Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Does tyre tread direction REALLY matter???
  • scottidog
    Free Member

I have been an idiot and tubeless'd my front wheel with the tyre on the wrong way compared to the rotational direction printed on the sidewall. It's full of sealant and bmx inner tube and I'd rather avoid the fath and mess of switching it back over.

So do you reckon it actually makes any perceptable difference? Else I'm going to have to go everywhere in reverse. It's a conti rubber queen if it makes any difference…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Only for tractor style treads IMO.

tinsy
    Free Member

Some more than other, might reduce your braking grip. Probably wouldnt ever have noticed if you hadnt spotted the arrow!!

BigJohn

I know High Rollers work best when they're mounted the wrong way.

My old Tioga Psycho IIs used to be one way for the front (extra braking ability) and the other for rear (extra traction).

StuF

I know my old Bontrager Jones used to feel like it was flat if it was on the wrong way

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

ive done the same with my Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph, they were really hard to mount until i accidently tried them the wrong way.

They seem ok and i can't be bothered to change them back round.

Solo
    Free Member

Some folk actually prefer certain tyres, when run in the reverse direction.

Ride it. If you find its an issue, then prepare to get faffin.
    Otherwise, forget it.

😉

Solo

njee20
    Free Member

they were really hard to mount until i accidently tried them the wrong way

What's the link there? Tyres aren't looser in one direction.

It'll likely be fine, I wouldn't worry unless it was a very 'directional' tread in the first place and/or you were using it in soft conditions where it's really going to bite in.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I accidentally did this on the front with an exiwolf. It was OK, not quite as good, but not lethal or anything. On the back you can be very hard pressed to tell IME.

convert

Njee, you are very literal aren't you! Is it literal, not sure if that's the right word. No offence meant, but you do miss the point some times! Aspergic?

To answer the question – not sure, I guess it depends on the tyre and to some extent if its on the front or back. I went for a night right in a mudfest with some trailrakers on I'd sorted in a hurry and put the rear one on the wrong way around. Zero traction. In the end I had to take it off in the dark in the middle of a muddy field and switch it around in order to make progress. I went from totally maxxed out effort wise and failing to keep up with my mate to miles ahead on half juice- night and day in terms of performance.

Ti29er
    Free Member

From experience this April / May, RR on the the wrong way makes a difference.
    Make sure they're pointing the correct way.

rkk01
    Free Member

Njee, you are very literal aren't you! Is it literal, not sure if that's the right word. No offence meant, but you do miss the point some times! Aspergic?

I've got to be honest – I don't see how it reads as anything other than literal…. If the tyre is easier to mount it can only be to do with the bead, surely??

br
    Free Member

Have a look at the tread on a Larsen, it certainly makes a difference.

Others will, and some won't.

But if the manufacturer believes it runs a certain way…

convert

It's catching….You try something a million times and struggle to get it on but then sods law says that the one time you accidentally get it the wrong way around it pops on no bother. Nothing to do with the tyre, it's just god screwing with your head!

cynic-al
    Free Member

they were really hard to mount until i accidently tried them the wrong way.

*echos above "WTF?" comments*

convert

Now from what I've read of Cynic-al's posts , there's definitely some aspergic tenancies there!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Nope, you've just oddly linked tyre direction to ease of mounting via "sheer luck" and people have asked WTF difference does it make. It doesnt make everyone else higher on thescale of aspergers, just means you've got an odd and illogical mind to link the two in the first place 🙂

convert

I didn't write the comment – I've just got an ability to comprehend and sense of irony/ ability to read between the lines – missing in many high on the aspergic scale! 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

ve just got an ability to comprehend and sense of irony!

Well I can quite comfortably say I've no idea how you came to anything other than the logical solution, so to me you're odd anyway 😀

convert

You must be one of them too – I'm so alone in the madhouse!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

i didn't link tyre direction with ease of mount because i didn't know there was a direction on the tyres.

It took me ages to get one on and it wasn't till i read about Schwalbe's tyre direction on a thread that i thought to look.

So sorry if i confused with my comment but it was sheer luck that it went on easier and coinsedence that it was the wrong direction.

nickc

High roller on the rear back to front is really grippy but massively draggy.

scottidog
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips guys, guess I'll just suck it and see.

ps I knew what you meant Mosey!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Does tyre tread direction REALLY matter???’ is closed to new replies.