Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 196 total)
  • Dogs at trail centres. What's all that about then?
  • user-removed
    Free Member

hora – Member

user-removed – your assuming that you are the fastest rider on the trail as well? What if someone comes up behind you to overtake? How do you recall your dog?

user-removed – Member

My dog doesn't get to come with me to my (very rare) trips to trail centres

I suggest you go to the doctors ASAP as you're obviously suffering from dog aids of the brain.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

terrahawk

More rules, that's what we need.

On reflection, I think you're right. We should free ourselves from this rigid way of thinking. We need less rules in this potentially lethal sport we all love.

In fact, I'm off to book another trip to whistler. Think I'll take a toddler with me, someones toddler, and strap him into a child seat so he can enjoy the trails. I'm sure he'll love Schleyer, but not before I smoke some crack and drink a bottle of Tequila.
    I wonder will I be able to get Buddy, my pet attack Hyena into the chair lift with us.

grumm
    Free Member

More rules, that's what we need.

No, what we need is more common sense and consideration for other people.

glenp
    Free Member

No, what we need is more common sense and consideration for other people.

quite so. Here here. Live and let live. If there's a dog "in the way" why not just wait a minute?

hora
    Free Member

Its good though that the people with dogs are willing to pay for any damages or loss of earnings they might cause to other riders due to their dog 😉

Me and Bingo captured by SFB at Rivi 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Even a hard hearted dog hater like me melted a little to see the border collie enjoying Laggan! Big air off the jumps, railing the berms and not getting in anyone way at all.

I have zero problem with a well trained dog under control no matter where it is.

terrahawk
    Free Member

In fact, I'm off to book another trip to whistler. Think I'll take a toddler with me, someones toddler, and strap him into a child seat so he can enjoy the trails. I'm sure he'll love Schleyer, but not before I smoke some crack and drink a bottle of Tequila.
    I wonder will I be able to get Buddy, my pet attack Hyena into the chair lift with us.

At the moment, you're perfectly entitled to do so (apart from the drugs bit, which you're not). Let us know how you get on, like.

mangatank
    Free Member

quite so. Here here. Live and let live. If there's a dog "in the way" why not just wait a minute?

Ah, dogs…the Nissan Micra of the trail centre 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Don't mind waiting a minute – just don't like being surprised by dogs running out in front of me when going fast on a bike, or having them jump up at me. Hardly unreasonable is it?

hora
    Free Member

If there's a dog "in the way" why not just wait a minute?

8/10 for the troll.

terrahawk
    Free Member

A friend of mine had to slow down at Lee Quarry last week as there were sheep all over the trail. It must have cost him vital seconds.

If he'd had the presence of mind to remember his dog, he would not have had this problem.

terrahawk
    Free Member

8/10 for the troll.

uh?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have zero problem with a well trained dog under control no matter where it is.

Anywhere? I assume you are not being literal. I can think of many places I never want to see a dog no matter how well trained it is. Sat on my head right now for example

hora
    Free Member

Trail centres Terrahawk ..not windswept desolate moorland 😉

mangatank
    Free Member

Trail centres Terrahawk ..not windswept desolate moorland

Quite. It's about dogs on the blue and red, not the canal path.

However, I recall being hemmed in by approx 130 highland cows on one ride last year…yeah well,you had to be there to see how it happened. Flow was FUBAR that day.

hora
    Free Member

O/T: Cows? **** they can be a scary beast to deal with. Couple of rides (funnily with Pook) and they are with calf so highly protective. One instance another unrelated cow started to approach us from the rear. Then there was me legging it across the moorland at an oblique angle as the cow and calf were blocking my escape!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member

"I have zero problem with a well trained dog under control no matter where it is".

Anywhere? I assume you are not being literal. I can think of many places I never want to see a dog no matter how well trained it is. Sat on my head right now for example

I don't see the problem? You see the well trained dog is leaving his beer alone.

mangatank
    Free Member

Yep, that was the same situation, only on an epic, John Wayne scale! To avoid confusion, I should stress that the cows weren't at the trail centre.

hora
    Free Member

could I also add that no cows were harmed in the production of my anecdote.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I don't see the problem? You see the well trained dog is leaving his beer alone.

