Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Does fitting an extra shed lock make it more likely to get broken in to?
  • sparkyspice
    Free Member

I figure that if people want to take a peek and nick the contents, then they will. There are no windows on this shed so perhaps an extra lock will make it look like there’s definitely something in there worth breaking in for…
    In reality there’s only a lawn mower and some basic garden tools etc in there, but I’d rather not have the door busted just because someone’s curious.

Any thoughts?

GrahamS

Add locks that are inconspicuous from the outside?
    Also reinforce the door from behind and add hinge bolts.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Leave a sign saying “no tools left in here overnight” apparently that does the trick.

Would-be thieves don’t like wasting their time so appreciate useful tips from honest folk they can trust.

GrahamS

And get it smudged out on Streetview. That’ll fox them.

jim25

I once knew a shed burglar who said he only ever would look in sheds with locks on!

thegreatape
    Free Member

It depends on the thief. The ones that want to be in and out ASAP might look elsewhere. The ones after the good stuff may be drawn to it. Sorry.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I used to have one lock on my shed and had it broken into twice. For the last 6 years it’s had 3 locks on it and hasn’t been touched. Personally I don’t think you can read too much into that but I’d rather make it more difficult to get into than not.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is your shed at the front of your house?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just buy a garden shark otherwise known as an Alsatian.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Is your shed at the front of your house?

Nope, it’s in the back garden which has no direct access route other than through the house or through a neighbours garden and over the fence. At the same time that i fitted the extra locks I also added an extra two foot of trellis on to the existing fence.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was meaning the OP, unless the thief is conducting a lot of surveillance and possibly using drones to check out the area how will they know how many locks you have?

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I’m in exactly the same situation as MuppetWrangler, with 6ft fences all round. However when it got broken in to last month the thrives must’ve been over the fence at least 3 times… Everyone in the house uses the shed, (chicken/fish food every day) etc so if I make it like Fort Knox, the kids won’t lock it up again , or the chickens will starve! I also don’t trust the kids with an alarm at 06:30 in the morning. I’m thinking a Yale keypad lock is the way forward for £50.

Kryton57

Lock it, light it up alarm it. Beyond that if they want it they’ll find a way, so insure it as well if you want to replace your loss.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if your sheds that far out of sight then they have a fair idea of what you have and what they want before they are coming in to look tbh.

a couple of extra locks wont make a difference unless you have a brick shed (or a wooden one that i built) then the average garden spade will let you remove a wall/cladding with fair ease and minimal noise – too many pins used in the construction of yer average shed – not enough nails/screws and bolts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Does fitting an extra shed lock make it more likely to get broken in to?’ is closed to new replies.