Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Does the speed of rebound depend on your weight?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just wonered really, thats all. If you are light do you need to riun rebound slower?

flow
    Free Member

Kind of.

If you are light you will run less PSI, therefore you will need to run less rebound.

I think thats right anyhow.

GW
    Free Member

rebound speed is entirely down to personal preference.
    and never blindly go with what Flow suggests about suspension

craigxxl
    Free Member

I thought it was the heavier the faster the rebound required as it’s fighting your weight to return. That’s the way I set up and it seems to work for me.
    Trial and error, start in the middle and run the same bit of track and change it one click at time until feels right so that it’s not kicking back at you or not returning fast enough that you’ve less travel when you get the next bump. You will still find that you have a range of different rebounds depending on the terrain and speed.

seosamh77
    Free Member

being a fat b****** I turn mine up to full.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rebound speed will be the same.But to achieve it fatties have to use more.
    Set your fork up soft and set the rebound how you like it.
    Now double the air presure and your rebound has remarkably got ‘faster’!

anto164
    Free Member

tbh, it’s the air pressure (or spring weight) that is the extending force. If you’re heavier you run a higher pressure.

If you set the rebound adjuster at half open, the speed of the oil rushing through the rebound valve will differ with different pressures, therefore needing to adjust the rebound to slow or speed up the oil flow to match the spring force.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes the rebound tune (in a custom tune)will be greater or will need a slower rebound setting for a heavier due to the greater air pressure or spring rate which will try and extend the shock with more force than a lower pressure/spring rate hence the rebound needs to be set on a ‘slower/greater’ setting to achieve the same speed.
    Your shock had the rebound adjusted as part of the retune as well Cruz 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

it was slow as ****!

LoCo
    Free Member

well I did say set it once on the bike once the sag was set, depends what you class as ‘slow’ as well.

If you’re not happy or have any queries as I said feel free to mail me or send the shock back for an inspection/adjustment

cynic-al
    Free Member

flow’s forgotten more about bikes than I know.

flow
    Free Member

flow’s forgotten more about bikes than I know.

What I said was correct no?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

its fine si – lol. Only moved it 2 clicks faster 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

😀

LoCo
    Free Member

Have given up smoking recently and a touch edgy 😯 👿 😀

if the previous post came across as a bit sharp 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i am just trying to understand the black magic that is suspension, was acyually aimed at forks not rear shocks.

LoCo
    Free Member

Same way that rear shocks have a ‘Joe average’ tune average weight, riding etc
    So the forks will be set for an ‘average rider’, if the previous own of the bike had had the forks tuned they’d be like the rear shock was too much compression and rebound.
    Again ‘most’ are tunable one way or another.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh I don’t understand all that. Still can’t get me head round the ‘Dual Air’ system in me Rebas. 😳 I just fiddle with it until it feels ‘right’.

So, lighter folk = slower rebound then?

I’ll try it out see how it goes…

adeward
    Free Member

Low speed compression damping may be more important than rebound for heavier riders , think trying to control rider through bomb hole etc

alaric

Ignoring personal preference (which is of course a large factor), the target rebound speed will be the same regardless of rider weight.

However, if the fork/shock is set up correctly for rider weight, a fork for a heavier rider will have a higher spring rate and require more rebound damping to achieve the same rebound speed as that for a smaller rider…

HTH (and makes sense…)

kaiser
    Free Member

probably been posted before but with settings I have seen a suggestion that you try the 2 extremes and choose the one of the 2 you prefer then try it again compared to a half way point. once again choose which you prefer and do it again and again until you meet a fixed setting.
    well done to anyone who understands what I’m trying to say!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Does the speed of rebound depend on your weight?’ is closed to new replies.