I love the internet. There's a picture to be found for every occasion
    😆

hainey
    Free Member

This was done a few months back and I haven't read all the posts but I think like most if the dog is under control and poses no threat to the enjoyment of others riding then its a good thing.

I take my lab to trail centres all the time, mainly mid-week though as trail centres are horrible places to be at weekends anyway!!! 😉

He's good, always stays out of the way, comes when told and its a great workout for him. Just an extra water bottle in the camelbak to give him half way round and thats about it.

Good times.

mattbee

STW Revolva-topic #32.

My Springer/Lab cross comes uot with me on trail centre rides when I'm pretty sure it will be quiet, and the same for longer stuff locally, SDW etc… I wouldn't hit Cwm Carn on a Sat or Sun with him for example.

I'm fully in control and can stop him from a dead run to a sit in the time it takes him to decellerate. However, I don't like riding myself when there's loads of others on the trails so I don't see why I should subject him to the same.

The only time he tends to get in the way is not when we're out on the bikes but when I'm bouldering as he likes to sit on my crash pad!

I think some people need to relax a little bit and realise that the trails weren't put in for their exclusive enjoyment. I don't want to have to slow down for some poncy bike riding mincer who's obviously spent too much time on the internet and too little on the bike. I still have to if I ride at 'conventional' times, hence my preferred riding time of zero:dark hundred or rainy Thursday mornings. I don't expect IT types get time off then so I work around them. Maybe some of you should consider some sort of understanding of the concept of sharing or just remember that life should be filled with joy not bile?

mangatank
    Free Member

I don't want to have to slow down for some poncy bike riding mincer who's obviously spent too much time on the internet and too little on the bike

just remember that life should be filled with joy not bile

😆

terrahawk
    Free Member

Quite. It's about dogs on the blue and red, not the canal path.

which canal path? I didn't say anything about a canal path.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I think some people need to relax a little bit and realise that the trails weren't put in for their exclusive enjoyment

Isn't that exactly the argument that crops up on here time and time again? I.e. trail centre trails maybe should be for our exclusive enjoyment, whilst we share the bridleways, BOATS etc

We all expect other bikers on a bike trail, we don't all expect dogs.

mattbee

This is just another circular argument. The dog owners who ride with their dogs will say, like me that they are in conrtol, they make sure they aren't in anyone's way etc. Then the dog owners who don't ride with their dogs will say that they think its a bad idea. The non dog owners will either not care and therefore not reply or even read the topic and those who have had a near miss or run over a big slimy dog egg will argue with different levels of vitriol that dogs shouldn't be allowed on the trails.

Me? I reckon that pheasants should be banned from them. The only thing alive I've ever hit (well, apart from flies, wasps and once 2 of my mates…) was a pheasant and by god the mess was awful. Trashed front wheel, buggered forks; RST Mozo Pros – blood got past the seals and into them! (Maybe more to do with the crap seals but I digress.) Maybe deer should be banned too? I've seen a few of them about on trails and don't get me started on sheep!

Reminds me why although I've been a lurker on here since the early days of the old forum my posts probably number less than 20. The OU must be delighted to have so many students on their 'Bloody/Closed minded argument' course, is it a dual qualification or just one certificate?

Oh, Mangatank. I see what you did there. my pot has been wondering where that kettle had gone. 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

No one is daft enough to think we can remove all risks from riding at trail centres. Ice, mud, other bikers, deer, pheasants are all the kind of thing we would be annoyed at hitting but can hardly complain about it (well, maybe bikers!). We – as dog owners – have the power to keep dogs off them tho'. The debate is, should we?

rkk01
    Free Member

We all expect other bikers on a bike trail,

not on designated trails

All just a misunderstanding of our wonderful language.

I think you are getting "designated" confused with "dedicated"

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

What about horses? Colleague is a keen horse rider and goes out with her boyfriend on bridleways – him on his bike.

Would anyone object to them pitching up at GT or Afan?

hora
    Free Member

A few weeks ago I stopped my bike for two Collies and a lady walking in horse riding gear. All I did was say 'hello' to the collies and one immediately jumped up into my arms and stuck its tongue down my throat. I was sat on the bike with arms full of Collie 😆

mattbee

"We – as dog owners – have the power to keep dogs off them tho'. The debate is, should we?"

