Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 184 total)
  • dog on bike trails – wtf!
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

I think you should be allowed to kill them at the trail centre then spit roast them using your seatpost and your super all powerful new night light as a heat source. If the owner says anything to you just wee on their shoes dog stylee

flatfish
    Free Member

Mimi123, do you pee by the side of the trail when caught short whilst out at a trail centre?

I wager you do.

STOP USING THE TRAIL CENTRE AS A TOILET.

I’ll take my dog there if i want, it’s not illegal.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Junkyard i’ve tried… even with a Trout LL on boost, using an endurance battery its only enough to safely cook the thinner parts of a dog…

may i suggest that people who are fed up with dogs at trail centers take along some slightly more exotic pets riding with them

i find a bear or crocodile work well, but often take a wrong line choice and if on a lead, will wrap you around a tree.

oldgit
    Free Member

Theres the issue of another rider not knowing if the dog is a good or bad one, and its not really fair worrying another riderike that.
    However fellow dog owners seem to know the score and I’d probably be fine if the dog was clearly under control. Also some people are petrified of dogs and quite reasonably wouldn’t expect to encounter one at a trail centre.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IMOSN0WYvg[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ll take my dog there if i want, it’s not illegal

Not illegal for me to walk on most trail centres or stop for a picnic mid trail on the route…irresponsible and daft but not illegal so I can do it. Is it wise to do so? Fair to others? Anyway like you flatfish I say f@ck em 😉

mattbee

I used to take my dog riding because he loves it so much, now I just do it in the hope I’ll bump into someone from here who’s not already started or indeed participated in a (seemingly weekly) ‘Dogs on trails’ thread. 😈

allthepies
    Free Member

This is just another justification for “all mountain” trail centre riders to be armed.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

My dog is great on all the rides we go on. She even came out on a night ride with 30 folk and was fine.

Think it depends on the training and level of control you have. I wouldn’t take her to a busy trail centre out of respect to the other riders though.

When we went up to the Lecht she ran up under the chairlift and then raced us down the runs (taking the odd shortcut). Thought she’d be knackered but she kept going all day(!). Well, four hours.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7emcMgT02yo&feature=related[/video]

oldgit
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, just how long can a dog keep running? My old Spinger comes running, we go off piste for about 40 minutes and he is cream crackered after that. Mind you he probaby covers three times the distance from running off in every direction.

philconsequence
    Free Member

new body armour for trails?

wheelz
    Free Member

dazzlingboy – Member
    Coming from a devoted owner of 2 dogs that is saying something. I’d love to take my younger lab round the trails, but taking to Glentress of a weekend is asking for some knob end stormtrooper to run him over.

Why would you assume that the dog would only be run over by a “knob end stormtrooper”? Surely anyone could end up hitting an unruly dog, not just people on 8″ travel bikes auditioning for the latest Star Wars prequel/sequel?

Actually, I don’t see a problem with dogs anywhere, as long as they’re well trained and the owners are responsible.

I’m not sure taking a dog to a busy trail centre on a weekend would be classed as responsible, but it’s the owner’s dog, the owner’s choice and it’s the owner who will have to live with the consequences (and the cost) should the dog get cut it in half with a set of Fox 36’s, or injure a rider unlucky enough to hit it, because they were unable to keep it under control.

myheadsashed

All the 7 staines needs is an exchange with the Korean national mtb team, the number of dogs will rapidly dwindle 8)

oldgit
    Free Member

Is a dog under control if it’s off the lead and the owners riding a bike?

spacemonkey

Anyway- I rode 25km with my pooch last Sunday in Mid Wales. She was one of three dogs tagging along. She stays close to my back wheel unless called forwards, does’t worry livestock, keeps up on the uphills, is wicked on the downs. She gets a bit worried on the river crossings but with gentle cajoling will cross and then gets heaps of praise. If she gets in the way of a wheel she soon learns that it hurts- and it only has happened twice. She always returns when I let her roam and then call her to heel. She is my riding buddy and is great. Riding solo with the mutt is a really good experience. Dogs are not called ‘Man’s Best Friend’ for now’t.

If the dog is misbehaving it is the owner’s fault. Take it up with the owner, the dog is an extension of them.

