Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Does this exist? Press fit bottom bracket question
  • iamtheresurrection

I’ve got a Day One 853 SS frame with a press fit bottom bracket I’d finally like to build up with spares including some XTR cranks. I don’t think chain line will be an issue, but can you buy a ‘spaced out’ press fit bottom bracket to effectively convert from a 68mm shell to 73 (or 86 to 92 if that’s press fit equivalent, I don’t remember)…

Thanks

Craig

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Hope’s does both width options so I guess you could use the extra spacers included to make the cups further apart, I think that’s what you’re getting at?

iamtheresurrection

That’s exactly what I mean, thanks. Do the spacers sit on the bottom bracket cups forcing the bearing further apart, or between the bearings and the crank arms?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

you’ve got me thinking now, pretty sure it’s between frame and cup. I’m think there’s an exploded diagram on Hope’s website.

lerk
    Free Member

It is between frame and cup…

sillyoldman

Wheels Mfg do spacer kits in bags of 10x 0.5mm or 1.0mm for 24mm axle chain sets. They also do good BB86/92 BBs.

Fitting the spacers between the cranks and the BB rather than between BB and frame will maximise the overlap between cup and frame, so should be a more solid, and quieter set up.

iamtheresurrection

Awesome. Why didn’t I think of Wheels Mftg? Might consider the Hope option too…

Thanks everybody. Isn’t this forum awesome 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Does this exist? Press fit bottom bracket question’ is closed to new replies.