• This topic has 62 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Dog walkers rights – anyone know about them?
  • will1
    Free Member

We have a farm very close to our house that we have walked our dog through for the last 8 years. Today I went up and the farmer has blocked the access for the dog but the style is still there. We have a boxer so no chance of lifting her over the style. I spoke to the farmer – who we do get on with and he said he would look at it this afternoon. went back up tonight and it's just the same. Do landowners have to provide access for dogs with walkers? I always thought they did as my in laws live out in the sticks and have to provide access for walkers through their garden. The local authority have told him recently that he has to provide access for dogs over his cattle grid. Thanks.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

its his land, his boundries, he has the right to block any one with good reason

will1
    Free Member

what about the right to roam rules?

hora
    Free Member

The local authority have told him recently that he has to provide access for dogs over his cattle grid.

Absolutely NO offence meant but why though? What next a farmer should provide access for wheelchairs?

user-removed
    Free Member

If TJ's around I'm sure he'll be along, but in his absence, I'm pretty sure that even in Ingerland, land owners have a duty to keep rights of way passable. Not sure if this extends to dogs or not – probably not.

grumm
    Free Member

Oh lordy…

Edric64
    Free Member

its his land, his boundries, he has the right to block any one with good reason

Not a public right of way he hasn't

sofatester
    Free Member

Tea anyone?

will1
    Free Member

Hora
    The cattle grid is into my in laws garden (not a farm) and they asked the same 'why'? There is a path apparently through his garden and he has been made to put in a style over his garden wall and has now been told to allow dog acces over or around the cattle grid at his own cost!!

large418
    Free Member

Has to give access to public rights of way for people, but no rights of access at all for dogs. Unless you can appeal to his good nature, you're out of luck.

grumm
    Free Member

and has now been told to allow dog acces over or around the cattle grid at his own cost!!

And you feel this is reasonable?

will1
    Free Member

grum, unreasonable or not he has been told to do it. The point I was making was that if my father in law has to provide access for dogs through his own private garden then surely a landowner has to do the same to open moorland?

fubar
    Free Member

I'm all for access to footpaths but I've never heard of any right of way for dogs. There are loads of places where the only option is to carry a dog over a ladder stile or otherwise turn around.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I fitted carrying handles to my dogs, although I think they're sometimes called collars.

br
    Free Member

How about suggesting to the farmer that you'll pay for a 'stile' with dog access?

soobalias
    Free Member

a stile and a cattlegrid are very different prospects to a dog.

whats wrong with your boxer if she cant clear a stile? Old, overweight or just 'refuses'

Gooner
    Free Member

if its a public right of way then in law a dog is natural accompniment to a walker so they cannot refuse access to a dog provided it is on a lead and/or under control

speak to your local authority right of way officer

grumm
    Free Member

if its a public right of way then in law a dog is natural accompniment to a walker so they cannot refuse access

Hang on, he's not refusing access is he? Just not providing special facilities for ones that are too lazy to jump over a wall?

project
    Free Member

Why notm just walk round the field without your dog, and let the dog crap in your garden, that would be easier.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Right of way for dogs.

FFS

Shorty121
    Free Member

Maybe he has forgotten to do what he said he was going to do and will get round to it. Being in the farming end of my business I know farmers are very busy

iain1775
    Free Member

Hang on, he's not refusing access is he? Just not providing special facilities for ones that are too lazy to jump over a wall?

Some dogs cant just vault over walls, mine for example is anything but lazy but has £2k worth of titanium supporting her cruciate ligament after once fallng down from a style
    Once she was a great dog, has been everywhere with us, up Snowdon, all over the lakes (including a 15 mile hike when we didnt realise her cruciate was gone)and Scotland etc, now we have to be really careful and limit her to about 3 hours gentle exercise max.
    All because of a dodgy style that even humans would have struggled to get over that hadnt seen any maintenance for tens of years

Having said that Im not aware of any legislation that access has to be provided for dogs, in fact I would imagine quite the opposite

Im now quite used to lifting my 28kg Lab over styles or rooting around field boudaries for holes in fences and hedges to get her through. Its never really been too much of a problem (so long as you dont mind nearly putting your back out lifting up a wriggling, wet, dirty cow shit riden dog

IanMunro
    Free Member

I saw the work on the stannah stairlift for elderly cats and dogs was well under way on Snowdon last weekend.