^^^^
    THIS, plus what TJ said

I’m a dog lover and occasionally take the furry child on XC runs. However, I’m quick to acknowledge some of the trails are particularly MTB-friendly so I’ll either ensure he remains close to me or else we find another route.

Would never consider taking him while riding because he doesn’t have the trail sense and would be a hazard to himself and others riders.

Hence what pi55es me off are riders that take their dogs and let them effectively roam wild. IMO this is plain **** dangerous to all – way too easy for either MTBer or animal to be “ambushed” and hit.

Have some respect for the trails and people who share them.

What pi55es me off is riders who

spacemonkey

Don’t even get me started on w4nk8rs who ride along pavements while holding their dog on a lead. I’d like to see them pulled along while occasionally darting out in front of traffic, and see how they like it.

spacemonkey

Out of curiosity, just how long can a dog keep running? My old Spinger comes running, we go off piste for about 40 minutes and he is cream crackered after that. Mind you he probaby covers three times the distance from running off in every direction.

In winter our Springer used to manage 2hrs or so (with me running), but like you say he was totally knackered by the end. At least the puddles helped him rehydrate, hence I no longer take him out in the summer.

My experience of Springers is they seem keen to use their energy as quickly as possible, unlike Collies and Labs, etc. Therefore they hit the wall early and it’s no fun for anyone. Joint and other arthritic problems can be increased as a result to IMO.

scruff
    Free Member

I take my dog to all trail centeres, he doesnt like the weekends especially at the Welsh ones or Glentress, far too many ATGNI weekeend stormtroopers clogging up the technical features so he cant see whats coming, dogs have much lower level of vision so its difficult to assess drop sizes.

I let him sh1t on the side of the trail, if he does it in the middle I put it in a bag and hang it up on a tree, why do folk expect me to carry it around with me if there are no bins, thats just rank !

dazzlingboy

Slightly off topic but same theory.

Walking along the Union Canal at Harrison Park yesterday – lots of walkers with and without dogs. I have 3 year old in tow (to feed the ducks) as well as two dogs. Lots of cyclists too. What pisses me off are bike riders who ride along this shared path at warp 9. Most are OK, but some (heading to the Pentlands usually, so on a big mission) are simply reckless. Dogs, children and all are in danger of getting mashed.

what pi55es me off are riders that take their dogs and let them effectively roam wild. IMO this is plain **** dangerous to all

agreed

I put it in a bag and hang it up on a tree

is this a troll? Hope so.

cookeaa

I’m not a dog person, I appreciate some people like them fair enough. But I’ve only ever seen them get in the way on trails, I expect them on bridal ways and shared trails, be alert and expect walkers with dogs but bikers taking their own mobile canine obstruction with them is just stupid… Of course it’s “well trained” right up to the point where you’re picking bit’s of it out of your front rotor…

Can’t see why you’d take one with you when you go out riding, either you want to go for a bike ride or you want to ponce about with your bloody pooch!

Often dog lovers will tell me how their mutt is “part of the Family” well I’m not about to let my Daughter scuttle about across singletrack and busy DH trails trying to tangle herself in peoples wheels, so why are people so keen to do the same with their apparently Beloved Dogs…

dazzlingboy

^^^what cookeaa said.

apart from the “not a dog person” bit. 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

I have always chosen dogs that have the stamina to take biking ,usually a collie cross something.I nearly always take mine out with the bike as it’s the only way to exercise them properly.Usually in the local woods ,sometimes round the clic lap on the Mendips

flatfish
    Free Member

Often dog lovers will tell me how their mutt is “part of the Family” well I’m not about to let my Daughter scuttle about across singletrack and busy DH trails

I let the wife do that and my son is keen to start a trail centre too so watch this space….

BillyBull
    Free Member

They can close a wall ride at Glentress for health and safety, surely they can ban dogs as the landowners? Just because your dog is well behaved doesn’t mean it’s good practice at a busy trail centre. But if you ban them all and then you cover the ones not controlled properly. Makes sure neither rider or animal comes to harm. At the end of the day it’s not the dog’s fault their owner is a numpty.

scruff
    Free Member

surely they can ban dogs as the landowners?

