Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Dog rescue Home check tomorrow eve…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…obviously they’ll be asking us questions but what should we be asking ?

All advice gladly taken

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ask for a nice juicy one…… the meat can sometimes be a bit dry.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Obvs you need to know about any behavioural issues…has the dog ever bitten anyone etc, and what about health issues.

Rescue cats IME are usually prety good and generally become owner-less due to death or relationship break-up rather than because they were too challenging. I’m sure a lot of rescue dogs are similar, but probably not all.

househusband

Good on you, unfitgeezer, and all the best for tomorrow.

(We’ve gone from zero to two dogs in less than two years but having never had them before wanted to go through the process from getting them as puppies. I’d still like a rescue (lurcher or greyhound) at least once sometime in my life.)

simmy
    Free Member

Have you chosen a Dog or is it a general home check then you go and choose ?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Chosen a dog

simmy
    Free Member

Just asking coz there is less to advise.

Guessing they have recommended the Dog as suitable for your circumstances. In that case, I would just ask about any back up from the kennels if you have any behaviour problems. Is anyone there to advise or pop round to help.

Find out as much as possible about the dogs background as they can behave different in kennels.

Have any of your kids, if applicable, been to meet the Dog already ?

Find out also, worst case scenario, what happens if the Dog has to be returned.

Any rules on informing them if you move ?

Is it neutered / chipped etc ( assuming it will be )

What it’s been eating ?

Mum does home checks for a animal charity, and these things will have already been put across to the potential owners by her charity so she just suggested running through that list just to make sure.

Most should have been covered already.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Well done. Good on you for rescuing a pup. What is he/she?

If you have already chosen then you probably have asked all the behaviour questions.

Get as much history as you can, and remember it can take a dog a while to settle in to a new home.

I’ve rescued three from different centres and never had a home check.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Good on you, unfitgeezer, and all the best for tomorrow

+1 for this.

As for what questions to ask, I didn’t really ask any when I got my mine and it’s worked out about as well as anything ever could 🙂

Post pics when he/she arrives!

bubs

What food, previous routine and history are a good place to start. They will be mostly interested in the security of your garden, your routine and your realistic expectations of what is involved and how much it is likely to cost. Good luck.

user-removed
    Free Member

It really doesn’t matter. Dogs are incredibly adaptable so you can rely on him to be the product of his environment from this point onward.

Our rescue was a total nervous wreck, hated people with hats / sticks / faces and was aggressive towards the entire world. Within a few months of showing him that the world is mostly OK, he turned into the best dog ever, and he still is, aged 10 🙂

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39383868

Well done OP and good luck for the assessment.

Sundayjumper

We’ve had two and never had a home check.

First off, Battersea flat-out refused to even consider us as we both worked.

Local place let us take a dog home within 2hrs of us turning up to have a look around. Seemed reckless of them tbh but it worked out well.

The same local place let us have another a year later, but that time we turned up with our first one, and they remembered him, so they could see we were decent owners.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Home check went well, lady that came was really happy
    with us, our cat even behaved !

Only problem we see is that the dog we like may have been picked by someone else- as long as it goes to a good home then all good.

footflaps

Only problem we see is that the dog we like may have been picked by someone else

Bit odd? With our rescue cats we were only shown ones not yet reserved and once you say yes, they are reserved until you take them (we had to wait a few weeks IIRC).

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Error at rescue home with communication between staff. Will know for sure by tomorrow

househusband

Error at rescue home with communication between staff. Will know for sure by tomorrow

Any news..?

juanghia
    Free Member

You should probably just aske them to clarify what is the current advice for dog waste is:

A) Throw poo bag into bramble bushes.
    B) Place poo bags on top of fence post.
    C) Put poo bag near to, on top of, but not in bin.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I’ve been out of action, landed a trip to hospital yesterday bit of a scare- speaking to them in morning

funkmasterp

Hope you’re okay.

piemonster

Local place let us take a dog home within 2hrs of us turning up to have a look around. Seemed reckless of them tbh but it worked out well.

Might be a localised thing? If there are more dogs than homes ‘some’ dog rescue centres seem to rehome easier to avoid dogs being put down. The example I’m thinking of didn’t put dogs down, but took on dogs from centres that did so was always a little desperate to get dogs into homes.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Dog rescue Home check tomorrow eve…’ is closed to new replies.