Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Does anyone still ride 'Old School' XC mountain biking?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only if there is something worth riding to at the end…
    If I want to ride at a pace and cover ground then I’ll get the road bike out. After that I’m not a fan of being on the MTB when there is a chance of falling asleep due to boredom.
    My memories of being out on the old HT in the 00’s was at the end of some rides wondering what the point was except for covering distance, the interesting bits never arrived and then 4hrs later you were back at the start wet/muddy/knackered.

kayla1
    Free Member

We had a ride bimble up to Whitburn for something for our tea yesterday (tuna steaks, as it turns out) via NCN1 and the sea front, I was on my BFe and OH was on his Meta 4X. Neither are ‘XC’ bikes but we bimbled out via a bit of XC, some road and I think there was some gravel on bits of the route as well- should we start another niche or can we just ride our bikes?

Creg

When I finally have the cash together to afford a new bike (something marathon XC based) its what I’ll be doing, especially as I’m very much a wheels on the ground type of rider.

I live on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors and recently acquired a guidebook to go with my OS Map so have been plotting a lot of rides/adventures around the area.

DrP

Yeah..I ride everything I do..
    -XC loops (recently have been really enjoying just riding 20-30 miles around the South Downs in the balmy summer evenings!)
    -DH/Enduro ‘trails’ – as in..jsut riding several technical sections down the side of some local hills
    -CX – a bit like the XC loops, but backwards (chuckle…nah, gravel bike routes round here are plenty)
    -and…a bit of road..

‘sjust bikes innit..

DrP

core

I need to stop coming on here, and reading bike media in general.

Most of my riding is general ‘mountain biking’ – bit of road, some bridleways, some wood singletrack, some fire road, some green lanes, some hils/moorland.

I also go to trail centres occasionally (FoD, CyB, NyA), but mostly ride in Bringewood, Mortimer, Hopton, Black Mountains, Long Mynd or similar if I’m putting the bike in the car.

I nearly always feel like I ought to be on another bike, or a better bike, or I need a new bike, it’s ridiculous.

‘Best’ bike for what I do would be a shortish travel, carbon, full sus with two sets of wheels. What I have is a Soul, a Zesty, and far too much thinking time.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

type 2 fun?

When I first took up mountain biking, after finally deciding to give up golf, I was out both days every weekend doing a loop from my house of about 35 miles around Surrey, and when winter came a lot of the bridleways were like that or worse, but my fitness was good enough to drive through the mud at a reasonable pace, so it was enjoyable.

I used to have one of those plastic comb like attachments on my rear cassette to clear the mud out (8 speed) and used to wear stuff out a lot until I upgraded to xt standard, apart from the crankshaft where I had to go to middleburn before it was robust.

Nowadays that stuff is less enjoyable, some of which is my fitness and some of which was the change from 8 speed, which I think was better in the mud.

But when I ride my tripster in stuff like that, it seems to be as fun as it used to be, so maybe it is the bike being less xc ?

scotroutes

Mountain Biking Has an Identity Crisis… And it Affects Us All

Personally, I just like riding my bike(s). Most of my rides are in excess of 3 hours and I enjoy being outdoors. There’s no need for a destination or a target. I don’t need to be going fast, or be scared – though sometimes one or both happens.

starrman82
    Free Member

Yeap all the time, I stopped off at the new Wind Hill site & (briefly)watched the gravity types doing their thing whist out on one of my regular XC loops around Longleat Forest & Salisbury Plain. All looked good fun & there was some nice skills from some.
    However I still can’t believe its as good as giving it the berries along some single track on a fast XC bike for a few hours, yes it makes you work hard but for me that’s what its about.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course. Most people still do general riding. Silly.

We still used to race each other on downhills back in the day, we were just doing it on crap bikes. But we still did long days out and local loops and all. Surprised anyone would think that no-one did it any more.

