Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dog food, specifically wet food.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Evening all, my vet has said my bitch suffers from mites & it’s probably a result of the dry food we have always fed her. Her partner has had no such problems so I’m a little perplexed but anyway the vet has recommended Chappie as a good complete wet food.
    Does anyone have any comments on the above as a wet food or can recommend anything better?

Cheers.

simmy
    Free Member

I had a dog that lived to be 17 and one who lived to be 19 fed chappie all their lives.

My grandad bred spaniels and fed them chappie.

ton

always feed my labbies dry food. iams at present. never had a problem.

winston_dog
    Free Member

How does dry food give a dog mites?

I feed my dogs Burns dog food as I was advised wet dog food is complete junk and is linked to cancer is certain breeds. How true that is I don’t know!

GolfChick
    Free Member

I guess the question is what quality dry food did you feed? Btw I’ve never EVER heard of a dog getting mites from a dry dog food and know a lot of dogs that eat dry food every day of their lives with no such problems.

ton

I thought mites came from rubbish bedding in kennels?

Drac

It’s something to do with dust mites moving into the dog food, least Google suggests that, the recommendation is store it in a sealed container.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Drac is spot on, I have always fed my dogs the best dry food that they enjoy, so yes I have switched brands a few times, but never cheap food.

fbk
    Free Member

I think perhaps you’ve misunderstood your vets recommendations. Chappie is often recommended as a cheap, simple, relatively hypoallergenic diet for dogs than find some of the normal stuff a little too rich.
    You can’t get skin mites from food but dogs can be allergic to storage mites that can infest large, open, bags of dry food (or the containers they’re stored in). This in turn leads to itchy skin.

Every food is different though and I wouldn’t have thought STW was the best place to get a 2nd opinion tbh (I’m making quite a few assumptions in my advice).

GolfChick
    Free Member

ahh well there ya go although having said that I do store my dry dog food in a huge sealed container and we feed 50/50 dry to wet dog food. Currently feed wainrights wet from pets at home and have previously fed nature diet and previous dog enjoyed it greatly as it can be warmed up.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thank you fbk, you are right, but I wasn’t looking to question the vet.

fbk
    Free Member

Incidentally, if it is storage mites your dog is allergic to, you can minimize the problem by always storing dry food in a sealed (air tight) container and cleaning thoroughly between bags. Storing portions in a freezer also kills them off but is obviously a lot more hassle.

Hope that helps

edit – no worries. Didn’t mean to criticize but it’s a pet hate of mine to have people coming back to the surgery having ignored my advice because of stuff they read on the internet 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Fbk ( sorry the phone has problems with your moniker), it was the cheapness of the food that had me perplexed, seeing as the vet has always reccomended the sience plan stuff they sell 😉 but I can quite see how you would get peeved by Internet warriors, I get the same in my job 🙂
    Cheers for the replies, I appreciate it.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

chappie is pretty good for a cheap food. but for a really good, cheap food look into the raw meaty bones diet. the change in a dog has to be seen to be believed. (and they shit alot less too). my mum gets frozen raw dog food delivered pretty cheap if you not into having bits of raw meat and bone knocking around

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Chappie is cheap for a reason and it’s not all due to the quality of the ingredients. The Chappie recipe has been pretty much the same for ever so there are few if any R&D costs or marketing costs compared to the premium brands where they’re constantly looking for the next Whizzo ingredient to add which will make your dog be faster, happier and healthier for longer. Each new whizzo means a new product and subsequent marketing campaign. Chappie is pretty much a cash cow which requires very little work to generate satisfactory profit.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

We feed our two Natural Instinct raw food. It’s pretty much just raw meat and bone ground up with nothing added.
    Since we started them on it we’ve noticed that they have less illness and upset stomachs, the Westie has had less skin problems, as they are price to, and they seem to be a little more subdued where with the dry food they were having their behaviour was some times a bit erratic!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Chappie has to be the smelliest dog food out there but dogs do seem to love it!!!

We used to be 100% wet food now we mix 50/50. But +1 for the correct storage for the dry stuff!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dog food, specifically wet food.’ is closed to new replies.