Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • dogs at trail ctrs
  • milkyman
    Free Member

just back from llandegla, and was good to see it so busy and people of all ages out and on there bikes, was also surprised to see a lot of people (on bikes) with dogs, quite a few of the leads, my view is that its maybe not a great idea or perhaps not go at a peak time,is a trail dog now the latest thing that a mountain biker must have

Junkyard
    Free Member

LIke MTB ers well behaved ones are ok the less well behaved ones are not ok

I decide based on what they do not what they are.

Coyote
    Free Member

Trail centres were supposed to be dedicated mountain bike areas where you can be reasonably confident that you won’t encounter ramblers, dog walkers etc. so for me it’s a no.

is a trail dog now the latest thing that a mountain biker must have

I suspect more than an element of truth here.

rOcKeTdOg

LIke MTB ers well behaved ones are ok the less well behaved ones are not ok

If only I carried a crystal ball so I knew for certain that the dog I encounter on a fast blind corner is one of the well behaved ones. Maybe CK do one?

benji
    Free Member

Room 101 for them (was covered in issue 103)

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Yes I’m afraid trail dogs seem to be the latest ‘accesory’

vickypea
    Free Member

I was nearly knocked off my bike by a trail dog at a trail centre. They’re not designed for dogs. Off road outside of trail centres, fine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If only I carried a crystal ball so I knew for certain that the dog I encounter on a fast blind corner is one of the well behaved ones.

My technique is to be the second person into the blind bend.

HTH

tomd
    Free Member

This gets done every few months on here. Definitely a fashion trend. Personally I don’t get it, but folk will be along soon to tell you about their amazing trail hounds that don’t get in anyone’s way and crap nothing but fairy dust.

obelix
    Free Member

I ride with my dogs on many trails all around NE Scotland, but never take the mutts to any trail centres.

Wish I could say it was out of consideration for other mountain bikers, but if I did I’d be lying. Reason is purely to do with the welfare of the dogs. A mountainbike at full speed over one of their backs will cause major damage, most likely paralysis. Best case scenario of such a collision probably involves multiple broken bones.

nairnster
    Free Member

Any of that consideration for thr poor rider who encounters the dog? Or do you avoid purely out of thought for your dogs?

Shouldn’t be allowed IMO.

obelix
    Free Member

Rider a distant second, doubt they’d end up paralyzed

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

& it’s no from me but I love dogs & ‘dislike’ trail centres. The 2 don’t mix AFAIC.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

doubt they’d end up paralyzed

I like those odds.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don’t have any trail dogs but I’ve got 2 normal dogs. If I’m going up to Nevis Range on a weekday then I might take them as most times I’ve been there on a weekday I’ve not seen another biker. At the weekend, no, and I’ve been to Glentress once, and definitely no there (although that was a weekend).

vickypea
    Free Member

Trail dogs are special like unicorns, they only trump rainbows, none of that disgusting dog muck!

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Generally I’m against dogs at trail centres, however today on the first climb on Cafel at Cwmcarn there were 3 people and two dogs walking down. As soon as they saw me they grabbed their dogs and dived off the trail into the undergrowth. I thanked them and advised there were two riders behind me, they thanked me back. All friendly and smiley.

Which just goes to show most things aren’t a problem if people use common sense and show respect for others. Sadly this is often lacking.

Trimix
    Free Member

Out of courtesy, safety as well as common sense they should not be on a mtb trail center ride.

Im always worried Im going to run one over. There have been some numpties on the forum who reckon their dogs are completely aware of riders, bike behaviour, cornering and speed.

In reality one will cause an accident to a rider or itself soon.

I like dogs, but I dont like having to second guess it as an excited mut zigzags up and down the bloody trail. Or changes direction and runs up towards me instead of following its owner down the trail.

Drac

My dog doesn’t get in anyone’s way but he doesn’t crap fairy dust just rainbows.

hairyscary

Trimix sums my thoughts up exactly, well, apart from the liking dogs bit.

moonsaballoon

I ride with my dog but I wouldn’t take her to a trail centre at a weekend because as much as I think she’s great and 99% of the time she is well behaved she is a dog and they do stupid things sometimes . Also the surfaces tend to be really bad for their pads , I have taken her to drumlanrig as the surface there is fine and it’s never to busy . If your not a dog person I understand why you might have a problem with it but riding with your dog is great fun but you should be honest about how much control you have over them and what situation you have them in .
    Now if you want to ban something from trails I have had a couple of occasions where I have met groups riding with a speaker blasting out music ,now that is annoying .

xyeti
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of any one else’s Dog, in fact I can’t stand other people’s dogs, I like them even less half way up the climb from The cafe at CYB on the short cut, especially when the owner gives you that reassuring “It’s OK, he doesn’t bite”

THEN it knocked my son of his bike, fantastic,
    I doubt any of them shite Rainbows or fairy dust but I know one thing for sure, if you went riding round a Dog Walking designated area there would be something to say……..