There are in general far more miles being ridden on all kinds of bikes, if the trails are anything to go by.

scotroutes

Surprised anyone would think that no-one did it any more

The gist of the linked piece from Singletracks is that marketing suggests MTBing is all about gravity and that the media are culpable too. I see lots of “old school” riding where I live and that’s what our hire customers are doing, so my perception is maybe different from someone more limited to visiting trail centres, reading the MTB mags and using Red Bull TV as their main source of entertainment.

kcal

I did a part of a figure of eight today, eastern cairngorms. Nothing technical, just a day – or part day – out in the hills. It was sobering to think that the last time I rode one part of the loop was – must have been at least 25 years ago, and we did a monster climb and descent as well on top of what I did today 🙁

At least I kept it real by doing it on a rigid bike as previously!!

scotroutes

I did a part of a figure of eight today, eastern cairngorms

WWMFI????

simondbarnes

It’s pretty much all I do on a mtb

kcal

@scotroutes – in same place as mine for all your Findhorn rides. HTH.

anyway, we’d cancel out and disappear if we actually met, non?

arrange a meet-up. I’ll try and turn up.

🙂

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I don’t like the idea that XC on natural trails is ‘proper mountain biking’ but dicking about in the woods or trail centres aren’t.

I enjoy all 3, with the vast majority of my rides being natural XC esque ones until very recently. Each one has a different appeal so I can see why some people don’t like certain types of riding.

theboatman
    Free Member

Yep, I live in the Peak and can ride from my door, anything from and hour blast to all day. Get a good mix of riding, but I am doing it on a ‘trail’ hardtail, so don’t know if that breaks the rules. I’ve nothing against trail centers, more a matter of using my scare free time riding rather than travelling to ride. It’s all good.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve mentioned before that there’s a “race to, err, somewhere” when it comes to trail centres: riders complain that the trails are too tame so the next set of trails to be built are made tougher then the manufacturers add another 10mm travel to their bikes and forks and the cycle repeats.

Consequently, head out onto natural BWs on the latest bikes and the consensus is “boring”. Of course it is! The riders are completely over-biked for what they are riding. Get on a HT with 80mm or 100mm forks or a rigid and they are much more involved.

Riding home tonight (on a CX/commuter), I remembered my last visit to a trail centre: Forest of Dean exactly a year ago. Edit: I’m not saying that trail centres aren’t “proper” mountain biking just that I don’t like riding them, there’s a difference.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I know most people aren’t saying that. I just noticed a few people saying it wasn’t, or that having an old bike is somehow better or more genuine (it isn’t, it doesn’t matter).

If I lived in the peaks then I don’t think I’d ever go to a trail centre again. The quality of riding there is brilliant for both XC and ‘enduro’.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I don’t understand why people have an axe to grind about how other people cycle. Particularly when they use the word “enduro” as if it was an insult when those enjoying enduro type riding don’t even use that word nor care what it means.

It’s entirely possible to do xc, dh, enduro, whatever. And sometimes on one bike on the same day.

No need for names, discrimination or sniggering.

Poopscoop

Ridiculing over biked but yes,I ride what I consider to be xc and love it just as much as I did when I first discovered mountain bikes back in the 90’s. 🙂

Poopscoop

I meant “ridiculously over biked”! Lol 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

riders complain that the trails are too tame so the next set of trails to be built are made tougher then the manufacturers add another 10mm travel to their bikes and forks and the cycle repeats.

This is a bit of nonsense I’m afraid. Trail centre trails are getting easier the more are built, with the focus being on the average or new rider (the ones there are more of, to pay the parking charges and eat in the cafe to cover the cost of the trails). It doesn’t make sense to build technical trails 10% of visitors can ride. Laggan Black was probably the last traditional hard trail centre route to be built.

