Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • dogs at trail ctrs
  • llama

I don’t have a problem with it I like dogs

mtbmatt
    Free Member

If you do like dogs, wouldn’t it be wise to take them somewhere that they wont be subject to being run over or annoy trail users ?

If there were likely to be lots of people around, then I wouldn’t ride with a dog, but where I do ride it is always very quiet. Trail centres are perfect as they have a line to follow and mine at least will stick to the singletrack and not wander.

I wouldn’t go ride Bike Park Wales on a weekend or anything daft like that.

poah
    Free Member

bro in law hit a dog that ran out in front of him, 3 broken ribs, soft tissue damage to hip and 3 months off work. Dogs have no place in trail centres. Only a cock would take a dog to a place designated for MTB’s. If your dog causes an accident its you that will get sued and be criminally liable.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We’re talking about purpose built trails, not shared spaces

Is there such a place? Maybe down south as I don’t keep abreast of the archaic access laws, but certainly in Scotland I can’t think of one single place is that is only for MTBers and no one else.

benp1

It does seem a bit inconsiderate to other users for MTBers to have a dog with them on the ride. It’s just too much of a liability

I cycle with my dog a lot, but would never even think about going to a trail centre, just too busy round there

gummikuh

The point is, I don’t think a dog is a good idea at a trail centre because some think they are the next big thing and ride too fast. Just because it is a trail centre, does not mean you wont come across something, what about someone lying on the ground?
    Foxes, deer, rabbits and other wildlife will be there.
    As I say live and let live, why can’t we all get along?
    I can see why car drivers think the road is for them alone, when we cannot share the spaces we do have.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

You can guarantee at Llandegla at 9/10am on a weekend someone will be setting off with a dog, just as the place is at peak busyness and you are tripping over other rides let alone dogs darting around the place. It might just be the same person(s) who goes there most weekends?!

Personally I think they should ban it, even if only at peak times.

Tiger6791

‘Sup.Dog!!!…..

footflaps

hammyuk
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Is there such a place? Maybe down south as I don’t keep abreast of the archaic access laws, but certainly in Scotland I can’t think of one single place is that is only for MTBers and no one else. [/quote]

Something tells me you don’t read many of the other threads in here….

Shall we start a list?

1.Llandegla
    2.BPW
    3.FoD/Pedalabikeaway
    4…

Tiger6791

What happens if a dog takes a Strava!! segment off you?

Trimix
    Free Member

Footflaps – That dog needs SPD booties, then it could ride a bike 🙂

Tiger6791

Would this be acceptable?

cubist
    Free Member

I’ve taken my dog around the red at Sherwood Pines a couple of times at 06:00 in the AM on a weekday when there is no one around. It’s not something I would consider if we were likely to see anyone else. Likewise I wouldn’t take him on a group ride as its not fair on others in the group.

Whoever it was that took a deer into the ‘downhill’ section and let it off the lead was a bloody idiot because it sent me over the bars.

Tiger6791

Oh Deer!!

legend
    Free Member

Is there such a place? Maybe down south as I don’t keep abreast of the archaic access laws, but certainly in Scotland I can’t think of one single place is that is only for MTBers and no one else.

There certainly are plenty of purpose built mtb trails in Scotland. Just because you can take a dog/horse/baby down them doesn’t mean you should, hence separate walking trails at the likes of Glentress (which you can of course ride on if you really want)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Something tells me you don’t read many of the other threads in here….

Shall we start a list?

1.Llandegla
    2.BPW
    3.FoD/Pedalabikeaway
    4…

Posted 15 minutes ago # Report-Post

As I said, I’m not familiar with your silly access laws.

I agree Legend, it’s pretty dim allowing a dog off it’s lead at the likes of GT, but our access laws mean everywhere (with the very odd exception) is a shared space. Those same laws allow me to ride on all of the private estates etc, so claiming an area as MTB only is really short sighted in the grand scheme of things.

bombjack
    Free Member

IMO its a pretty selfish way to use the trail. By all means if its a natural route, but if its a trail centre (like Cannock) then keep it off the trails. I almost hit a lost trail hound on lower cliff before Xmas, and whilst I appreciate it could have been a deer / rabbit / jabberwocky (delete as appropriate) I’d rather the risk was minimised by the damn dog not being there in the first place.

DT78
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed to write another long response to this. But here goes. Dogs often zig zag and don’t follow the trail. On tighter switch backs they will run through the ferns cutting corners running onto and off trail. I have very very nearly run dogs over at Swanley and fod because they ‘appeared’ like a furry missile from the side and ran across the trail after their owner….

Del

except the majority of trail centres are on FC land, where anyone has a right to go. you need to be able to bring yourself to a halt in the distance available to you. at our local centre i’ve come across horses, dogs, people, whole families out for a stroll, pushchair and all.

If your dog causes an accident its you that will get sued and be criminally liable.

FIFY

milkyman
    Free Member

im with you bacondouble, ban them at peak times
    if I agreed to meet some one there like I did yesterday and they had brought a dog I would just not ride with them, it would really stress me that it was causing a problem for other folk, I used to ride the local disused railway line with my brother and his dog and that was bad enough, never did as it was told, would go looking for things in the bushes then pop out right in front of folk, it was a bloody pain, you could always rely on going out chilled and coming home thinking NEVER AGAIN, and that was a non specific bike route

scotroutes

or ours 🙂

6 Land over which access rights not exercisable

(1)The land in respect of which access rights are not exercisable is land—

(e)which has been developed or set out—

(ii)for a particular recreational purpose

llama

I nearly hit a boar at FoD once, they should ban them.

