Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • does the strava app give different results on different phones?
  • ron70
    Free Member

Me and a friend both use the strava app while riding, at the end of the ride, we both have totally different times, he always has a faster times on the descents which is strange as I’m faster than him and he admits this but finds it amusing as I’m frustrated by it! 😆 I’m not that competitive as I’m shit anyway on the downs but more curious as to how this can happen, he has a Sony Xperia and I have a HTC one, could different phones give different times?

clubber
    Free Member

Yes. I have ridden with phone and proper gps and even two different phones and always get very different results. Strava isn’t particularly accurate, certainly not within 10s.

scaredypants

Depends on how often the phone takes a reading, how accurate the readings are (tree cover makes my road bike about 5-10% slower initially until the next bit of clear sky), how stylishly you ride (strava adds 5 seconds for every shit line) etc

deadkenny
    Free Member

Very much. Phone GPS chips vary & the materials in the case affect things. Some phones have barometers too (not many) which give you more accurate altitude, though Strava corrects this online, eventually.

Most phones these days have Assisted GPS also which uses the network to get a quicker lock (basically downloads a list of where the satellites are, which otherwise takes a long time just via GPS). Doesn’t affect the positioning directly, but can affect the position at the start of a ride if you have no phone signal and it hasn’t locked on yet.

Not to go too technical, but GPS chips in phones often have and in built filter for low speeds to filter out fluctuations. This is done to improve accuracy for driving navigation, but makes tracking when walking and cycling a bit poor. This is separate from any auto-pause feature that GPS apps use, though Strava doesn’t use auto-pause itself (but is screwed up by people using other apps to track or a Garmin and have the pause turned on).

Sampling of the GPS signal can be out of sync with your riding buddies also, and yes tree cover and all kinds of things can make the two not equal. I frequently get segments matched that a friend doesn’t and vice versa, or I get random spikes at times. Though I use my old Nokia phone to track using Endomondo (auto-pause disabled) and upload the GPX to Strava, as my regular Galaxy S2 phone is very rubbish at GPS, and the Strava app produces big errors in the track. Not to mention rubbish battery life.

I’ll get round to getting a Garmin at some point though. One day.

rickt
    Free Member

I was having issues with my HTC missing out segments due to the poor GPS chip in it, so at one point in the summer i was running with HTC and a Iphone 3gs (no sim) both logging the route.

Both phones picked up different segments as well as the main core ones, and the times were different upto 1 minute for some short segments even.

The overall distance was around half a mile within each over a 20 mile route.

I have come to the conclusion Strava via a mobile is only a guide only.

I turned Strava on last night in the pub (can’t ride at the mo, but met mates post ride) and recorded a ride for 1 second – I didn’t move but recorded a 200yd ride at 53mph.

Take from that what you will!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

even two garmins side by side on the bars will give different results

jam-bo

Take from that what you will!

You have no idea how GPS works?

No, I have no idea at all jam bo.

FFS!

jam-bo

No, I have no idea at all jam bo.
    FFS!

Then you’d know why running it inside will give crap results…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

stop being a bell end jam bo

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘does the strava app give different results on different phones?’ is closed to new replies.