the owner, I take steps to prevent it biting me. Waving my foot at it isnt the best way of doing this.

AA = Cock .
    FACT

singletrackmind = internet hardman, gosh I'm trembling in fear.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AA – you are the one being the internet hardman and a complete cock. No one has said the things that you claim they are. Your dog has no rights and I have a right to go about my lawful business without your dog bothering me in any way.

sherry – the pup drew blood before I did anything to it – and I had warned the owner I was riding past. Because it was a pup I merely gave the owner a bollocking – I didn't report it for destruction.

My dog has never bitten anyone but she can get a little exited as dogs do but is under control. I have had people swing kicks at her when she's been out biking with me for no other reason than her going up to them and even try to mow her down because they don't want to slow down.

That is not a dog under control – this is what you fail to see. A dog should not be going up to strangers uninvited. Get your dog under control or on a lead or accept the consequences. If it was under control then people would not be swinging kicks at it.

anagallis_arvensis

No one has said the things that you claim they are.

Any chance of saying that in english?

Your dog has no rights and I have a right to go about my lawful business without your dog bothering me in any way.

Of course you do, but the at the risk of labouring the point that you seem unable to understand, my dog has never and will never bite you so I couldnt care less about your macho bluster. However you do seem to be having a disproportionate number of problems with dogs which is not suprising if you act towards them the way you describe here.

Your dog has no rights

not true, she is my property so if someone damaged her it would be illegal

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You are saying people have made statements that they have not made. is that any clearer?

its not macho bluster – I am trying to get into your head that your attitude is is wrong – morally and legally

You accept I have the right to go about my business unbotherd by a dog – but you also state that people should stop and get off their bike if a dog is around.

The dog should be under control – bottom line. Damaging a diog in self defence is not offence at all – infact tits the other way round – allowing your dog out of control is an offence

TooTall
    Free Member

she can get a little exited as dogs do but is under control. I have had people swing kicks at her when she's been out biking with me for no other reason than her going up to them

If your dog comes up on me, then either you let it or it is out of control. If I haven't invited the dog to me, then it is out of control. I don't know whether your dog is friendly and, frankly, why should I have to? It is your remit to keep it under control.

anagallis_arvensis

You are saying people have made statements that they have not made. is that any clearer?

Yes much clearer, care to give an example though.

You accept I have the right to go about my business unbotherd by a dog – but you also state that people should stop and get off their bike if a dog is around.

care to show where I said that?
    You can do what you like of course, however I expect dogs will carry on biting you.

I have the right to go about my business unbothered by horses also, however if one is around I slow down or stop and show a bit of consideration to other people. You can run about complaining to the the law about dogs bothering you all you like. It wont stop dogs bothering you though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have never been biten by a dog and would think most of you just need to man up and face down the dog rather than posting on internet forums about your prowes at kicking dogs, whilst no doubt sipping on warm milk whilst mummy tells your its all better.

so insead of trying to kick any dog that runs up to me uninvited or wave a letter from my solicitor under its nose or scream and swear at the owner,

Both from you AA. The first to me means giving way to the dog everytime, both contain a load of hysterical twaddle that none of the posters who want you to control dogs have said.

You clearly think that I should slow down or stop everytime I see a dog – on one of my regular routes I will pass 20 or 30 dogs in a couple of miles

I do not insist every dog be on a lead. I warn every dog owner in plenty of time that I am about to pass. I just want the dog under control.

Any dog is dangerously out of control if:
    • it injures a person, or
    • it behaves in a way that makes
    a person worried that it might
    injure them.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/cruelty/documents/ddogslawyouleaflet.pdf

anagallis_arvensis

The first to me means giving way to the dog everytime,

and you said I misquoted you and I talk twaddle, do what you like mate but you'll keep getting into bother. Most people would look for reasons and maybe take some friendly advice, you clearly dont want to, so dont come hopping to me crying next time a dog bites you :lol

You also seem to be trying your best to make out my dog isnt under control, I dont remember anyone on this thread complaining about my dog.

'Dangerously out of control' is defined as being 'on any occasion on which there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will injure any person'

reasonable would seem to be the key term here. Getting in your way as you ride your bike I wouldnt expect is covered.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A – we appear to be rather at cross purposes. I have not said you dog is not under control.

You completely miss the point however. It is not up to me to take avoiding action, to slow down more than I would to pass anyone else or anything else – it is up to teh dog owner to control the dog or face the consequences.

I use a bell, I warn everyone I pass dog owner or not, I give them plenty of space.

being bitten twice in decades of riding is not a lot.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Getting in your way as you ride your bike I wouldnt expect is covered

I don't say anything about getting in my way. However if the dog does get in your way after I have given the owner a warning in plenty of time it clearly is not under control

anagallis_arvensis

no your right you clearly were not referring to my dog

What you dog owners fail to understand is the rest of us have a right to go about are lives unbothered by your dog. Control it or accept the consequences – of which a booted dog is the least. Want to be in court? Want the dog put down? Want to be paying dsamages?

However if the dog does get in your way after I have given the owner a warning in plenty of time it clearly is not under control

I'm no legal expert (thank god) but I dont think the dog is dangerously out of control its just out of control.

