Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Doesn't anyone make F+R SPecific tyres anymore?
  • Padowan
    Free Member

As the title really?

I still have a WTB Velociraptor F+R combo on one of my bikes and was a firm follower of the Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo before that. Seems that everyone is making tyres that are uni-ended (albeit with perhaps a reversal of rotation)

In my opinion, the front and rear tyres need to do really rather different jobs a paddle type tread on the rear for laying down the power and more longitudinal knobs on the front to keep the front from washing out.

I wonder if the plethora of tyres available now and the corresponding debates over choice is partly because they're all being made to be work on both wheels, and as a result are in fact less than optimal in both cases.

So, without wanting to start another what-tyre thread, can someone suggest some F/R specific tyres that are available these days?

glenh
    Free Member

Smoke+Dart.

Dougal
    Free Member

Minion F+R.

I think most tyre geeks will mix and match tyres to get the best combo for specific conditions, especially true with those that run Maxxis tyres.

Most people don't worry about it too much though.

mattp
    Free Member

schwalbe "fat albert" front and rear specific at crc

mattp
    Free Member

glenh – Member

Smoke+Dart.

where from – they're always out of stock when i call people

AndyRT
    Free Member

2nd the Minion as a front, and I choose anything that will keep the traction on the rear.

Perhaps there is just too much cost involved with making FR combos and enough choice for it not to matter?

Scottlacey
    Free Member

bikedock still do them i think????

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ditto, there's enough choice to pick out a combination that suits the conditions.

My favourites on the main bike (all maxxis, all 62a):

Intermediate; HR 2.35 SPC kevlar front + rear
    Dry ish ; HR 2.35 SPC kevlar front + HR-SemiSlick 2.35 SPC steel rear
    Dry; HR 2.35 SPC kevlar front + Holly roller 2.4 rear

Wet: Swamp thing 2.1 f+r

XC:
    Wet : Specialized storm
    Dry : Coti explorer protction
    Race: Conti speed king supersonics

lunge

Front tyres don't just need longitudinal blocks though do they? Because not only do they need to stop the tyre washing out they also need to give a surface to brake against.

On the back you need a tyre that can handle power coming in and trying to spin the tyre along with braking forces in the opposite direction and sideways forces when you corner.

Front tyres don't have the power coming through but do generally have more braking forces.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mattp, pretty sure I saw some Smoke and Dart in stock in Stonehenge Cycles in Salisbury on Saturday. Worth giving them a call, perhaps!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Doesn't anyone make F+R SPecific tyres anymore?’ is closed to new replies.