Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Does My Bike Look Too Small?
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

It’s a large 2016 Stumpy (650B), but it feels a little small for me. I’m 6’2″ with a 33 inch inside leg (longish reach too).

I’m considering a frame swap and selling the Stumpy frame on to partly fund it later on in the year. I do have my eye on a Bird Aries, possibly a few others too.

What sort of sizes from different brands am I looking at? I’m thinking an XL Bird would suit me, but it’s nearly a 4 hour drive just to go see one!

https://www.rootsandrain.com/rider95859/john-whittle/photos/

Link from yesterday’s PMBA. To me it looks like a full sus BMX!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

At our height, most bikes “look” too small

pickle
    Free Member

Hard to tell from most of the pics as they’re mainly front on but looks fine to me. How did if feel and ride? looked like you had a cracking day 🙂

br
    Free Member

Probably better to post up a side on picture of your bike, and one with you on it.

Usual giveaways are:
    – seat back on rails
    – long stem
    – bars turn forwards
    etc

Do you catch the shifters with you knees when pedalling slowly and turning the bars?

FWIW I’m you height but with longer legs and even with a 20″ frame I’ve still 2″ of seatpost spare with a 150mm Reverb.

pickle
    Free Member

I’m the same size as well and always go for a medium frame (18″) but then i like em a tad small and flick able.

nickdavies

I’m 6’2 with an inch less in the leg than you and my large stumpy was too small. Used to give me really bad back pain. Now from riding a much longer bike I really notice smaller sizes, my weight is always miles off where it should be, I don’t get this whole ‘small and flickable’ thing. Just feels wrong to me.

Doesn’t look too bad on you but demo the xl version – spesh are pretty good at demos if you go direct so you can compare like for like?

devash
    Free Member

“Does my bike look too small?” is a very different question to “Does my bike feel too small?”

As you’ve already admitted it feels a little small for you then I’d get hold of an XL to demo and see how you get on. It doesn’t really matter what it looks like, only how it feels for you.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies all. I do get a bit of upper neck/back pain after a longer ride with it.

My setup at the moment is a 780mm bar with a 50mm stem and I’ve experimented with the seat positioning. I’ve just took a pic of the bike with the seat post up. I’ll have to wait for the missus to get home to take a pic with me side-on.

It was a great day to be honest! Looking forward to the Lee/Cragg Quarry round.

With my crank parallel to the floor, my closest knee is about 5 inch away from the bar (without turning). I’d have to try a larger bike to see if it feels better.

fanatic278
    Free Member

On a purely aesthetic point, that look fine to me. I’m 6’2″ and on XL frames, but my legs are long. I max out with the full 400 mm of seatpost on most bikes. Aesthetically it looks rubbish

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve made slight adjustments to the bars and stem height. I’ll see how I get on until I’m ready to swap.

Thanks for all your input guys, I’ll try and sit on a few before I buy again 🙂

northshoreniall

Sure it’s not just far away?

kudos100
    Free Member

I had a large stumpy with a 50mm which was too small. I now have an xl bird aeris with a 35mm stem, which is
    great.

The difference in reach is about 25mm or so, with the shorter stem on the bird.

I’m 6’3 with long arms and legs.

garage-dweller

I’m 5’10 and ride a large Camber but I’m all body no legs and I’m at the bottom end of proper fit for that size. I would guess you’re at the upper limit for a large but without seeing you on it etc.

johnw1984
    Free Member

northshoreniall 🙂

That’s interesting to know Kudos100. I wonder if I would be the same? I’d have to try one out when it comes to doing the swap.

Definitely won’t buy blind again. Was my first decent bike, so got excited and just tried to guess sizing. Live and learn 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

“Does my bike look too small?” is a very different question to “Does my bike feel too small?”

I bet the answer is yes to both really. I think he looks way too upright anyway.

I thought my old bike was OK but had a go on one which was exactly the same size recently and found it scarily short – really had trouble riding it.

If you’re looking for new and frame only, the Bird may be the best option available in an XL.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Chakaping, that’s exactly what I was thinking. I look too upright and “top heavy” on the bike. I try to make a conscious effort to get lower.

Think I’ve pretty much decided on a Bird. Just need the funds now!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Does My Bike Look Too Small?’ is closed to new replies.