You completely miss the point however. It is not up to me to take avoiding action, to slow down more than I would to pass anyone else or anything else – it is up to teh dog owner to control the dog or face the consequences.

My point is the consequences are far more immediate for you ie face gravel interaction. The law will only become involved after you have been injured.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dunno if you are being sarcastic there but that was written in the general case – "you" plural as in the class of people that are dog owners

tyke
    Free Member

I haven't been bitten by a dog but if I am being chased I slow down enough for the dog to catch up and then encourage the dog to run along with me away from its owner. Then when I think am far enough away I speed up and leave the dog behind.
    So far the furthest I have managed to get is about half a mile. It's funny to hear the owner shouting at the top of their voice trying to call their dog back whilst it's quite happy running alongside me wagging its tail.

If enough cyclists did this I'd bet we'd start to see a lot of dog owners start to call their pooches to heel at the sight of a cyclist approaching!

anagallis_arvensis

Brilliant tyke and what about the cyclist following behind?

sherry
    Free Member

TandemJeremy, Yes my dog is under control at all times but if let her of the lead and she wonders up within a few feet to someone and does nothing what's the problem? she does nothing reckless. I call her to heal and give commands and she does it every time, therefore she IS under control. I don't feel the need to constantly have her right at my side at any given moment when off the lead as I can control her. If I see someone visibly uncomfortable around dogs or children are around etc I call her put her on a lead. My dog has NEVER jumped up on anyone or invaded their personal space, the fact you fail to see is dogs like to run and walk around when off the lead which is perfectly normal and legal, and I don't mean on the street.

You sound like your looking for an excuse/opportunity to hit animals? If my dog walks past some idiot who thinks its OK to kick her because she came "to close" then I will be making my point very clear to them. And if you mean face the consequences by hitting an animal that has done nothing to warrant such an attack ie by walking near or past you, you would be the one breaking the law. What is to close by the way, is a few feet OK?

I get the feeling that you would only kick a dog and shout at an owner if they were a woman, old or vulnerable, I can guarantee that you would never do it to me. This may come as a surprise but the world does not rotate around YOU and your self righteous attitude. Other people and animals use this planet as well!

sherry
    Free Member

Animals do have rights by the way. They have the right not to be abused by idiots. That's why they have things called animal rights and welfare? You may not have heard of them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sherry – fair enough then. You initial posts sounded like your dog was not under control.

My dog has never bitten anyone but she can get a little exited as dogs do but is under control. I have had people swing kicks at her when she's been out biking with me for no other reason than her going up to them and even try to mow her down because they don't want to slow down.

As I repeatedly said the dog only gets kicked if it bites or attempts to bite me – and yes I would do it to your dog if it bit or attempted to bite me. I did not say I kick the dog if it gets too close. I do not want your dog anywhere near me and if you let it come up to me it is not being controlled properly and is in breach of the law – that is clear.

Edit – so which is it – you allow it to come cles to people as in your earlier post or it never invade peoples space?
    If it comes too close to me I will call to you to get it under control. If it bites me I will kick it

Stop being so precious about your dogs.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I wonder what would happen if I was walking my leopard and it tore your leg off as you went past? Technically cats are classed as wild animals and you don't actually own them, they just choose to live with you until a better owner/offer comes along. Who would be liable?

Lighten up chaps, weather is getting better, trails are drying out, it's all good!

anagallis_arvensis

you let it come up to me it is not being controlled properly and is in breach of the law – that is clear

No it isnt, the law says the dog must be "dangerously out of control" and the worried person must have a "resonable apprehension" that it will injure them. So someone is dog phobic and runs about screaming because my dog is near them thats not illegal, just imoral on my part.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats only under the dangerous dogs act there is other law on this both statue and common.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I think a lot of you are missing the point a dog will not stop biting you if you kick it, it is far more likely to see other riders as an agressor and try to bite them. Its down to the owner pure and simple their in the wrong for not keeping the dog under control, problem is finding out who the owner is and where they live, if they came to walk the dog and parked up you may get the reg number. I stop if I see a dog off the lead or slow right down until the owner gets the dog under control if they don't then I have a word with them.

anagallis_arvensis

is there, really? could you point me towards it?

druidh
    Free Member

In Scotland at least, it an offence for the owner of a dog to let it cause

danger or annoyance to any person

Note the "annoyance" bit. Whether or not someone is in danger from the dog is irrelevant.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup for sure there is – I can't find anything but oblique references to other bits of law – same as for definitions of "under control" Need a legal database I guess with access to all the case law.

anagallis_arvensis

So your sure yet you cant state what laws my dog would be breaking if it was sat next to you licking its arse?

Links are broken but looking into them on other sites I cant see anything that says the dog cannot wander freely amongst people.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/397

druidh
    Free Member

a_a – that list is NOT comprehensive. In fact, it says at the top…

On the following pages, you can read about the laws which affect you and your dog the most.

For example, I can quickly point out that both the Countryside (Scotland ) Act 1967 and the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 are missing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 274 total)

The topic ‘Dogs biting’ is closed to new replies.