Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Does this bike shoe exist?
  • DavidB
    Free Member

A shoe that is SPD compatible but you would happily climb a large mountain with carrying your CX bike?

peteimpreza

Specialized Rime?

mrmo
    Free Member

why can’t you use normal spd shoes?

climbed some really stupid routes round verbier in Dominators.

DavidB
    Free Member

Probably could mrmo but this trip will involve three big mountain hikes so something a bit more suitable might be warranted

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How big a hike?

DavidB
    Free Member

Those Rimes look the ticket and Vibram soled as well. Ta!

DavidB
    Free Member

CFH, Snowdon, Scafell, Ben Nevis

lunge

What about the Shimani winter boot? Looks like a hiking boot at least.

matt_outandabout

Carry a light pair of trainers with you

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmm, see my other thread re Rimes.

While I really like the look of the (colour aside), I’m not 100% sure they’d be up to a three peaks. Does it have to be a clipless shoe?

The Rimes are great, and I reckon that forefoot flex would be ace as an all day shoe, but as a proper hike up a proper hill shoe? Not sure.

Scott used to do a similar shoe, worth a look there as well.

I’d go for a good approach/walking shoe and carry some bike shoes strapped on my bag, I reckon.

Nick

Shimano MT91 are superb for this sort of thing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That looks ideal, Nick.

Nick

Pretty much my go to riding shoe, but fantastic for bikepacking trips that invariably seem to involve dragging a laden bike across the Cambrian mountains.

“Only” £104 on chain reaction, go up a size and consider changing the footbed for a Specialized BG one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Insoles – Superfeet FTW! Unless you have yours custom made, natch, 😉

jota180
    Free Member

cannondale have done some decent shoes for that sort of usage

DavidB
    Free Member

some bike shoes strapped on my bag

Not an option, I’ve done this before and it is a major pita

MT91’s look good though

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’re walking up the hills anyway, why not just buy some 5.10’s and flat pedals?

DavidB
    Free Member

5.10’s and flat pedals

470 miles of road riding in between preclude this

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve climbed Ben Nevis, Ben Lomond, Snowdon, Carn Ban Mor, in fact, almost every mountain I’ve ever been up till I got AM45s in January in these. I also used them daily to commute on the road bike for 9 months. In fact, I always use them on the road bike because they’ve a carbon sole and my old road shoes don’t.

You can get up mountains just fine in them and they’ll be a lot more pleasant for the road ride, which will take up the bulk of your time, than something big and heavy like those Shimano boots up there.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano-m183n-spd-item187407.html

xanboy
    Free Member

Also look at the Shimano MT71, vibram sole, goretex lined. I’ve just come back from a wet week in the lakes and they kept my feet warm, dry and were great for walking owet slippery rocks.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/mt71-2011-mountain-trekking-shoe-ec025519

swamp_boy

+1 for MT91s, cleat is recessed in the sole, so its out of the way for walking. They are narrow though, I’m normally 44 and need a 46 in them to be comfortable.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Does this bike shoe exist?’ is closed to new replies.