Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dog feed times and quantites
  • highclimber
    Free Member

My dog is now 9 months old and he’s recently gone off eating his morning feed instead opting to gorge at tea time.

for convenience it would be great for us to be able to only feed him the once in the evening but im unsure if this is healthy for him?

anyone else do one feed a day?

Shorty121
    Free Member

All our working dogs get one bowl of feed in the evening and they survive

glenh
    Free Member

Wild dogs / wolves don’t eat three daily meals….

sharkbait
    Free Member

Working cocker here (third one). She gets fed at night after our tea – what she doesn’t eat that night she has the next morning.
    Re volume, go on the makers instructions and adapt to you dog if nec – but don’t over feed.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Whatever suits you beyond once a day. Just make sure you eat first.

donsimon
    Free Member

I used to leave a bowl out for her and she ate when she was hungry.

highclimber
    Free Member

Just make sure you eat first.

I don’t believe that makes a blind bit of difference to a dog’s behaviour. ours has never eaten after us and he’s turned out hunky dory. It’s based on the whole dominance horse crap that I don’t buy into.

anagallis_arvensis

Our lurcher gets fed twice a day some days she hardly touches it other days eats it all. Its a bit wasteful i suppose but no big deal.

highclimber
    Free Member

Wild dogs / wolves don’t eat three daily meals….

that’s the logic I was working on but wanted to make sure it was ok!

soobalias
    Free Member

Kai has his daily food split in two portions. It means he sleeps after breakfast, while im at work…

For some larger dogs its quite important as it can help reduces the chance of gastric torsion, for the same reasons he doesnt get fed straight after exercise.

elaineanne
    Free Member

my whippet is well fussy….some days doesn’t eat hardly anything then a day later or two days later eats loads…biscuites,and snacks he likes, and scrambled egg and ham lol….they only have small tummys lol…oh and he doesnt eat until 10pm.. he knows theres nothing else coming at that time so if he hasnt eaten his tea , he will eat it later… more recently as my daughter is back home with us and her cocker spaniel sonow my whippet has started to eat more 😉

highclimber
    Free Member

I think I have found the answer to my question:

http://www.eclipse.net/~bobaloo/bloat.htm

samuri
    Free Member

Ours gets a third of a tin of food after her morning walk, then another third of a tin after her afternoon walk. She wolfs the lot down each time. Doesn’t get fat or skinny, must be spot on for her.

Pembo
    Free Member

Don’t give him tea one night, that will make him eat next morning. As said above dogs don’t eat regular times in the wild. You can even throw in the odd ‘starve’ day to make them eat when the food goes in the bowl.

lune
    Free Member

Our 13yr BC has been on Natural Instinct food (raw meat, veg & bone) for past couple of yrs, really works for her and a great number of her canine friends. She is fed a 1/3rd in morning after a morning walk then remaining 2/3rds after an evening walk. She was fed once a day PM for a lot of yrs however I think it’s as much to do with whats in their food.

As well as happier, more energetic dog the change in diet has benefit of them cra**ing smaller quantities and they also smell a lot less!

http://www.naturalinstinct.com/pages/Testimonials.html

BrickMan

Ours get fed morning and evening. Before/After humans, doesn’t really matter so long as they are well behaved.

One is on prescription/medicated dry food (old and sensitive stomach!), the other is half canned meat half mixer, and they love it.

Dogs will want to eat as much as they can, so the more you give them, the more they want it. Their weights go up and down very closely with regulating food and exercise (wish humans were as easy to loose weight).

highclimber
    Free Member

Our 13yr BC has been on Natural Instinct food (raw meat, veg & bone) for past couple of yrs, really works for her and a great number of her canine friends

Thanks for that but we’re pretty happy with the food he has. he’s on CSJ and it’s fantastic for him and wouldn’t want to start changing his diet.

Drac

Always fed my dogs once per after a few months old. Your dog will work on whatever routine you do. As far feeding it after you, load of crap it makes no odds.

flumewelck
    Free Member

I feed mine every 5 to 7 days I buy a bag of food and roll down the bag as she gets through it so its up to her when and how much she eats.

anagallis_arvensis

Dogs will want to eat as much as they can, so the more you give them, the more they want it. Thei

never owned a whippet or lurcher then!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Dogs will want to eat as much as they can, so the more you give them, the more they want it.

Ours spaniels have been fussy sods – amazing really considering their energy

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Our Boxer eats the following:

Breakfast: 2 weetabix, banana & youghurt
    Lunch: Carrot
    Tea: Mince or chicken or Tuna etc with mixed rice & mixed veg
    Supper: an apple.

If she doesnt get any of these things on time you know about it 😆

The vets always say how well we do controlling her weight compared to most people who have Boxers, and to be fair the diet must be doing her good as shes now 14 and still going strong.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Same with our dog, Benny (Tibetan Terrier possibly crossed with a spaniel of some description). Boundless energy, but funny with food. Correction: funny with his own food. We have to cycle through a couple of different brands of dog food (Purina, Royal Canin) because he’ll eagerly eat it for a few weeks, then will suddenly stop eating and look immensely disappointed whenever we put his dinner down. We just have to play hardball and let him know that he’s not going to get roast chicken on demand. A dog won’t let itself starve, and our vet said only to worry if he doesn’t show an interest in food for over three days.

We normally feed him half of his food in the morning, and half in the evening. Recently he’s been leaving his morning feed and eating it in the evening (we don’t give him his evening food until he’s had his breakfast), but yesterday discovered that Royal Canin Cocker 25 becomes DELICIOUS if you put warm water on it. I give it a week before he realises he’s been conned! 😛

We also put in a bit of chopped carrot now and again, as Benny has… er, gland issues….

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Once a day, food down for two or three hours, and then anything not eaten gets binned.

Never had a problem with this with any of our working dogs or kenneled hounds – however I’m aware there are a couple of breeds that are particuarly sensitive to gut torsions like greyhounds, where several smaller meals is better.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

My German pointer will eat til he bursts and isn’t too fussy what it is- a pan of uncooked rice the other day- was interesting the next day!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dog feed times and quantites’ is closed to new replies.