Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dog trailers – Opinions please
  • julioflo
    Free Member

Me and the wife are looking for a dog trailer for when we ride with the dog further afield.

We figure it is better to take him with us when we are going on long road rides, rather than leave him behind.

Does anyone have any experience of using one. We have a border terrier so relatively small.

We have been looking at something like the below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008FBQG22/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0046SIIM4&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=00RW9SCVW0D2PDDJE5XF

Cheers

Drac

There’d be no hell in getting our Border in one of those.

tim2106

My wife and I are thinking about a trailer for our Border Terror too. Saw one just like this being used by a couple to take their Border round Gisburn Forest last time I was there and the Border seemed quite happy and jumped in without a fuss. The thing that I’m concerned about is that having two wheels, not only will you get up/down movement over bumps, but also side to side if one wheel hits a bump that the other doesn’t. I’m therefore more inclined to consider a single wheel type trailer as I would think there would be less chance of mutt being sick? Or am I mistaken?? I’d be very interested to hear experiences of anyone using any kind of trailer for their dog.

julioflo
    Free Member

Thanks for replying Tim.
    I am thinking our Border will be quite happy in one as well, he can be quite mellow at times.

Initially I thought a single wheel trailer would be the way to go, for similar reasons, and less drag, but have yet to find one with a carrying enclosure.

Found this one last night, the more expensive version seems well made, but the smaller appears too small (although he would be able to stick his head out of the skylight) judging by their measurements/ guidelines.

Doggy Ride

tim2106

We have a dog crate that she sleeps in whenever we go away anywhere, I was thinking of trying to find a single wheel trailer that the crate could fit into and then working out a DIY method of fixing the two together safely. But it would probably be a lot easier to just get a trailer like the one you have found!

Drac

Why are you concerned about a trailer for a BT anyway? They were bred for following horses so can run for miles.

tim2106

Agreed, she can run and run. Just want to put her in a trailer for the on road bits between the running bits. She is not ok near roads. Or sheep. And I’ve tried cycling whilst holding her on a lead. Didn’t go well!

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve seen modified BBB Yaks for carrying dogs – more offroadable than a two wheel trailer.

Oh, and you have to get some Doggles too 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

As a dog owner this seems a bit weird really.

sweepy
    Free Member

If the dogs not needing a rest then you can safely negotiate the road sections using one of these
    walky dog
    They’re not perfect but work well once the dog has burnt off its initial start of walk madness.

kateb666
    Free Member

Hi I have one of these for sale if your still after one? I’m based in the midlands.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Did you upgrade to one of these?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

kateb666 – Member

Hi I have one of these for sale if your still after one? I’m based in the midlands.

I’m interested in the cart Kate, any chance you can email me link in my member name.

stevegtu
    Free Member

Had one of these for a few years now although ours is a large one, My first Labrador hated it but my next Lab puppy went in it from 9 weeks to get her used to traffic. Now she jumps in for the road sections and out for the rest,love it

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dog trailers – Opinions please’ is closed to new replies.