Anyway, I like to do rides of a minimum of 15 miles with as many steep and technical descents as I can. I like hard descents, but also like to cover some distance. I do it on bikes with a range of travels but consider my 160mm full sus the bike of choice. I do ride to work over 18 miles on my 29+ hardtail and the last half of that is old fashioned farm tracks, but without the main steep singletrack descent at the start I don’t think it’d me my sort of fun.

jam-bo

Consequently, head out onto natural BWs on the latest bikes and the consensus is “boring”. Of course it is!

Some of the hardest & best riding I know is on BW’s.

milky1980
    Free Member

Still regularly ride the old XC loops I used to do when I first started over 20 years ago, so yes. And I’m still exploring in the old way of following random trails in areas I know well! The FOD is brilliant for doing exactly this, do a lap of the red or blue then head over to the other side of the road and go for a wander. Have lost many, many hours doing this and never tire of it.

I just enjoy riding my bikes full stop, whether that’s a trail centre blast, XC loop or an uplift day doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t understand why people have an axe to grind about how other people cycle. Particularly when they use the word “enduro” as if it was an insult when those enjoying enduro type riding don’t even use that word nor care what it means.

Yep, using enduro as an insult or looking down your nose, just outs you as a fud.

This is a bit of nonsense I’m afraid.

Also true, there’s been very little new stuff built at any trail centre up here in years, and Comrie apart, it’s mainly family stuff.

whitestone
    Free Member

As an example – Gisburn red used to be a single loop with a couple of technical bits. I can’t remember when the work on the new stuff like Home Baked and Hully Gully began, probably about ten years ago, but the red as it is now would have been a black fifteen years ago, almost all the new bits are harder than the old stuff. The old technical bits have been left to degrade and what was once a mildly rocky and rooty descent is now much harder. One of the old tech bits now has a diversion as I don’t think it can sustain current usage levels. There’s a new blue route as well. You could argue that the old red at Gisburn should have been a blue but it was equivalent to other reds, there just wasn’t a lot of it. I’ve noticed similar “drifts” at other TCs over that period of time.

Looking at the above, maybe I should have originally written that the existing TC routes have been allowed to develop/degrade so that they are harder rather than being kept at their original level of difficulty.

I know of hard, technical sections of BW but they are the exceptions, the vast majority of BWs aren’t like that: Garburn to Haweswater, Gunnerside Gill, The Ranger Path are atypical. (I’ll not mention any Scottish descents since legally and sensibly you don’t have the distinction between footpaths and bridleways).

Best get ready for work. Next biking is a road trip in the Lakes then a 200Km blast around the Dales – meant to be gravel bike friendly 😆

bigdean

Reminds me of an old comic relief book.

“Cross country riding:
    For people who rìde in the country side getting cross, the further they ride and more remote the area, the crosser they get.”

WildHunter2009

Having moved back to the Chilterns old school natural xc is pretty much all that’s available. I think I get enough satisfaction out of just being outdoors to enjoy it. It’s different enough from road biking because of all the variety available in routes. The area is criss crossed with bridleway and byways.
    It’s properly soggy at the moment though so am seriously considering heading over to swinley next ride!

It does lend itself to a specific kind of bike though, hardtail and maybe gravel bike’s.

jonostevens
    Free Member

It’s just riding a bike innit, but riding downhill is the best part.

I use the traditional BWs to get to the good bits like others, and I’d also say that a number of BWs I’ve ridden are far more technical than anything I’ve found at a trail centre, which is after all, built to be rideable.

I’ve tried the odd enduro and it’s not really for me, but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy finishing a ride messing around on the local runs for an hour on my way back from the hills. Some beautiful views, a good climb, natural BW descents and a play on the enduro trails is the perfect ride for me.

‘Enduro’ the tag has definitely led to most of us being well over biked IMHO but then the industry has to flog stuff and a shot of an enduro rider hammering a trail looks far more alluring than someone bimbling along a bridleway.

And I do feel riders who purely go to trail centres and enduro runs in the woods miss out on the wider picture, but that’s obviously because I’m a tree hugging great outdoors t*sspot.

rocketman
    Free Member

Nope

I used to ride bleak moorland and miles of doubletrack in the 90s it does my head in now.

