Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Does Sky Go work with Chromecast?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

We have access to Sky Go – any idea if it work with a Chromecast via either a Mac or iPad?

grum
    Free Member

There’s an app called AirParrot that lets you mirror the screen of your Mac to Apple TV (I think newer Macs than mine might be able to do this anyway). I imagine that would work with Sky Go. Not sure about Chromecast. Sky Go disabled Airplay mirroring on the iPad app.

AirParrot is a little jerky with my laptop though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Newer Macs can do that anyway with airplay screen mirroring, though bizarrely doesn’t seem to be allowed from iOS devices.

Provided you run sky go within the chrome browser I can’t see why chrome cast wouldn’t work, not tried it though.

somouk
    Free Member

Just tried it from my IOS device and it wouldn’t pick it up.

You could use it in the chrome browser and send that over to the chromecast I suppose.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@grum – yes Mavericks supports full screen mirroring with Apple TV although not all the Macs that will run Mavericks can do the mirroring as there are min hardware requirements (eg my 2009 Mini will not, 2010 MacBook Pro will). We’ve used it a bit and it works with the sound too which is cool (obvious perhaps but I wasn’t certain)

As @mrblobby says Chromecast is supposed to mirror anything in a Chrome window – so that implies it should work via Chrome on a Mac. For £30 it seems worth a try !

mrblobby
    Free Member

I don’t really understand why they have these stupid restrictions in iOS. I can maybe see why a content provider like Sky might not want you to be able to airplay their content onto Apple TV, but then when it’s easy to do from a Mac or a PC with Airplay/AirParrot or Chromecast mirroring then really why bother restricting it? Just annoying.

jfletch
    Free Member

I don’t really understand why they have these stupid restrictions in iOS.

The same reasons content owners seem to drive silly restrictions in life as well.

It’s likely that the content owners said to Sky they can show it online as long as its not on a tele. That’s easy to do on iOS so they do. Harder on the internet.

You could easily subsitute the specifics in your post to other stupid DRM restrictions elsewhere.

mrblobby
    Free Member

You could easily subsitute the specifics in your post to other stupid DRM restrictions elsewhere.

Very true 😐

thehustler
    Free Member

the whole idea of sky go is for a sky account holder to be able to watch content whilst on the move, its not supposed to be streamed to other large tv’s so multiple users can ‘share’ an account (not in anyway saying this is what you are trying to do)

mrblobby
    Free Member

the whole idea of sky go is for a sky account holder to be able to watch content whilst on the move, its not supposed to be streamed to other large tv’s so multiple users can ‘share’ an account (not in anyway saying this is what you are trying to do)

In that case, why not just restrict it to mobile devices?

thehustler
    Free Member

In that case, why not just restrict it to mobile devices?

If you check the website it is supposed to be, phones tablets and laptop
    pc’s, however some people have managed ‘workarounds’.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Does Sky Go work with Chromecast?’ is closed to new replies.