Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • does anyone on here know UK copyright law?
  • johnhoo
    Free Member

What’s the best way of copyrighting music without having a publishing deal?

Posting yourself a recording and leaving the postmarked package unopened used to be a good way, but does anyone know of a better way?

Or better still, how do you get your music published?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Thing with copyright, as I understand, is that any creation in any medium is the intellectual property of the author, and that copyright exists automatically.

So, basically, you have to prove that the work is your own original creation.

Loads of info here.

As for publishing, it means that you have your work in the public domain; ie, accessible to anyone.

If you bunged your stuff up on a website, that would have proof of date of publishing, for example.

MrAgreeable

Casting my mind back a few years to my law lectures, copyright doesn’t need to be created, it arises automatically when a work of art comes into being. I think these days your biggest problem will be enforcing the copyright, rather than establishing whether it exists.

My knowledge of music publishing is tiny, but I know that you don’t have to go to a big company – you can set up your own or there are independent ones like Just Isn’t Music – you could try getting in touch and seeing if they can help.

johnhoo
    Free Member

many thanks guys 🙂

epicyclo

Post it here- we need a few more bicycling songs –

johnhoo
    Free Member

well this is an off topic forum so it would have to be non-bicycling songs 😉

johnhoo
    Free Member

http://www.wickeffect.co.uk

only one song up there at the moment but we’ll be going into the studio soon…

cynic-al
    Free Member

When I was a kid the word “wick” was an insult, as in:

“Your grifter’s wick, can’t your parents afford a proper bmx?”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘does anyone on here know UK copyright law?’ is closed to new replies.