/edit: apologies to the previous post, it wasn't aimed at you, just unfortunate timing!

hora
    Free Member

OP- no offence. This is a troll?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have a Boxer too and she has always struggled with styles, so if we are confronted by one we turn around.

I would say offer to pay for a dog friendly one or forget about it. I can see why some farmers might not want dogs on their land

Drac

Yup grow some muscles and lift the dog over, teach it jump where it's safe or find a hole in a hedge or a fence.

FFS!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don't think you get any additional rights as a dog walker and I don't think ( but don't know for sure) that the landowner needs to make any specific provision for dogs.

yunki
    Free Member

2Ks worth of titanium hey…………need new ti axles in my pedals… could I maybe…?
    [plan forming]Have you thought about what you're going to do when……?
    Recycling is the way forward in this day and age and I was just…..
    [/plan forming]

hmmm… distasteful.. I won't post this..

TooTall
    Free Member

I spoke to the farmer – who we do get on with and he said he would look at it this afternoon. went back up tonight and it's just the same.

OMFG!! SHOCKING! You asked someone to look into something ON A SUNDAY and it wasn't dealt with to your satisfaction THAT DAY?!? 🙄 Complain to the NFU!

Man up, grow a pair and lift your dog over.

iain1775
    Free Member

yunki

It was exactly my justificatio for buying a Ti hardtail – "well the dog has some, so I need some"

It worked 😉

Drac

Shit wish I'd though of thay Iain, my old Lab hard a Ti leg.

hora
    Free Member

Man up, grow a pair and lift your dog over.

Or do what some cyclists have done on Rushups edge and knock down sections so you don't have to stop to cycle through.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL at the predictable responses on this thread.

falk1
    Free Member

I spoke to the farmer – who we do get on with and he said he would look at it this afternoon. went back up tonight and it's just the same.

I'm surprised the farmer entertained you. At least give him a chance to see if he wasn't fobbing you off.

konagirl
    Free Member

The OP didn't make it very clear whether or not the land they refer to is a public footpath or open access land or both. But either way, although dogs are not specifically mentioned in the Acts of Parliament, it is generally considered that they are 'usual accompaniments' to walkers and are therefore 'permissible' on footpaths, other Rights of Way and open access land, provided they are 'under control' and in the case of Rights of Way do not deviate from them. However, as far as I am aware the farmer is under no 'obligation' to provide access for dogs, prams etc, only for pedestrians. (There are of course a few exceptions when dogs can be abnned from farm land, for example for up to six weeks when lambing).

As already mentioned, if you only talked to the farmer about this at the weekend, don't expect anything to change in the next week or so. Be reasonable! And as b r said, why not offer to pay for the means of access if you are the one who needs it? I would comment, at least you talked to the farmer first; don't get the Access Officer at your Council involved unless you really feel you have to.

If the route is a footpath or indeed open access land, do you keep to your side of the agreement with regard to keeping your dog on a lease (Right of Way i.e. they should be kept within 1m of the line of a footpath or 2m from a bridleway or byeway) or within your control (open access)? Do you clean up after your dog (legal requirement on some footpaths and considered good practise and polite)?

In the case of your in-laws, I would question the Access Officer's reasoning behind the request for alternative access to the cattle grid… Is it for disability (i.e. guide or hearing dogs), prams, wheelchairs or some other reason? I would say it seems a bit odd, unless there is proof of frequent use by a person with a guide dog or similar. But if they don't like the route of the access, they can ask for the line to moved away from their main drive / away from their house, particularly if they can show it is intrusive, people don't keep to the line of the footpath, don't clear up mess after their dogs etc. Their solicitor should have made them aware of the presence of the FP and their legal obligation to maintain it and its access at their own cost when they bought the property.

hora
    Free Member

Jesus Christ. What farmers/small holders must have to jump through even before they start on the EU Directives on livestock, numbers etc etc.

dave360

dodgy style? I should be so lucky.

soulrider
    Free Member

i have 2 dogs – they weigh 45kg each and no they are not overweight

anyone fancy a go at lifting them over a high fence/wall.. i am talking 3.5ft or higher..

I know they can get over 3.4ft cos thats how high the fence at home is which they have occasionally been know to vault.

hora
    Free Member

Maybe the Farmers should open up their homes and provide toilet facilities? After all, where should one go when out and about walking?

nonk
    Free Member

if the dog is to heavy and wont climb the fence then maybe that way is not for you?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Dog walkers rights – anyone know about them?’ is closed to new replies.