Junkyard
    Free Member

THis

Not overly bothered about what the latest cycling trend is for either the bike I should be using or the routes I should be riding

I still ride locally for 95% of my riding as it just seems wrong to use a car to go for a bike ride

What i ride depends on weather and what I am interested in
    Winter tend to do just BW and munch miles [ or use the SS] as its a bit boggy where i am
    Summer a bit more “gnar” and included Big mountain days out in the Lakes

Trail centres dont really interest me personally but I go to Degla about once every three years

TBH who cares I am on a bike whether commuting to work the route I have ridden thousands of times to the local trails to something new who cares I am on a bike so it is better than the alternative of not being able to ride

Rubber_Buccaneer

Nope, used to but these days I only ride aggressive XC 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

There was a local latest bike/latest bike arms race with my usual riding buddies but as we’ve got older we just tend to use what we’ve got with maybe a bit of niche thrown in on the same trails we were riding in the late 80s

amedias
    Free Member

Some of the hardest & best riding I know is on BW’s.

‘aint that the truth! Trail centre trails are designed to be rideable, BW aren’t necessarily designed at all, let alone with a bike in mind. And then there’s the ‘not path’ bits to contend with 😈

The thing that always tickles me about Trail Centre haters is that most of the trail centres appeared because that’s where people were riding anyway, people were already there riding rough trails, and building their own, then when the TC got built you ended up with some nice all weather graded trails with the added bonus that there’s normally still a lot of ‘natural’ stuff still there too if you want it. Win Win!

I guess a lot depends on where you live though, I, like many am lucky enough to live near some amazing natural trails on moorland, in forests and everything in between, as well as close enough to a mediocre trail centre (that also has a lot of natural/off-piste) so I can pick and choose what suits my mood.

If your only option is either to drive somewhere or ride round the edge of fields I can see why you might end up down one path or the other… (pun intended)

Rorschach
    Free Member

yes

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t like the idea that XC on natural trails is ‘proper mountain biking’ but dicking about in the woods or trail centres aren’t.

Me neither.

Who really cares what people ride?

I just like riding my bike and escaping from work etc a few times a week. I’ve ridden for a long time now and have always found myself drawn to DH / mucking about. Even now, my rides are much more fun based playing on favourite runs / jumps because that’s what I’ve ridden since forever and enjoy. All on my hardtail because the local trails aren’t that hardcore so it suits.

epicyclo

Basically any bike, any place, any time, preferably offroad, eg had a Dahon folder up a mountain because that’s what I happened to be on when I saw the trail. So I’m an old style xc and gravel rider.

Scotroute’s comment up there about the reality of what riding is done by the majority as opposed to the magazine image projection nails it.

I leave the hero riding to the future paralympians and walking stick wielders. I’ve been around long enough to know that the odds of consequences eventually catch up with a proportion of people, but it isn’t obvious because we don’t see the broken people out on the trails.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Scotroute’s comment up there about the reality of what riding is done by the majority as opposed to the magazine image projection nails it.

That all depends on your locality tbh, You live in an area surrounded by coffin routes, stalkers paths etc. I live in an area surrounded by farmland and forestry, so most local riders either ride road or ride built stuff, generally short, steep nadgery stuff with drops, jumps etc.

epicyclo

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    That all depends on your locality …

Fair point.

How can you bear to live in such a place though? 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We have good riding locally, Not big long wilderness stuff, but that’s no really my bag anyway. We also have the lakes, tweed valley, Aviemore and FW all within 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hrs drive, Arran an hour on the ferry and all our local moorland and built stuff, so enough to be going on with.

Tbh, even if I lived in the Tweed valley or somewhere else with a huge concentration of trails, I like to travel with my bike, always have done.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone still ride 'Old School' XC mountain biking?’ is closed to new replies.