Something I think each individual has the responsibility of deciding given their own unique circumstances I think.
    I am happy with my choices (that's why I made them) and can understand why others choose otherwise. I think it's a shame that such mundane things can get some people so worked up. Magnanimity would seem to be a scarce and sometimes scorned thing hearabouts.

As I've already said I avoid riding at 'peak' times because I enjoy the feeling or solitude when I'm shredding my gnar on a sweet peice of trail, hound in close persuit. Maybe it's some sort of primal endorphin hit from the vague feeling of being persued by a wolf or something, makes me feel more 'alive'. The presence of loads of others on clattering bikes with labouured breathing and the rustle of man made fibres eminating from them isn't my ideal accompaniment but I don't get upset if I'm not alone, I just live with it and accept that the moment will soon pass.

In such spirit I suppose that some of us will always disagree and as such there's little point in this debate. The internet would be so boring if everyone thought like that though, wouldn't it?

hora
    Free Member

What do trail centres say on the matter. Would be interesting to hear their views of dogs unsecured on trail centre trails.

Your answer lays there. Can't you run your dog somewhere else? Or are you armouring up in the carpark next to your Warrior pickup and unloading your trail dog ready for a session? 🙄

Stop watching those biking lifestyle vids folks.

rkk01
    Free Member

And, seeing as the OP was on about Glentress,

doesn't "Right to Roam" come into it.

Just because someone has made a new trail path, designated a colour and given it a silly name – doesn't mean it's not available for all to enjoy…

…enjoy 😆

druidh
    Free Member

rkk01 – Member
    And, seeing as the OP was on about Glentress,

doesn't "Right to Roam" come into it.

"Right to Roam" is English legislation and does not apply in Scotland. However, the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2004 provides for responsible access. The question here is: how responsible is it to allow a dog to use a designated mountain bike trail. I'd argue that it's just as irresponsible as a chapter of the local Ramblers Association walking up the Spooky Woods descent.

rkk01
    Free Member

"Right to Roam" is English legislation

Ah, @rse, it's Friday afternoon – but you clearly saw through my error….

Yes, it would be irresponsible, no I wouldn't take my dog to a trail centre, but the point of the thread – as always with these topics – no, they are not (legally) dedicated trails for mtbers….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rkk – in Scotland its debatable :-=)

There is a provision in the LRA for "land set aside for a specific purpose" ie horse riding gallops to be exempt from the access rights – altho I think you have to apply to a sherrif for the exemption ad no one has done so – so its not clear if it would be granted for MTB trails.

teh other aspect is the "reasonable" qualification. I doubt horses on MTB trails would be reasonable – but dogs?

A debate to be had with no clear cut answers

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Is it me or are some people missing the point (or maybe I've just invented my own point now – wouldn't be the first time)?

As far I know there is nothing stopping a dog/walker/horse going on a man-made "trail centre" trail, just a few signs suggesting they perhaps shouldn't. Would all the "live-and-let-live" types on this post feel the same if you went down to GT/Cannock/Afan/Whinlatter this weekend and found the local stables out for a ride on Ned and his chums? Neigh, I think not (sorry, I'll get my coat)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – if the dog is under close control tho?

mattbee

"Can't you run your dog somewhere else?" Yup, and we don't mind when bike riders use the footpath we're on. It's not 'cheeky' when we're walking. He prefers nice swoopy singletrack like me too, maybe I should have taken him on more doubletrack when he was younger.

"Or are you armouring up in the carpark next to your Warrior pickup and unloading your trail dog ready for a session?"
    More dragging my battered singlespeed out of the back of the 90 and poking the dog out of the passenger footwell. Last time I wore armour was playing at knights as a kid 30 years ago. 😉 (emoticon I possibly should have used in my last post to indicate tongue in cheek)

druidh
    Free Member

TJ – The Countryside (Scotland) Act 1967 defines "under close control" as being on a leash or no more than one pace away from the human in charge. Assuming that we can ignore the leash idea on grounds of rider safety, I'd have no issues with a dog that close – I'd never cycle that close to another cyclist anyway, so the dog would never be in the way.

And frankly, given the skill levels of some riders, I'd never take my dog to a trail park in case it was injured by someone not riding within their abilities and/or stopping distance.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 196 total)

The topic ‘Dogs at trail centres. What's all that about then?’ is closed to new replies.