Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • dog ownership advice
  • flowerpower
    Free Member

@phil – he might be able to build his own kennel, but will he be trained to deal with roof top protests?

Sorry for the poor quality photo, I was hiding in the house…

cinnamon_girl

Phil – my dog lived outside at night, if they’re used to it then it’s not a problem for them!

Going back to what you mentioned about dog possibly accompanying you to work – dogs are incredibly therapeutic for all ages. At my father’s nursing home, there was a lady (possible relative of resident) who regularly took her dogs and it was actually quite calming for the more agitated dementia sufferers.

Love the idea of the sign. 8)

philconsequence
    Free Member

ehehehe fantastic photo!

another email from the ladything, apparently the current handler/owner said he’d make an amazing companion, he would be fine spending time indoors and would be fine being indoors overnight, basically if we were both out all day he said to put him in the kennel and he’d amuse himself as he has done for the past 8 years.

i’m still unsure about all this, told becca that i’d consider it if nobody else could offer him a better home ideally with other dogs if that’s his thing, but if they were struggling to re-home him then i’d speak to the landlord then go from there…. if the handler is saying he’s fine being in a kennel all day and coming in the house in the evenings/overnight would be more attention and stimulation than it normally gets then that’s reassuring, BUT i wont even consider this without meeting the handler and making our situation 100% clear to him.

cinnamon_girl

flowerpower – how many dogs or do you have other creatures? Some serious sheddage there. 😆

Milkie
    Free Member

Phil, It’s good to hear you are putting the dog before you and your SO’s feelings. It’s people like you that should own a dog.

philconsequence
    Free Member

thanks milkie. i’m struggling to think of things more heartbreaking than a fat lab or a sad dog… apart from a STW iDiet thread!

marsdenman
    Free Member

It’s people like you that should own a dog.

Ted the border terrier (currently asleep in a sunlit patch of floor..) Liked your comment 🙂

We’re lucky – today is my ‘day off’ as I’m self employed this usually translates as ‘working from home’.
    When I am at work the commute is 5 mins, on foot 🙂
    Ted being at home means I have to take a lunchtime break, this is a Good Thing in many ways 🙂

MrsToast
    Free Member

Ted being at home means I have to take a lunchtime break, this is a Good Thing in many ways

Yar, Benny gets a walk in the morning before work, one of us will go back during lunch and play fetch* in the garden, then he gets a walk in the evening. We’re certainly getting more exercise, and t’boy doesn’t seem to put out by being left at home a few hours at a time. Wouldn’t have got a dog if we couldn’t have gone home at lunch though, although I am trying to persuade my manager that we need an office dog…

* Fetch = we throw the ball, Benny runs after it and picks it up, then runs around with it.

marsdenman
    Free Member

* Fetch = we throw the ball, Benny runs after it and picks it up, then runs around with it.

Ted plays by the same rules!
    Unless that is, you throw ball and step away to do something else (anticipating above behaviour) in which case, moments later, Ted appears at your feet and drops the ball… 🙂
    Exercise – yep – I walk him morning noon and night – 20-30 mins each time… rain or shine!

nicko74

Is there any chance of either of you working from home during the week? Even a couple of afternoons would make a difference to break up the dog’s long days, and if you could rotate with mrsconsequence it means the impact on each of you is relatively minimal.

The other thing you would need is a walker, IMHO, every day, to come around midday to exercise the dog, wear it out, give it some excitement and so on. And obviously, when you’re home make sure you spend quality time with it.

It’s not a panacea, but realistically if working 8 or 9 til 5 every day precluded having dogs, there would be far fewer people with pets.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Unless that is, you throw ball and step away to do something else (anticipating above behaviour) in which case, moments later, Ted appears at your feet and drops the ball…

Benny will drop the ball on request if you have treats. NO TREATS, NO DEAL!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘dog ownership advice’ is closed to new replies.