I nearly hit a sheep at Cwmcarn once, they should ban them too.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Does it hurt Nobeerinthefridge?
    The burning? 😆

iainc

scotroutes – Member
    Nobeerinthefridge »
    As I said, I’m not familiar with your silly access laws.
    or ours
    6 Land over which access rights not exercisable
    (1)The land in respect of which access rights are not exercisable is land—

(e)which has been developed or set out—

(ii)for a particular recreational purpose

darn it, I cannae ride my bike at the dog park anymore…. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Does it hurt Nobbersinthefridge?
    The burning

😆

scotroutes

Does anyone else’s screen do that thing where the letters “r” and “n” merge together to form the letter “m”? 😳

Trimix
    Free Member

You cant ban wild animals 🙂

You can ask people to be considerate and not risk their dogs safety as well as other riders on a purpose built mountain bike trail.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Guess that’s the butthurt kicking in….

Daffy

I had a fairly bad accident at Cwmcarn thanks to someone else’s “trail dog” I was a good 200m ahead of him and the dog decided to latch onto me, not him. I didn’t even know it was beside me until I happened to catch a glimpse of it as I approached a series of s-bends, completely distracted and moving to avoid the dog beside me, I hit the outer edge of the first berm, not sure what happened after that, but I was on the ground. The chap with the dog just rode past without a word…

richc
    Free Member

I don’t think any of the tracks are sole use for bikes, if someone wants to walk up them they can and are entirely within there rights, same with dog walking/horse riding etc.

You may want them to be sole use, but that doesn’t mean they are.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/nwepermissions
    Your Right To Roam

The majority of our forests are dedicated as open access under Countryside & Rights of Way Act 2000 (CRoW) which gives walkers the right to roam across these areas. In many of the rest we operate a permissive right to roam policy. In addition we extend a permissive right to roam to cyclists and horse riders who may use our forest roads and tracks.

You can find out whether your event includes Forestry Commission land by using the MAGIC website.

Whilst everyone has right to individual and family recreation on open access land this right does not extend to holding events or running commercial activities.

mtbfix

I nearly hit a boar at FoD once, they should ban them.

I nearly hit a sheep at Cwmcarn once, they should ban them too.

Don’t forget fat knackers and kids. They are often in the way too. Add them to the banned list, if you would.

Trimix
    Free Member

OK, we have now run out of common sense 🙂

Im off to a trail ctr where I will ride randomly up and down the trail with lots of zig zaggig to keep you all guessing.

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t think any of the tracks are sole use for bikes, if someone wants to walk up them they can and are entirely within there rights, same with dog walking/horse riding etc.

Weren’t they originally built to minimise trail conflict?
    They can do so at their own risk; no chance I’m slowing down for horses or walkers on a dedicated MTB trail.

legend
    Free Member

Trimix – Member

OK, we have now run out of common sense

wrecker – Member
    no chance I’m slowing down for horses

santacoops
    Free Member

I have a dog and he loves coming with me on the bike. Goes mental as soon as he sees me putting my riding shoes on.

I took him to a handful of trail centres when he was younger and they aren’t the right place for him. The ground mashes up his feet pads, lacerates them up. I take him over long rides up the black mountains/brecon beacons/quantocks but trail centres are a no go, hes better company on a long ride anyway.

Needless to say he never knocked anyone off their bikes but i’ve given him a few tyre rubs on his backside now and again! 🙂

Del

They can do so at their own risk; no chance I’m slowing down for horses or walkers on a dedicated MTB trail.

🙄 see also ‘there’s a cycle path next to this road, cyclists using the road had better watch out for me, it was built for cars, they should be on the path where they belong

benp1

Access or right in this isn’t particularly relevant for me

It’s irresponsible to ride with your dog at a place where people go to specifically hoon it around on a bike, and you know that in advance

Unless your dog is always within a metre of you and NEVER deviates from that. But even the best behaved dogs sometimes have a moment

Whether you’re allowed to have a dog there is sort of irrelevant

gummikuh

As for slowing down for horses, trust me on this, if you collide with a horse you will slow down rapidly.

See its MY trail and I will go as fast as I want, get out of my way.

See also, you don’t pay any road tax or insurance get out of my way.

Its all a shared space, sometimes you have to slow down for whatever reason, accept it, and ride accordingly.

alexh
    Free Member

Can the owner safely satisfy the criteria that they are under control in a public space?

I do not think so, based on the fact a dogs presence on a trail would make me worried it could injure me from its actions.

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

I’d not take my dog for fear of injuring someone and being liable

Do any trail centres have protection orders?

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/public-spaces-protection-orders

The comments regarding being able to stop in time are of some merit. Obstacles or obstructions usually don’t move though and you can dodge, hop swerve. Dogs are unpredictable moving objects on a trail. Possibly not so bad in front of you but lethal to the side of you.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘dogs at trail ctrs’ is closed to new replies.