Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • does the road bike world have new silly standards every 5 minutes ?
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

just wondered really as I think mountainbiking is getting stupid now !

eddie11
    Free Member

To a degree. But thinking about it it tends to come from the American mountain bike brands. Road bikes the obsession is vertical compliance, tapered headtubes, aero and light, and now internal cable routing and electric gears. The hornets nest of disc brakes could change it all though…

Conan257
    Free Member

Stop calling them standards, and start calling it progression.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

tapered head tubes progression?

tonyg2003

My tapered head tube Ridley (1-1/8 to 1-1/2) must be six years old now. So not exactly changing every five mins. Fabulously direct for cornering too.

damo2576
    Free Member

Fabulously direct for cornering too.

?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

was that team GBs problem then – skinny head tubes and forks?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Stop calling them standards, and start calling it marketing

FIFY

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stop calling them standards, and start calling it people having ideas and not talking to each other

FIFY

Not everything new is bad

bencooper
    Free Member

Not everything new is bad

No. But a lot of the new stuff is fixing a problem that was only a problem for a tiny minority of people. Square-taper bottom brackets were fine for almost everyone, it was only a few who needed the extra strength of splined and external bearing systems, but that lot has been foisted on everyone and now instead of one standard we’ve got dozens, many of which won’t even work on the same frame.

Marketing does have an awful lot to do with it – Shimano must have regretted making UN-52 bottom brackets so reliable.

oldgit
    Free Member

No. But a lot of the new stuff is fixing a problem that was only a problem for a tiny minority of people.

I’ve been very tempted to take my old six speed steel race bike bike to my regular crit races. I almost always finish in the same place, so in theory I should finish a long way back on it?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

No. But a lot of the new stuff is fixing a problem that was only a problem for a tiny minority of people.

and a lot of new stuff is not fixing anything – it is just a new feature that can be marketed, giving people a reason to change.

Golf is one of the worst for this, because people are always looking for an easy fix to their slice, or inability to chip/putt, etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘does the road bike world have new silly standards every 5 minutes ?’ is closed to new replies.