Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Does anyone make watertight exterior doors?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

For houses, I mean. If you lived in a flood risk area, a fully sealed door would keep the waters at bay for the first few feet wouldn’t it?

grahamt1980

As long as you don’t have any air bricks or a downstairs toilet (assuming the drains have flooded too). Otherwise its going to get wet anyway.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It would come through your walls shortly after, and up your toilets and sinks.

brakes
    Free Member

you could just put your house inside a massive big bucket instead.

grahamt1980

Only way would be to make a waterproof wall or bund around the entire house with water tight gates. Also to install a seal on the drains into the house that you can block off when the water level rises

takisawa2

What about the loo though…wouldn’t that overflow if the sewers were flooded…?

DaveT
    Free Member

They do yes, and self sealing air bricks etc. The problem is your house isnt designed as a water proof box, the water will get in somehow such as through the floor, walls and many a scheme has failed this way.

However your local authority can still apply for funding for these “property level flood protection” grants to help you out if you’re at risk.

JoeG
    Free Member

Molgrips, I found your new front door! 😉

matt_outandabout

Build floating houses like in Holland.
    Or just stop building house right next to water and acting surprised when they flood?
    Dutch:

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

How the heck do the Dutch build those?
    I don’t mean the houses themselves, but the connections to utilities like mains/sewage/gas etc if you were dealing with a big quick rise?

paladin

2unfit2ride – Member
    How the heck do the Dutch build those?
    I don’t mean the houses themselves, but the connections to utilities like mains/sewage/gas etc if you were dealing with a big quick rise?

Loops of slack cable/pipe like marinas have

Noah had the right idea I’d say!

footflaps

What about the loo though…wouldn’t that overflow if the sewers were flooded…?

You get self closing valves for sewers, which stop reverse flow. Bit of a pain to retro-fit as you have to dig down the soil pipe, cut a section out, and fit the valve section in.

http://stormrecovery.ny.gov/sites/all/themes/nysandyredesign/files/SMART_Rebuild_FS14.pdf

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone make watertight exterior doors?’ is closed to new replies.