Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dogs and babies
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Obviously prompted by the news today…

I've got two kids, one nearly 9, one nearly 3, and two dogs, a Jack Russell about 18 months, and a black Lab about 12 months old, so had both kids before we got either dog.

Once, and only once, the jack russell snarled and growled at the smaller child. May be that the child was doing something, but whatever the reason, the dog got the bollocking of his life from me, which worked, and neither of them have shown any aggression to anyone since (although the JR will growl at the Lab when he's asserting himself over her, never to any of us. They also bark at the door when someone comes, but never growl or snarl at visitors).

The younger child is never left alone with the dogs, maybe in the lounge while we're in the kitchen next door or something, or in the bathroom, but never further away than that. The older one sometimes takes them across to the field with her friends.

We've got another baby arriving in May. Apart from never leaving it unattended with the dogs (i.e. not even leaving the room), what else do I need to think about? Not so much from a health/cleanliness point of view, but safety wise?

jedi

my daughter grw up with jack russells about. first molly and then breeze and summer. they are awesome with kids

thegreatape
    Free Member

Aye, Alfie is great with them, and Sam adores him. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. I just don't want to take any chances when the new baby's here.

grantway
    Free Member

After how Daughter was born we waited till she was around
    3 years of age before we bought a dog,we bought a Golden Retriver.
    In my eyes one of the best dogs to have with young children in the house.

dangriff
    Free Member

+1 vote for Golden Retriever. Ours just lies on her back while my 1.5 yr old daughter climbs all over her. One of the softest and calmest natured breeds to have around children.

*Still would never leave the kids alone with her though (or the cat for that matter).

Onzadog
    Free Member

Staffordshire Bull Terriers are known as nanny dogs but that's not what their reputation would have you believe (I don't own of prefer that breed, just an example). The point is, children and dogs mix just fine so long as they've been taught to respect each other. It's dogs and dickheads that don't mix (and it's always the dog that cops the blame).

You're doing the right thing by not leaving them along (who knows what the kid might try and poke the dog in the eye with) in the same way as you wouldn't cross the road without looking for traffic. Most breeds will be defensive of other pack members. My GSD would always look after my gran and even tell her when it was time to go to bed!

surfer
    Free Member

I have a Lakeland terrier. She is good with the kids and thinks she is one of them!
    My kids are older and I take the view that any dog no matter what breed has the ability to inflict damage. I dont buy the rubbish that all dogs can be trusted. They may never put a foot out of line but the issue is that if they do the consequences can be catastrophic, whether they are a Jack Russell or a Bull Mastiff.
    Obviously the potential is greater with a larger dog than a smaller one to actually kill however small dogs can inflict terrible facial wounds.

My dads friend had a Stafordshire bull terrier and a very young baby. He walked out of the room for a minute and heard the dog whine. He rushed back in to find his toddler holding the dogs tongue and the dog unwilling to pull his head back (I assume) in case he hurt the child. My dad assumed the dog had put his tongue out to pant as he was near the fire and the child had took hold of it. A funny story and an example of the nature of bull terriers on the whole. I wouldnt have left my child in the first place.

Milkie
    Free Member

the dog got the bollocking of his life from me, which worked, and neither of them have shown any aggression to anyone since

That's the right thing to do. Show them who is the pack leader, and they should fall in line. Remember dogs grow up in a pack, so think of your family as a pack, you showed your dog that the kids are above the dogs. No doubt something similar will have to happen with the baby.

With the dogs barking at the door, they are trying to protect you and show the outsiders that this is their territory. Again, you have to show your dogs that you are the only one that bark at the door. There are many ways of acheiving this, one would be to get a neighbour to keep popping over and ringing the bell, and you being able to let your dog know not to bark.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dogs and babies’ is closed to new replies.