Sorry buts thats blatant discrimination.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

it’s uder control until it’s not under control, what is “under control” depends on your “perspective”

someone may regard their dog as a natural accompanyment on the trail the same as a walker, think poo off/ next to the trail is “natural” and the dog running around at random as good fun, the dog snapping at clothing and getting under wheels as high spirits. They also see to believe in the poo fairy who collects bags that hang from trees

others may have a different view

I’ve been out with someone with two “trail hounds” at a trail centre and despite their assurances that they never get in the way they did. The owners also didn’t understand a reluctance to take the dogs onto natural trails when it was the local lambing season and we would be crossing open moor and farmland

someone on a different variant of this subject mentioned dog owners having a level of delusion on a par with alcoholics, I think this is good analogy

slightly OT: as for dogs in public parks, I’d ban/limit them, why should the local football team have to “sh** pick” before each match and kids learning to ride their bikes can’t do it without off the lead dogs being “friendly”. and why do the owners of large dogs think it’s acceptable to take them into fenced off play areas?

surely they can ban dogs as the landowners?

Sorry buts thats blatant discrimination.

are you going to march for dogs rights?

bigyinn
    Free Member

flatfish – Member

I’ll take my dog there if i want, it’s not illegal.

I assume that you and your dog are well insured, should your dog cause someone to crash, cauing injuries to the rider and wrecking their bike?

That sort of attitude (whilst probably only trolling) really sums up the population’s attitude to anyone else these days. F*ck you as long as i can do what I want.
    Grow up!

jam-bo

F*ck you as long as i can do what I want.

it seems most apply that approach to riding footpaths…

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

FC = land manager, not owner 😉

Share and share alike, show some consideration, try not to get too upset about it all, there’s a time and a place etc.

Life is too short to be too angry, too often.

😎

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

It can be – it depends how well its trained.

I have seen my mate do this thru town with his dog. Him on the road, dog on pavement. The dog stopped and waited for permission to cross at every side road and ran straight down the edge of the pavement bothering no one.

Its all down to how well trained the dog is. A properly trained dog that is under control bothers no one and I have seen a couple at trail centres bothering no one. if you dog is that well trained then fine.

oldgit
    Free Member

Although this isn’t actaully an issue for me personaly as I never use trail centres. I am surprised you can take dogs on them. I thought there was even a minimum age for humans?

oldgit
    Free Member

TJ I’m probably over sensative with my dog. As I always think about the people that are petrified of a ‘loose’ dog. mine is always on lead unless we’re in the wilds and I can see anyone coming.

flatfish
    Free Member

I assume that you and your dog are well insured, should your dog cause someone to crash, cauing injuries to the rider and wrecking their bike?

Yes thanks, to the tune of £10,000,000. Although i doubt your bike is worth that anyway.

That sort of attitude (whilst probably only trolling) really sums up the population’s attitude to anyone else these days. F*ck you as long as i can do what I want.
    Grow up!

Theres no law saying I can’t so why shouldn’t I? The trail centre doesn’t belong to you, as it doesn’t belong to me, so until i’m told otherwise i can take a dog.

If you were to hit a dog, that would prove(to me at least) that you weren’t in full control of your bike and maybe you should be having some lessons on bike riding. I’m sure Jedi would be happy to help or even Ed Oxley of this parish.

Remember, Chin Up. 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

Just remember to pop a wheelie prior to impact that way you can ride right over them without slowing too much

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

Although this isn’t actaully an issue for me personaly as I never use trail centres. I am surprised you can take dogs on them. I thought there was even a minimum age for humans?

Not in scotland – they are just paths in the woods.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

flatfish – if your dog gets run over it is not under proper control.

Teh dog should not be bothering anyone else – if it is at a trail centre it should be following you closely and getting off the trail when stopped.

emac65
    Free Member

Dogs on trails are a no no,they are a pain in the a55.Trouble is most people who ride with their mutt’s are too lazy to take them out for a good long walk.
    Oh & BTW I am a dog owner & go for a run with my mutt 3 times a week,as well as walking him twice a day….

s
    Free Member

philconsequence
    Free Member

what tyres for spaniel fur?

emac65
    Free Member

Don’t run over them,just boot’em out of the way….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘dog on bike trails – wtf!’ is closed to new replies.