• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mmel.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Does anyone use a spesh Purgatory tyre?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

How do you rate it?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve got one on the front of my FS and really like it for all round riding.

Fast enough and the side knobs give loads if grip on off camber & loose stuff too

rob-jackson
    Free Member

What about rear tyre – what have you paired it up with?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Got a pair on my 29er as a sort of autumn/winter/spring tyre, bigger and wider spaced nobbles than the Eskar, and a slightly harder compound means rolling is about the same on both, the Eskar’s better in they dry (by an appreciable margin) but the Purgatory’s adequate and still works in the mud unlike the Eskar which gets very slippery.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

so which is best?

stumpy01

Got a Purgatory on the front of my FSR & originally had a Captain on the back.
    Swapped that for a Sauserwind after nicking the sidewall of the Captain.

The Captain & the Sauserwind both work well on the back, not much to choose between them, although I think the Sauserwind just edges it; seems to find a bit more grip on slippy climbs, I think.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive got one on the front of my Covet. Swopped the High Roller for it. Gives me more confidence when cornering. I didnt like the square profile of the High Roller.

Cheezpleez

Fairly big, fairly chunky, good grip. Got one on the back. I’m sure it would be good on the front too. I rate it as an all-rounder, riding in the Surrey hills

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

so which is best?

Depends on the weather/ground.

They’re both good on an average day on an average trail, the eskars better in the dry, the purgatorys better if it’s any wetter. the Eskars live on the FS, the purgatorys on the SS for that reason.

jameso

I really like them, £25 for a TLR dual compound that works well in wet / mixed conditions. Very predictable + quick-clearing in the mud and better all-round than a mud-specific.

I use the F+R in the winter / wet clag (like now..) or with an Ardent 2.25 on the back if it’s not so wet. Had 2 small flint-cut flats in 3 weeks now though, to be expected with a thinner TLR casing rather than full UST and considering the mileage they’ve done in flinty trails, nothing worrying. Just odd to have 2 so close together after no more than 4 or 5 in many years.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Purgatory 2Bliss was good on the front of my XC hardtail. Running tubeless on Crests.
    Sidewalls are thin though and mine suffered an irreparable cut within a few months. Shame, ‘cos I was quite keen on the Purgatory, nice big volume.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Yep – one on the front of a 29er HT on bonty tlr rims (measures 56mm wide, exactly what is printed on the side) also running Eskar front, Purg rear on a Soul – prefer the Purgatory

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Ran one on the front of my Epic last year and really rated it – haven’t got round to taking the winter Mud Xs off yet this year though! One comment is that they are big and I often got stones catching on the arch of my Rebas.

Great value too I think for a tubeless tyre.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

2 for £40 on bike plus

frepster
    Free Member

I just switched to a purgatory from a High Roller on the front of my HT a few weeks ago. I have been quite impressed so far, they certainly have lots of cornering and braking traction and hold on really well even when fully leant over. Not as good as a HR in looser conditions and on off camber rooty stuff though, they have sketched out on me a couple of times but generally i am impressed with them.

schnor
    Free Member

Run one on the front of my HT. They’re great tyres, some people run them on the back but personally I prefer up front (with an advantage out back).

On my FS I used to use eskars but now am really happy with bontrager FR4’s F&R.

In the US you can get 2.4 purgs, I’d love to try them but they can’t be imported 🙁

ocrider

+1 for the Purg-love on this thread.

2bliss 29ers, no biggies as yet (4 months)
    Nice choice for us one set of tyres people.

mmel
    Free Member

My HT has a Purgatory on the front and a Captain on the back running the wrong way round. I use them year round with tubes and have not had a flat since! Mostly riding rocky Peak District and North Wales trails with 30psi in the Purg and 35-40psi in the rear. Works well for me!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone use a spesh Purgatory tyre?’ is closed to new replies.