Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Does the "fridge trick" work ok on Hope Evo rear hubs to change bearings?
  • Poopscoop

You know the one, cool/freeze bearings in sandwich bag in freezer, warm hub with hair dryer.

I used such a method on an OEM hub many moons ago but does it work on on the Hope Evo hubs?

I know it should in principal, but in principal can turn out to be a nightmare in the real world!

Thanks for the help as always guys.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Can’t see why not although I’ve never had to try. My Evo’s are only 5 yrs old. 8)

There again, If you’ve got them out, what’s the problem getting them back in?

Poopscoop

Not got them out as yet. Planning ahead…

Pretty confident I can remove them with some improvised drifts. Want to be a bit gentler putting new ones back in though. lol

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pretty confident I can remove them with some improvised drifts. Want to be a bit gentler putting new ones back in though. lol

You’ll be fine getting them out with a good drift & some support. Then ‘simply’ bash them back in using a big hammer & the right sized socket. 😆

Cool the bearings & warm the hub up to make it easier if you like though.

Poopscoop

Great, last question, any idea of socket sizes I need as drifts?

I realise the OD of the socket may be different according to brand, but just want a starting point, cheers again.

warpcow
    Free Member

About 24mm iirc (same size as rockshox damper topcaps).

Poopscoop

Thats handy, just ordered a 24mm to service some Revelations.

Cheers for info!

digga
    Free Member

Never needed to chill bearings when I’ve swapped them – brute force, ignorance and a healthy supply of profanities usually suffice – but it is sound engineering practice to do this.

I know on larger steel bushings on earthmoving equipment, OEM assembly lines will use liquid nitrogen (WARNING!: do not drink, even when mixed with Red Bull or Monster).

edhornby

why not use the old bearings and some threaded bar with washers to push the new ones in? this has worked ok for me (actually thinking about it, I used a QR skewer)

jamcorse

I’ve changed all bearings on both my sets, whacking the old ones out with the axle and I had an appropriate diameter drift turned on a lathe to get them back in. you need an outer diameter of 30mm and it works for both front and back. Didn’t need to drink any liquid nitrogen but a little bit of grease helped them back in smoothly.

Poopscoop

Hmmm…. good point, might give that a try too, cheers.

onehundredthidiot

I found it cheaper to just buy the drifts from HOPE.Used a block of wood with a big hole drilled in it to support the backside and allow somewhere for the bearing to drop into.

Poopscoop

Agree, the right tool for the job is the best option definitely.

As usual, trying to save a bit of money is all. Particularly post Christmas.

If I try the nitrogen route I’ll be sure to take pics! (that’s a joke, I wont be trying the nitrogen. Sounds like an interesting method though!)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Does the "fridge trick" work ok on Hope Evo rear hubs to change bearings?’ is closed to new replies.