It’s self centred and downright rude, the last thing I want to encounter scutching down a descent is a stupid dog and its I’m way cooler than you owner,

xyeti
    Free Member

double Tap

tthew

Last time in was at llandegla, there was a bloke having a right Barney about ‘that bloody dog’ that just knocked him off. As I passed the felled riders mate he just rolled his eyes and said, ‘happens every time, I don’t know why he brings it’

🙄 indeed.

milkyman
    Free Member

I dont have a problem with dogs at all and round where i live there is loads of walkers with there dogs and I have had the odd near miss but its a diss used railway line thats for every one so its never really bothered me, but at a trail cntr like today the owners seemed stressed (very), because there dog wouldnt come back to them in the car park which was very busy today

MoreCashThanDash

Room101 in the current mag got it spot on. Trail dogs are great, but not at trail centres.

You can walk dogs next to a road, you wouldn’t do it at a race track.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Trail centres with specific MTB trails definitely no dogs anywhere else is fair game in my view.

singlespeedstu

I like them even less half way up the climb from The cafe at CYB on the short cut

So on a public road then not a manmade trail just for the use of mtbers. 😉

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I don’t see an issue if it is quiet and the dog is well behaved.

Coyote
    Free Member

I don’t see an issue if it is quiet and the dog is well behaved.

Dog might be well behaved but how will it react to a bike suddenly appearing at reasonable speed? Ride with your dog by all means just not at a trail centre.

Del

you’d do well to be able to stop in the distance you can see for your own safety. mtb trails might be purpose built but are not closed circuits!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Staggers me that some consider it completely reasonable to have a pooch freely wander around trails that are specifically designated for riders to be nailing at high speeds.
    I’m sure your mutt is fine 99% of the time, but that one ride out of a hundred may well be the one that it decides to stop and lay an egg or do an about turn on an obscured corner – or run straight across an adjoining trail.

A cyclist committed to a turn or concentrating on the trail ahead (and not directly at the dog running out of the scrub and into their front wheel) can easily be doing speeds that would cause serious injury to all involved. If you can’t accept or empathise with that then you aren’t responsible enough to own a dog.

alexh
    Free Member

I watched a video of someone following said trail dog and it’s owner at a trail centre. The owner isn’t the quickest dh, but even he dropped the dog,leaving a very frustrated rider behind who didn’t want to try and pass the dog.

mattbee

Aren’t you supposed to be able to stop in the distance you can see? Unless you’re riding closed trails, during a race for example, there could be anything just around the corner. Dog, poo, deer, injured rider, alien invader, worlds biggest inappropriately placed mirror….
    Whatever your stance on the suitability of trail centres as venues for dog accompaniment you have a responsibility to ride within your ability to control your bike.
    Me? I ought to have a copy & paste reply set on a timer for this thread but for the record: dog owner, he’s to old/knackered to come riding now but he used to. He preferred natural trails as kinder to his paws but FOD, Coed y Brenin, Swinley, Cannock, Glentress, Newcastleton, never met anyone who had anything to say about him being there so I assume they were all busy on here rather than actually out in the real world. X

hora
    Free Member

Another reason why I avoid trail centres.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Dog might be well behaved but how will it react to a bike suddenly appearing at reasonable speed? Ride with your dog by all means just not at a trail centre.

For someone to appear at reasonable speed it would assume that you have to ride slowly when you have a dog with you.

Trimix
    Free Member

OK, so everyone on this thread reasonably explains they don’t like dogs on trails when riding at trail ctrs.

But mtbmatt, are you the exception ?

If you do like dogs, wouldn’t it be wise to take them somewhere that they wont be subject to being run over or annoy trail users ?

gummikuh

If its a closed trail then it is no place for a dog, or deer or rabbit, or fox, get my point? go to a skate park? all concrete.

I ride at Woburn and there are loads of dogs around and horses, I don’t get excited about them. Live and let live, its a shared space.
    You really don’t want to upset these people as next we lose access to the area.
    A little courtesy goes a long way, I hate it when they crap everywhere, but just because of the actions of a few mindless idiots, we want to ban them?

What’s worse is owners who keep them on a retractable lead that then crosses the path, I have been tangled up in one and I dragged the dog a good few metres before I fell off.

chestrockwell

I love my dog but I spend a decent part of everyday exercising her, rain or shine and whether I want to or not. I don’t get out on my bike as much as I’d like and when I do it’s a bit of time for myself so why on earth would I want to bring my dog? It’s a no from me and out of order at a trail centre.

legend
    Free Member

If its a closed trail then it is no place for a dog, or deer or rabbit, or fox, get my point?

Only the dog has been brought, deliberately, into the environment. We’re talking about purpose built trails, not shared spaces

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘dogs at trail ctrs’ is closed to new replies.