Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Does this look right? (Rotor IS adapter clearance)
  • hooch1987
    Free Member

So have picked up a new frame and since noticed that the rear rotor rubs on the adapter, taken back to bike shop and they have faced the tab apparently. Start setting up the brake today and it is rubbing again… Reset the wheel and the picture below shows the clearance, worse part is that I can’t really get the rotor to run parallel between the pads. So am I being too picky, the bike needs facing a bit more, or is this a manufacturing issue… Any help appreciated.

hooch1987
    Free Member

Image works when opened in new tab, sorry first time attempting to load a image.

stevied
    Free Member

No, that doesn’t look right at all 😯

Something is out with either the adjacent or the hypotenuse..

scotroutes

greyspoke
    Free Member

Have you got the adapter the right way up? Or to put it another way, does it look better the other way up? If it is an IS to IS adapter there is only one way up, but I have been caught out by IS to post mount adapters in this way.

Yak

Brake mounts on the frame seem a long way off parallel with the rotor.
    But they’ve been faced? Doesn’t look like it. You could take a lot more material off the top one and it still wouldn’t be right.

hooch1987
    Free Member

It is a IS to post fitted correctly I think, wouldn’t fit the other way is it touches the seat stay. Had a look and it seems they took a bit of paint of when facing, not much material. Worry to get it level you would have to take off quite a bit of the tab itself.

Daffy

Is the wheel fully in the dropouts and even at both sides? If the wheel is twisted or higher on the DS, it might cause this.

Yak

Well you could face it up until the top* mount had no material left to be still proud, and then remove as much material as needed from the adaptor, but this seems to a remedying something that should be straight in the first place.
    *top as in the top one for the way the photo is orientated. It’s the lower/most forward one and should have the ‘up’ bit of the adaptor on it.

scotroutes

What’s the frame?

D0NK

is it new? I’d be sending that back.
    I got a second hand frame that was a little out, not as bad as that, probably would have been fine with an is->post mount adapter as u get a little leeway, but I was using IS brakes, spaced it out with…erm…spacers, (extra spacers on one of the tabs) and it worked fine.

hooch1987
    Free Member

Yup wheel correctly mounted, had an issue with this when first building it up as there seemed to be quite a bit of paint in the drop outs, stopped the wheel going in easily.

bigyinn
    Free Member

From the look of it, those are horizontal dropouts, there shoudln’t be any difference up / down.
    When the wheel is rotated does the gap between the rotor and top mount bolt stay as it looks in the pic?
    Based on the pic it looks like the brake mount isn’t vertical on the frame. You can probably shim / face it so its vertical, but you shouldn’t need to do that much!

hooch1987
    Free Member

Yup brand new sadly.

D0NK

Yup brand new sadly.

hope they got a decent returns policy then. I bought a frame from crc, took 3 goes to get it right (one severely wonky dropout, 1 wonky BB) PITA but got there eventually.

hooch1987
    Free Member

Mm looking like a return then, well that’s a waste of labour costs and cabling oh well… Thanks guys!

greyspoke
    Free Member

I could still be wrong way up, the adapter may have been designed for brake tabs in the old-fashioned behind-the-seat-stay position, where there is more freedom from frame fouling. Another make of adapter may happen to fit within the constraints of that frame.

andyg1966

Return may be tricky now that a 3rd party has faced the mount.

hooch1987
    Free Member

Bike shop that I purchased the frame through faced it thankfully, so should be okay right… Tried with a Shimano adapter as well, seems the whole tab is at an angle.

beagle
    Free Member

Brother?

tjagain

The dropout / brake mount is obviously not vertical. The frame is faulty. Return to the shop for replacement or refund and do not be put off by any ” we have to return it to the manufacturer” nonsense

otsdr
    Free Member

There isn’t anything to face here, other than maybe scraping the excess paint. This is a sheet metal dropout, it should be straight and parallel to the disc; if it is not, the frame should be returned.

ajantom

Bike shop that I purchased the frame through faced it thankfully, so should be okay right… Tried with a Shimano adapter as well, seems the whole tab is at an angle.

And they didn’t think to check that it worked after facing? Numpties!

That’s so obviously on the wonk it’s silly, The dropout and mount should be parallel to the disc. Someone in the shop was having a friday moment by letting that get back to you.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I can’t see how the shop used a facing tool properly and ended up with it wrong. Either the adapter is causing the wonk by being the wrong way round (difficult to see form that pic) or the brake tab faces are massively not an equal distance from the inside of the dropout. This would have been clear when trying to use the facing tool, never mind doing a try-out fitting.

It could still work if the frame is off, the tool will cut a recess in the area around the outer hole which is probably large enough to accommodate the matching part of the adapter. Whether the OP would consider that acceptable is another matter.

tjagain

the mounts are parallel to the dropout and skewed to the wheel position hence the tool would not fix the issue

Onzadog
    Free Member

Take the wheel out, turn the axle 90° and try again. Then again, then again.

See if the error changes at all. I once had a hub with eccentric axle.

greyspoke
    Free Member

the mounts are parallel to the dropout and skewed to the wheel position hence the tool would not fix the issue

The tool lines the inner faces of the mount up so they are in a plane at right angles to the axle line and an equal distance from the inner face of the dropout. If the sheet of metal the dropout is made of is not quite at right angles to the axle line, the tool will detect that.

http://www.parktool.com/product/disc-brake-mount-facing-set-dt-5-2?category=Brakes#tabbed-section

Stuart
    Free Member

Have you definitely got the correct hub width in? Stays may be splayed out making it look crooked?

andyl
    Free Member

that is most definitely rubbish.

Only thing it could be is the hub too wide as above or the frame is made wrong

otsdr
    Free Member

QR rear disc hubs only come in 135mm, unless you count fat/tandem.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pic is taken from underneath the nds dropout (seems no one has noticed).

In any event it’s so far out its laughable.

Send.

It.

Back.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

QR rear disc hubs only come in 135mm, unless you count fat/tandem.

The first disk braked road bikes were 130mm. But yes I doubt it’s that.

hooch1987
    Free Member

Brothers have emailed and they are discussing with the dealer what’s next. Was a Kepler disc for the record.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Does this look right? (Rotor IS adapter clearance)’ is closed to new replies.