Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Doethie valley – is it open yet?
  • singletracksurfer

I know you could sneak past the closed sign, but just wondering if they’ve filled the ruddy great hole or anything.

Cheers.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s the bridleway that goes over to the Doethie from the farm buildings before you get to Soar Mynydd though you miss out the first couple of Km of the upper part of the valley. Last summer we just headed along the “closed” track – the hole was a long water riven slot in the centre of the track.

singletracksurfer

Thanks. Yeah I just went alongside it, just wondering they had or were doing anything to it.

They need to get Derbyshire council involved (as long as they don’t touch anything else), they love filling up trails.

Chew
    Free Member

The section has eroded more than before so at the bottom the crack is now 8 foot wide and 8 foot deep, with a deep gulley all the way up from the stream to the top. (This was about 2 weeks ago)

It’s passable if you’re pushing uphill from the stream, but you need to take extra care and I’d avoid in the rain due to the risk of further erotion. It would be very dangerous to head down from the top just pushing. Don’t even think of riding it.

If you want to ride follow the track from the Chappel South and climb the bridle way to the farm and go down from there. You’re not missing much my avoiding the first section.

rusty90
    Free Member

I thought that the guy at Nant Llywd was being ‘difficult’ about people using the bridleway through the farm? Has that been resolved now?

singletracksurfer

Thanks for the heads up, will do that (via the farm).

The first bit is probably still wet and muddy somehow even now anyway 😉

lardman
    Free Member

we’re planning to ride the Doethie on friday. Having not ridden there before, does this talk of closures and impassable bits mean we should avoid it?

It looks a great route and i’d love to ride there. We have an OS and some Gpx’s to guide us, but can anyone clear up exactly where on the route we might need to be careful/avoid if necessary.

We’re using this route…
    here

Many thanks.

whitestone
    Free Member

That route avoids the track under discussion by joining the valley further down – there’s the comments about the farmer at Nant Llwyd being awkward as well. It’s fairly obvious where to turn for this as it’s the first buildings you see on the left after you leave the forest.

singletracksurfer

Yep you’re avoiding it (the top part) with that route. Trouble we had last time was that it was so overgrown as the sheep (and cyclists) hadn’t been along it keeping it clear.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Doethie valley – is it open yet?’ is closed to new replies.