Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Does anyone not faff with tyres?
  • angryratio
    Free Member

Every day we have a tyre thread.

Does anyone on here just use the same tyres all year no matter what?

the brand is unimportant otherwise this will turn into an ironic tyre thread.

xcgb
    Free Member

Me! High rollers whatever

drofluf
    Free Member

Me 🙂

cplater1
    Free Member

Yep, use them till they wear out then see what I fancy next!

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4 UST with triple compound and front and rear specific.

EDIT: well apart from if DHing in really boggy conditions then spikes, but very rare.

Houns

Me on my main boinger. UST, easy to fit and no punctures

Harry_the_Spider

Me.

I use what I can get cheap! At the moment i’ve got some cheap Kenda Blue Grooves on the full susser and some ones that I found in the shed on my SSHT.

I have not died as a result although the ones on the SS are bobbins in the mud.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Me, I couldn’t tell you what size, make or model of tyres I have without going to look.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I change tyres depending on what riding I am doing – but I only have one proper MTB.

crikey
    Free Member

Me.
    All this what tyre for this, my tyres washed out and did this to me, I must change to a mud tyre because it rained last night stuff is not for me at all. I use one set of tyres and get used to the way they ride in all conditions and change them when they wear out.

santacoops
    Free Member

+1

But i tend to stick to the same.

Tiger6791

till they wear out then see what I fancy next

same but

till they wear out then see what’s cheap next

waveydavey
    Free Member

Me too,
    keep the same tyres on till they wear out. But might change the make/model when I do.
    Currently have a Nobbi Nic on the front and an almost worn out Panaracer Cinder on the rear.

rocketman
    Free Member

Does anyone on here just use the same tyres all year no matter what?

😯

You have got to be kidding tyres are the most important thing. Anyone who thinks they are all black and round simply isn’t trying hard enough.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Yip, use the same ones all year and just replace them with the same again when needed.

flip
    Free Member

Me. Even for racing i use circular black ones with nobbly bits on.

It works well as a plan.

angryratio
    Free Member

Clearly you out-rad me rocketman.

I’ll sell my bikes now.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Yup, why would you need to change them? Bike came with Nevegals, wore them out, On-One selling cheap Nevegals, job done.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Fat albert up front, little albert on the rear. I’ve been running this combo for the past few years

carlos
    Free Member

santacoops – Member

+1

But i tend to stick to the same.

Me too.

I raced SITS with a Specialized Fast Trak on the front and a Hutchinson something or other on the back.
    When it rained, everyone was sliding about. I didn’t feel like I was at a disadvantage because I wasn’t on mud tyres.

cupra
    Free Member

changing tyres eats in to valuable riding time! 😀

uplink
    Free Member

I tend not to but I struggled to find tyres for my new big wheeled thing earlier in the year and ended up buying Bontrager 29-3s

The rear is now worn out after 41 hours use, that’s getting on for a pound an hour!
    so yeh, I’m looking for something different

vinnyeh

Arguably the most important component in a bike’s performance, next to the rider.

clubber
    Free Member

I do now I’ve found some that are good allrounders. I used to change mud/summer tyres as appropriate quite often. Now I’m tubeless I don’t bother – mud x on the SS which only gets ridden locally and Maxxis ingitors on my geared bike though with the new local (Bristol) trails, I’m thinking that I may change the ss to a more all round tyre.

cynic-al
    Free Member

pretty much, narrower ones in winter, lighter ones racing (been 3 years), wider/heavier on Alps hols…

barbus
    Free Member

I have a garage full of tyres, must have 25-30 pairs, I have tried them all. I have in the past spoken for hrs on the great tyre debate. I have come to an expensive conclusion, ITS ALL IN THE HEAD.
    I was once using a certain tyre, Conti Mountain kings I think and getting along just fine, a riding pal said in passing they are great tyres but the front washes out for no reason, even a low speeds. The next thing I know my front (seemed) to be washing at the slightest provication, I litrally couldnt stay on.
    I learnt a lot that day, it really is all in the head.
    Well maybe not all but alot.

I now use Spesh Fast Track until they die and have no plans to change any time soon.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope,

I’ve the following for the Pitch:
    Pair, High Roller 2.35 SPC, maxxpro, kevlar
    Michelin Hot-S, 2.2, reinforced sidewalls, kevlar.
    Pair, High Roller 2.5 DPC, supertacky, steel
    Pair, Spesh Eskar 2.3.
    Rear, Maxxis High Roller-SemiSlick.

For the Hardtail/SS:
    Pair, Spesh Storm 2.0
    Pair, IRC Mythos-F 1.95.

And those are just whats used regularly, a whole pile in the shed of hardly used crap tyres!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I used to. But I found I could manage with ADv’s on all year, so stopped.

mav12
    Free Member

kenda small block 8 on my cross bike all through winter still on now they were cheap at the time

SamB
    Free Member

I don’t bother with changing tyres. Always 2.5″ High Rollers, ST on the front, 60a on the back.

Having said that, both my bikes are dressed for the same purpose and I don’t race competitively or worry about how long a climb takes. If I was serious about racing – XC or DH – then I would absolutely change tyres to suit the course / weather.

As it is, the most important thing to me is grip on the way down, so I stick with tyres that work for that and compromise on the ups.

hugor
    Free Member

The rear is now worn out after 41 hours use, that’s getting on for a pound an hour!
    so yeh, I’m looking for something different

Geez what are you doing to them? I’m using a 29-3 TLR as my rear and think its a great tire. In rocky south Wales its holding up real well.
    I’ve had comparable times to you on Maxxis Crossmarks and WTB Stouts.

Back to the OP. I change for the winter and summer only which usually coincides with the time they need replacing anyway. Summer tires don’t last very long but I ride loads more then.

When mine need changing I like to experiment and try new tires.

CaptainCrash
    Free Member

Me, black rubber things with knobs on, can’t beat ’em.

stumpy01

The ones on the FSR came with it and I leave them on all the time, as I converted them to tubeless and it’s too much effort to chop & change all the time.

On the Inbred I have Speed Kings that stay on until it gets all gloopy in late autumn, then i put some mud tyres on & they stay on until it dries out in April.

If I am going for a particularly gloopy ride on the FSR then I might stick the wheels from the Inbred on, if I think of it.

didmatt
    Free Member

Aye, me!

Had High Rollers on my Spec’ SX Trail for 2yrs, only switched to Conti Race kings due to a bike change, which seem fine and will be staying on for good.

2.3 Spesh Eskars here, stay on all year round.

Also, don’t faff with pressures – my fingers tell me if they are hard enough.

Klunk
    Free Member

had the same tyres on for over 18 months now (its been very dry here), the rears are now very bald and quick but absolutely no traction and squirm around lovely when theres an ocassional shower. Sometimes top up the stans fluid. Tis great.

JonR
    Free Member

Fire XCs have done me proud for years.

Haze

NN’s all year round, probably a couple of years old by now and due a change!

nedrapier

I am also not trying hard enough. Kenda SB8s on the mtb all year round. Mebbe something different when they wear out. Maybe something nobblier as I’ve now got a new bike for ‘cross type rides and road rides:

I swap tyres on the Peregrine, but that was the point of buying it in the 1st place: 28c Gatorskins or 2.0 Race Kings (Rayskins?). I think they’re sufficiently different to warrant the occasional swap!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone not faff with tyres?’ is closed to new replies.